The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looks like a move...

Jim DE

I was going through the popular auction site on the web and is it just me or are there far more RX-1's for sale on it than normal. Think the move is on to switch on to the NEX FF rumored camera if it becomes fact.

I too am very interested in a FF NEX body but I will wait till after the dust settles this time before I jump onboard that ship so as not to be disappointed with wide angle legacy glass performance as I was jumping too early on the NEX 7.

Shashin

It could be because people are trading in their RX-1 for an RX-1R. And number of members here have done that. I don't think people trade in cameras for a product that does not exist nor has been announced.

Jim DE

Will I am even seeing RX-1/RX-1r thread activity slowing on several internet sites.......

I have been watching these threads closely as the RX-1 idea has been tickling my wallet recently and my wallet is not laughing.... ;)

Shashin

Jim, the RX-1 threads were always slow, at least for images once the newness wore off--this is true for every camera. The discussion is probably waning is there is nothing to talk about. The RX-1 was never a high volume camera and so there are a limited number of owners. But just yesterday I took about 80 images in the evening with my RX-1 and use it quite often. But within the last month or so, a number of GetDPI members have turned up with an RX-1(R).

But you know the FF Nex won't be announced until you buy an RX-1, so many people are depending on you. Better sooner than later...

Jim DE

Will, Ain't that the truth ..... I can see that happening without a doubt (buying a RX-1 and a NEX FF without any legacy glass issues come out the following week :( )

I have had some bad luck with gear over the years.... For example .. Bought a Contax g2 and watched a few months later Contax as a brand disappear :(. Bought a KM 7D and system only months later it too sold out to Sony. I told other hey if you want a brand name to vanish just let me buy one ;) remember Polarvision ? Yup bought one of those too ..... And Betamax vcr's? Yup that too. Pentax 6x7, bronica 645, Honeywell spotmatic, etc... Seeing a trend? :(

Uaiomex

Maybe I've been luckier than you. The only real vanishing act that has happened to me, was recently with the Hasselblad V system.
Well, that counts for 10 disappearings!

Eduardo

Will, Ain't that the truth ..... I can see that happening without a doubt (buying a RX-1 and a NEX FF without any legacy glass issues come out the following week :( )

I have had some bad luck with gear over the years.... For example .. Bought a Contax g2 and watched a few months later Contax as a brand disappear :(. Bought a KM 7D and system only months later it too sold out to Sony. I told other hey if you want a brand name to vanish just let me buy one ;) remember Polarvision ? Yup bought one of those too ..... And Betamax vcr's? Yup that too. Pentax 6x7, bronica 645, Honeywell spotmatic, etc... Seeing a trend? :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The NEX 9 has been rumoured to be arriving "very soon" for almost as long as the NEX system has existed. Has anyone actually seen a camera? A lens? Some piece of technical specification?

The m240 has problems with wide angles. Don't expect miracles. There is nothing wrong with using cornerfix on leica files or nex files.

Shashin

Bought a KM 7D and system only months later it too sold out to Sony.
But at least Sony made their camera compatible with Minolta lenses. They still are.

But just in case the jinx has not worn off, don't buy into the Pentax 645D system. ;-) You haven't recently bought a Hasselblad. have you?

Jim DE

Jorgen, Zeiss has made a full frame e mount lens announcement and two others are rumored in the pipeline..... kinda give the hint of a possibility of a FF NEX happening soon imo.

No Pentax 645D for me .... I like a roof over my head as food on the table ;) Digital medium format backs equal the prices I paid for my first two houses and these digital back have no fenced in yard or garages. The prices they get for those are just far too high for a retiree on a fixed income in this economy as a hobby item.

douglasf13

The m240 has problems with wide angles. Don't expect miracles. There is nothing wrong with using cornerfix on leica files or nex files.
The difference is that, while Leica may still have color shift issues, the m240 doesn't have major detail smearing as you go to the edges of the frame, which could happen with a FF NEX and M lenses, considering it even happens with aps-c NEX cameras.

As far as the RX1 is concerned, it is a pretty specialized camera, so I wouldn't be surprised if many sell theirs in favor of a FF NEX. For me, the RX1 is just what the doctor ordered, and I have little interest in giving up the camera, as I prefer using the single focal length, and an interchangeable design just can't compete with a fixed focal length, in terms of size and quality, so I don't really see myself feeling like my RX1 is "outdated" for a long time.