The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a900 as a walkabout camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just a few thoughts about "walkaround" from someone who has neither the Sony, nor the Pentax nor the Panasonic:

As long as I have the camera in my hand, taking photos, I never think about the size of the thing (but then I don't think much, and sometimes I forget what focal length I'm using, and get surprised when looking through the viewfinder finding myself in a different world than expected :rolleyes: ). Seen from that point of view, I think that the A900 with a large lens, like the 135/1.8, would be as functional as a K20D with a pancake or the G1 with a tiny zoom.

What is bothersome however, is when I don't take photos, being transported from one place to another, moving around in shops (and public toilets, try turning around in a toilet booth with a Nikkor 80-200 AF-S over your shoulder) or finding space for the camera on top of a restaurant table.

Although I have never owned a Pentax, since they started on their Limited series of lenses, I've looked upon them as the ideal walkaround alternative to Leica, at least in the digital world, and unless you want to use zooms. The G1 changes the rules quite a bit of course, but that doesn't make the Pentax less attractive, and it's the only game in town if you want fast, compact, image stabilised lenses with autofocus.

The solution? Never sell a camera. I realised that too late, the day after I sold my Rolleiflex 4x4, and I've lived by it ever since. Having too many cameras may seem like a waste of space and money, but have you ever heard about a carpenter complaining that he has too many hammers?

nostatic

Yeah, I've decided that I'm certainly not going to sell the Pentax for the Sony. The small primes are just too nice. Plus I just picked up a Voigtlander 58/1.4 and while I'm spoiled by AF on the other lenses, the Cosina/Zeiss glass is fabulous. Actually, that lens is making me ponder adding the Sony simply to be able to shoot AF Zeiss glass.

Hmm, DLux4, K20d w/small primes, a900 w/28-70/2.8. That might work :p