Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

Hey guys,

I've shot this field test with the just-announced A7 &A7R cameras.

Sony A7 & A7R Hands-On Field Test - YouTube

Here's my blog post as well:
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/...nds-field-test

I've spent a lot of time with these cameras, and I'd love to hear any questions you guys have!
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

Nice.

A couple of things:

1. The whole world has been been wondering about how old lenses (wides and normals) plus short flange mount lenses (Leica, again wides and normals not tele) do on these. Odd that you would miss checking that (except the Canon zoom).

2. Was it last Xmas that you put out a video talking about digital FM3A? Do we have that in the new SOny cams?

3. Thanks for the shutter noise demo. They are loud beasts. A big let down (from Sony) for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the video.

I'll echo Vivek's question about wide RF lenses as we know the Nex 7 had a lot of colour cast and corner smearing issues with only an APSc sensor on many wides.

The A7r features offset microlenses to help with this so I'd like to see some testing. But due to the offset how do longer tele's work (135mm +), ie do the offset lenses cause corner issues?

Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the review.

I'm a hot candidate for this camera to use my M lenses for occasional color shots.

My main M camera is the MM, and to me Rangefinder work means B&W. So all I care about is something to do a few color shots while traveling or casually walking about using the same M lenses I already have with me. Just not enough interest in color to fork over $7,000 for a M240.

Would be nice to know if the wider M lenses work ... but they must have done something with the sensor to accept W/A optics since they offer a 24-70 FE lens. It'd be nice to work with my M21/1.4 ASPH without needing a aux finder to frame with.

The M50/0.95 Nocti with 36 meg FF should be interesting.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post the shots from these? Youtube compression am cry.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Thanks for the review, I have watched a couple of yours before and I like the style, they're easy to watch, good job.

The 7r is a very interesting camera for sure, looking forward to seeing some correctly processed RAW's.

I absolutely love the RX1, I work in some dangerous places and it is amazing for what I want, having the fixed 35mm has never bothered me but I will look at the 7r for sure, handy if I can use my nikon mount Zeiss lenses on it.

Cheers

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

One more question - How sturdy does the tilt-screen mechanism feel? Is there any flex or is it rock solid with metal joints and everything?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like Marc and Vivek, I'm really interested in how M lenses wider than 35mm perform on the camera (I'm assuming 35 and above will be okay).
    Especially with regards to colour shift.
    Any information would be gratefully received

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be very specific- Chris should check out the 21/1.8 Ultron.

Murmur has it that it should be OK.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Hey guys,

I've shot this field test with the just-announced A7 &A7R cameras.

Sony A7 & A7R Hands-On Field Test - YouTube

Here's my blog post as well:
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/...nds-field-test

I've spent a lot of time with these cameras, and I'd love to hear any questions you guys have!

Nice review I really like seeing your reviews !
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan, Chris said that 200ISO was the lowest in the video. The specs all list 100. Was that due to you using a pre-prod camera?

Thanks
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jordan:

Always enjoy your video reviews. I know you were shooting in daylight and you worked mostly with the 36mp camera but do you know if the 24mp camera can autofocus effectively (and hopefully reasonably quickly) in indoor low light situations?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    Jordan, Chris said that 200ISO was the lowest in the video. The specs all list 100. Was that due to you using a pre-prod camera?

Thanks
    Both, sort of... The full camera specs are now on Sony.com, and the camera's native ISO is 100 in photo mode, and ISO200 in movie mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Like Marc and Vivek, I'm really interested in how M lenses wider than 35mm perform on the camera (I'm assuming 35 and above will be okay).
    Especially with regards to colour shift.
    Any information would be gratefully received

all the best
    This might help
    Sony A7R Hands-On

David

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work as usual Jordan.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    This might help
    Sony A7R Hands-On

David

Not really, he doesn't seem to own many WA lenses.
    The Leica lenses he has were listed in an article I recently saw.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

They look like interesting pieces of equipment. The big sensor is the obvious plus, but in both the video presented at the top and in the LuLa discussion I read between the lines a lot of "this is cool, but there are a lot of ambiguities" meme.

I'm sure the equipment has the potential to go a long way. One question is where will it actually go. Sony is famous for putting lots of things on the market that are not developed further.

The other question is, more specifically, "what am I really looking for now?"

The most important quality of a camera to me at present is that it disappear. I don't want to think about sensor size, controls, details of technology, etc. I want the camera to simply do what I want, at whatever level its capabilities allow, and let me get onto the business of seeing and understanding what my subject matter is. And then to bring to me its unique way of capturing that, in such a manner that it suits my vision.

The Leica M9 does that. The Hasselblad SWC does that. I'm finding the Polaroid Spectra does that. And though I've had it only days and barely had enough time to put it to use, the Olympus E-M1 shows early signs of doing that.

