The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

V

Vivek

For some photographers (myself included) putting Leica M mount lenses on the Sony A7R may be reason enough to break out a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne and celebrate. Using an M to E adapter (I have a Metabones), virtually every Leica M lenses that I own works well on the A7R. Some of the ultra-wide and very wides do vignette, so be aware of this. There is no software correction for this, because we're mixing and matching. With other systems where the lens and camera are from the same company there's a lot of magic that can be done in firmware.

I had neither the time nor the full selection of lenses to test in detail what works and what doesn't, but I think it fair to say that most retrofocus design Leica M lenses will work on the A7R. When you consider that this camera has a high resolution EVF, focus peaking, intelligent Auto-ISO – so manual aperture lenses can be used in a semi-automated manner, and of course a 36 Megapixel sensor, this is hot stuff indeed.
An insipid (with pretty much no detail on wides) promo here: Sony A7R Hands-On

J

JohnW

As a dedicated RX1 owner I will almost certainly be going with the A7.

Probably not the A7r as I am still suspicious about the image quality unless the E mount lenses really are excellent quality that can match the resolution of the sensor.

The 24mpx sensor in the RX1 - which is the same as the A99 - which it is claimed will be the same in the A7 - which I am highly suspicious is equal to or the same as the new 'M' is an absolute winner. Colouration, detail etc are excellent. I've never been happier with the output of a digital camera (although either of my two Sigma DP Merrils do contain sharper detail at 100%).

I'd rather spend a little less on a body like the A7 and more on glass.

Well done Sony. I have always felt (and sometimes stated) that Sony are a bit like the Microsoft of the camera world. Always a little late but they will end up owning the camera market.

LouisB
I get the reasoning of spending on lenses. But after using the M9 and now Ricoh GR, I'm sold on no AA filter. Perhaps there are other factors involved, but I see an acuity that I find particularly pleasing.

I suspect if I went for the A7 I'd always be thinking about what I might have gotten with the A7r. Probably irrational, but we all know how it goes with cameras.

John

I get the reasoning of spending on lenses. But after using the M9 and now Ricoh GR, I'm sold on no AA filter. Perhaps there are other factors involved, but I see an acuity that I find particularly pleasing.

I suspect if I went for the A7 I'd always be thinking about what I might have gotten with the A7r. Probably irrational, but we all know how it goes with cameras.

John
Considering their price, why not both? :)

The measurements don't consider volume, the handgrip and viewfinder bulges make the camera seem bigger by absolute measurements, but it's going to "feel" very small.

tashley

Subscriber Member
My 2 cents: one of the problems with the NEX range has been the lack of convincing 'native' lenses, particularly important given the lack of in-body stabilisation and notably marked in the mid-range zoom sector.

This should have been answered by the new Sony Zeiss 16-70 F4 but my first impressions of this lens (see samples in the relevant thread in this forum) are that it is more like a kit lens than you would expect given its label and price point.

For me what that means is that the new A7r is possibly a risky pre-order (not that this has stopped me from pre-ordering one!) because the key lens for my use will be the new 24-70 f4. It's a small and light lens compared to the (near) equivalents from Canikon but if it doesn't aim any higher than the 16-70 F4 E mount lens (and it is comparable in price) then it risks rendering that lovely sensor somewhat pointless: of course like all diligent photographers I use primes for serious use but a better than adequate mid range zoom is a core requirement for me in a system camera...

jonoslack

My 2 cents: one of the problems with the NEX range has been the lack of convincing 'native' lenses, particularly important given the lack of in-body stabilisation and notably marked in the mid-range zoom sector.

This should have been answered by the new Sony Zeiss 16-70 F4 but my first impressions of this lens (see samples in the relevant thread in this forum) are that it is more like a kit lens than you would expect given its label and price point.

For me what that means is that the new A7r is possibly a risky pre-order (not that this has stopped me from pre-ordering one!) because the key lens for my use will be the new 24-70 f4. It's a small and light lens compared to the (near) equivalents from Canikon but if it doesn't aim any higher than the 16-70 F4 E mount lens (and it is comparable in price) then it risks rendering that lovely sensor somewhat pointless: of course like all diligent photographers I use primes for serious use but a better than adequate mid range zoom is a core requirement for me in a system camera...
HI There Tim
Hope you're well.
I quite agree - sadly the The Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 was similarly less good than one might have been expected.

I'm in exactly the same place as you are . . .. (risky pre-order), I'm really waiting to see how it works with the medium wide leica lenses, if they are good then I'll go ahead, if not, then perhaps not. We shall see.

all the best

Rawfa

Does anyone know if Pentax K lenses cover full frame? I have a 50mm that I love to death and I´d love to use it on the A7.

biglouis

Despite my earlier ramblings about going for the A7 that was made before seeing the pricing for the A7r. An absolute no-brainer at the price.

I've pre-ordered with WEX the only issue I can see is that I will probably have to take delivery of the body before the lens I want is available which is the 55/1.8. I'll then wait to see what the jury says but my ideal other lens would either be a Leica 21/2.8 or a Zeiss 21/2.8. With my RX1, the A7r and those two lenses, I would be made.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Nettar

Over on dpreview there is a thread discussing the interesting Sony A7r field test by Brian Smith (Field Test: Sony A7R Review l Brian Smith Pictures) on which some of you have commented. In one of the posts there (Re: Sony A7R Field Test: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) Mr Smith replies to a questioner who remarked, "The 18mm Zeiss ZM is a distagon design, so it doesn't stay that close to the sensor. Results from the 24mm Leica should be more telling for corner performance with wide angles." Mr Smith's reply is as follows: "Actually just the opposite. 24 Leica is barely noticeable shift. 18 Zeiss is pretty easy to correct - just not as easy as the 18 Zeiss. Either way adjustments can be cr[e]ated as lens profiles or batch applied." (I guess that in the comment "just not as easy as the 18 Zeiss" he meant "24 Leica.")

This exchange seems to lead to two conclusions: (i) In the case of the Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 (this lens is referred to elsewhere in Mr Smith's test) one can indeed see a colour shift at the extreme edge edge, although it is "barely noticeable." (It might be conjectured that there would be less of a problem with the Elmar f/3.8 Asph.) (ii) The 18mm ZM lens is more problematic, although not terribly so. (This sheds light on various comments elsewhere on the web, indicating that the 18mm ZM might, or might not, give trouble.)

A discussion in this general area, so far inconclusive, has opened at systemkamera-forum.de, and can be found in translation at: Google Translate

Here is the German original: Messsucher Objektive (Leica M, M39, Contax G & Co.) an Sony KB E-Mount - Systemkamera Forum

It's worth mentioning too Luminous Landscape's very positive, but rather unspecific, remarks concerning Leica lenses on the 7r: "Overall, I can not recommend the A7R highly enough for anyone looking to find a new body for their Leica lenses..." (Sony A7R Hands-On) Mr Reichmann makes these comments after at least a degree testing, and adds that "I think it fair to say that most retrofocus design Leica M lenses will work on the A7R." (Technical minds might add that no Leica M lenses, except the WATE and MATE, are strictly retrofocus, but we know what he means.)

However, we still have a way to go before we understand these issues! Nettar

V

Vivek

Nettar, you summarise the various posts here before. Nothing is certain.

I am, however, positive that this E mount will flourish only when fully compatible and compact lenses are developed for it. Leica etc lenses are great for the initial runs and some enthusiastic posts but would be of limited practical significance.

With the ever changing LA-EA4 adapters...one ought not forget the souls who have bought in to the A mount system as well.