The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

V

Vivek

Nice.

A couple of things:

1. The whole world has been been wondering about how old lenses (wides and normals) plus short flange mount lenses (Leica, again wides and normals not tele) do on these. Odd that you would miss checking that (except the Canon zoom).

2. Was it last Xmas that you put out a video talking about digital FM3A? :) Do we have that in the new SOny cams?

3. Thanks for the shutter noise demo. :) They are loud beasts. A big let down (from Sony) for me.

mbroomfield

Thanks for the video.

I'll echo Vivek's question about wide RF lenses as we know the Nex 7 had a lot of colour cast and corner smearing issues with only an APSc sensor on many wides.

The A7r features offset microlenses to help with this so I'd like to see some testing. But due to the offset how do longer tele's work (135mm +), ie do the offset lenses cause corner issues?

Thanks

fotografz

Thanks for the review.

I'm a hot candidate for this camera to use my M lenses for occasional color shots.

My main M camera is the MM, and to me Rangefinder work means B&W. So all I care about is something to do a few color shots while traveling or casually walking about using the same M lenses I already have with me. Just not enough interest in color to fork over $7,000 for a M240.

Would be nice to know if the wider M lenses work ... but they must have done something with the sensor to accept W/A optics since they offer a 24-70 FE lens. It'd be nice to work with my M21/1.4 ASPH without needing a aux finder to frame with.

The M50/0.95 Nocti with 36 meg FF should be interesting.

- Marc

M

mjr

Hi

Thanks for the review, I have watched a couple of yours before and I like the style, they're easy to watch, good job.

The 7r is a very interesting camera for sure, looking forward to seeing some correctly processed RAW's.

I absolutely love the RX1, I work in some dangerous places and it is amazing for what I want, having the fixed 35mm has never bothered me but I will look at the 7r for sure, handy if I can use my nikon mount Zeiss lenses on it.

Cheers

Mat

One more question - How sturdy does the tilt-screen mechanism feel? Is there any flex or is it rock solid with metal joints and everything?

jonoslack

Like Marc and Vivek, I'm really interested in how M lenses wider than 35mm perform on the camera (I'm assuming 35 and above will be okay).
Especially with regards to colour shift.
Any information would be gratefully received

all the best

V

Vivek

I will be very specific- Chris should check out the 21/1.8 Ultron.

Murmur has it that it should be OK.

mbroomfield

Jordan, Chris said that 200ISO was the lowest in the video. The specs all list 100. Was that due to you using a pre-prod camera?

Thanks

jfirneno

Hello Jordan:

Always enjoy your video reviews. I know you were shooting in daylight and you worked mostly with the 36mp camera but do you know if the 24mp camera can autofocus effectively (and hopefully reasonably quickly) in indoor low light situations?

Regards,
John

Jordan, Chris said that 200ISO was the lowest in the video. The specs all list 100. Was that due to you using a pre-prod camera?

Thanks
Both, sort of... The full camera specs are now on Sony.com, and the camera's native ISO is 100 in photo mode, and ISO200 in movie mode.

Godfrey

Interesting.

They look like interesting pieces of equipment. The big sensor is the obvious plus, but in both the video presented at the top and in the LuLa discussion I read between the lines a lot of "this is cool, but there are a lot of ambiguities" meme.

I'm sure the equipment has the potential to go a long way. One question is where will it actually go. Sony is famous for putting lots of things on the market that are not developed further.

The other question is, more specifically, "what am I really looking for now?"

The most important quality of a camera to me at present is that it disappear. I don't want to think about sensor size, controls, details of technology, etc. I want the camera to simply do what I want, at whatever level its capabilities allow, and let me get onto the business of seeing and understanding what my subject matter is. And then to bring to me its unique way of capturing that, in such a manner that it suits my vision.

The Leica M9 does that. The Hasselblad SWC does that. I'm finding the Polaroid Spectra does that. And though I've had it only days and barely had enough time to put it to use, the Olympus E-M1 shows early signs of doing that.

Will the Sony A7 too? Is it more in the mind of the photographer, or does the equipment intrude in some more fundamental way?

Interesting.

G