Will the Sony A7 too? Is it more in the mind of the photographer, or does the equipment intrude in some more fundamental way?

Interesting.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does this camera have a bulb mode???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Nikon G adapter to use on such a body. Would like full capability . This could be a nice backup to my D800E and a smaller body to travel with and not give up MPX.

My other thought is post, The D800e is not the most fun in C1 and without giving up my Nikon glass one wonders how this body will do in post. Yea my mind is thinking ahead here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jordon - any idea what the max flash sync speed is? Unlike the RX1,which has a leaf shutter, these bodies appear to use a focal plane shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by padams View Post
    Jordon - any idea what the max flash sync speed is? Unlike the RX1,which has a leaf shutter, these bodies appear to use a focal plane shutter.
    It's in the link Vivek posted above - 1/160th - which is on par with most cameras with this sensor size.

I figured out the bulb mode thing myself, apparently you need to set it to M and then set the shutter speed below 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    What Nikon G adapter to use on such a body. Would like full capability . This could be a nice backup to my D800E and a smaller body to travel with and not give up MPX.
    I don't think there any "smart" adapters yet, some will give you an aperture ring for G lenses, but no electrical contacts.

My other thought is post, The D800e is not the most fun in C1 and without giving up my Nikon glass one wonders how this body will do in post. Yea my mind is thinking ahead here.
    Sony claims to be using it's own bayer filter and color processing, so who knows how this goes, the only thing this sensor has in common with the D800E is megapixel count

Post Thanks / Like

TCSJordan, great article. I have a couple of doubts for you though.

1 - Will all current APS-C e-mount lenses benefit from the A7/A7Rs new auto focus system or only the new e-mount FF lenses that were just released?
    2 - Do these cameras suffer from the same overheating issues all other NEX cameras sufferd from?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the OP for this video - really useful and you are one hell of a slick performer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nice.

A couple of things:

1. The whole world has been been wondering about how old lenses (wides and normals) plus short flange mount lenses (Leica, again wides and normals not tele) do on these. Odd that you would miss checking that (except the Canon zoom).

2. Was it last Xmas that you put out a video talking about digital FM3A? Do we have that in the new SOny cams?

3. Thanks for the shutter noise demo. They are loud beasts. A big let down (from Sony) for me.
    1. Tragically, we only had a few hours with the cameras and weren't able to test out any ultrawides. I did drop on a Leica 28mm F2.8 ASPH, and there was no noticeable vignetting or corner softness. I'll test this much more when I get a production camera and RAW converter.

2. That was the Christmas special:
    The Holiday Special: Christmas Fantasy Cameras - YouTube
    This is probably the closest thing to a classic compact manual DSLR. Chris would still like to see one with an optical viewfinder down the road, but the Sony has the same intuitiveness for manual shooters.

3. The shutter is damned loud. A shame, maybe we'll see an electronic shutter option down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting this video; you've got my attention!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1. Tragically, we only had a few hours with the cameras and weren't able to test out any ultrawides. I did drop on a Leica 28mm F2.8 ASPH, and there was no noticeable vignetting or corner softness. I'll test this much more when I get a production camera and RAW converter.
    Well, you couldn't have been much more brutal - that lens is lovely and sharp, but it's seriously prone to vignetting and colour shift, so if it was okay, then we're looking good.

Mind you, you need a good old english sky to get the worst out of colour shift!

ps - I really enjoyed the video - thank you

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

From my investigations about G adapters I could not find one which supports full capability.

BUT there is one for Canon from Metabones, which supports full capability. Which might be the end for my Nikon system - we will see

Post Thanks / Like

How is it for shooting sports?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    From my investigations about G adapters I could not find one which supports full capability.
    ???

Here it is: http://www.metabones.com/product/son...ck-matt-detail

The best Nikon G to E mount adapter in the market. The mechanics were worked out by the same mechanical engineer who was also part of the Speed Booster's design.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2. That was the Christmas special:
    The Holiday Special: Christmas Fantasy Cameras - YouTube
    This is probably the closest thing to a classic compact manual DSLR. Chris would still like to see one with an optical viewfinder down the road, but the Sony has the same intuitiveness for manual shooters.

3. The shutter is damned loud. A shame, maybe we'll see an electronic shutter option down the road.
    Thanks, Jordan.

I look forward to your update. I think this camera is worth making a part II.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, honest appraisal. I always enjoy thecamerastore videos. If l lived in your neck of the woods I'd buy from your store!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice.

A couple of things:

Vivek, suspect in the not too distant future, there will implementation of the global shutter. Then you will truly have a silent shutter, but we may have to wait for the A7r ii or A9r

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let us hope so, mazor. The rumors site hinted that. Also with 50mp or so resolution.

Post Thanks / Like

???

Here it is: Sony NEX System (NEX Full Frame Ready) : Nikon G to E-mount/NEX (Black Matt)

The best Nikon G to E mount adapter in the market. The mechanics were worked out by the same mechanical engineer who was also part of the Speed Booster's design.
    But there are no contacts to transfer data from lens to camera - or do I miss something? So it is not what the EOS to E mount adapter type III is, which supports all contacts as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You did not and I did. There is no E mount (or any mount) to Nikon AF (G) like the Canon ones. No AF, no transfer of lens info to camera, no VR.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    How is it for shooting sports?
    Mikal, evidently, using the Sony LA-EA4 adapter this camera will AF faster than the A900, and as fast or faster than the A99.

Vivek put me onto this blog post which addressees that:

Field Test: Sony A7R l Brian Smith Pictures

I ordered one of the a7rs, and hopefully will have it when I see you in January, so we can goof around with it

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

You did not and I did. There is no E mount (or any mount) to Nikon AF (G) like the Canon ones. No AF, no transfer of lens info to camera, no VR.
    There likely isn't much demand for it... From what I gather, D800/E users often try on every lens that's not a Nikkor, so I'm guessing they're not the highlight of the Nikon system. (don't hurt me)

Mikal, evidently, using the Sony LA-EA4 adapter this camera will AF faster than the A900, and as fast or faster than the A99.
    Ok, now that's cool... maybe I don't need to keep a DSLR for the fast stuff after all? "Faster than A99" needs to be put into perspective though, how fast is it compared to say... a 5D3?
    Edit: And will it function the way the way it does on the A99 (focus tracking), or is it just a center focus point?
    Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 17th October 2013 at 03:23.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    There likely isn't much demand for it... From what I gather, D800/E users often try on every lens that's not a Nikkor, so I'm guessing they're not the highlight of the Nikon system. (don't hurt me)

Ok, now that's cool... maybe I don't need to keep a DSLR for the fast stuff after all? "Faster than A99" needs to be put into perspective though, how fast is it compared to say... a 5D3?
    Edit: And will it function the way the way it does on the A99, or is it just a center focus point?
    I believe it is multi-point auto focus.

AF comparisons camera to camera have a lot of variables ... While I never use tracking focus, I would expect Canon is better at that than Sony ... but I wouldn't really know myself. My friend has a 5D-III and the AF is better than on his previous 5D-II, but I think my A99 is just as fast or faster than his 5D-III camera.

The real variable is the lenses. Almost anything is faster than the Canon 85/1.2L, the 50/1.2L is a bit faster but not a speed-demon either. Sony lenses with the screw driven or SAM AF drive are slower than the lenses with SSM AF.

I've never seen a direct comparison on AF speed combined with accuracy.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

Brian Smith is a local Miami boy who got his start shooting sports. I have read some of his reviews of other cameras and he always puts the cameras through their "sports" paces.

Even though I should hang on to the a900 I just may have to buy one of these little beasts even if it has an EVF.

I tried dragging the shutter tonight but the images were totally blown out.

January will be alot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

What irks me is that I have to buy a slick adapter for the A mount lenses to work on this E system. By the time I am done the camera body will cost a shade under 3k, which is still preferable to spending 5k or close on a used M9.

Being a novice at AF tracking, I think that almost anyone using almost any kind of camera, including a film rangefinder, can track an image going parallel to the shooter. I think it takes more than a fair amount of skill to use AF when the image is coming towards the shooter. A great AF camera is useless if the shooter can't also anticipate when he / she needs to hit the shutter.

Luckily the stuff I shoot (my 8 year old son's swimming and a bit of high school swimming for my friend the swim coach) lends itself to manual focus shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikal,

Nice used M9s have fallen under $4000.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and thanks for the offer to answer questions --

I'm curious as to if they A7/r has clean HDMI out for feeding into a hardrive recorder?
    While its not a deal breaker for me, I am curious as to if its possible?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One quick question for TCSJordan:

Does this camera have focus peaking? I can't seem to find it in the specs.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided I'm not going to buy it because it has an autumn leaves setting, wtf is that all about?! An autumn leaves setting!!!

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is my line of thought wrong or will I be able to fit the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 to the A7R?

What a combination that must be! Gulp

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    I've decided I'm not going to buy it because it has an autumn leaves setting, wtf is that all about?! An autumn leaves setting!!!
    Rumor has it that this function is disabled from late November to September the following year and automatically substituted from April to early September with a green leaves setting, but the best thing is the no leave setting from December to March whereby the camera can not be operated at all. Only the A7w adapter will unlock the camera functions to work from 12-03 and comes at 299 bucks but will not be released before 31st of February 2014.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW the 14mm Samyang on the Nikon is quite good. Loaded with distortion but PT lens corrections fixes it very easily and sharp.