Site Sponsors

View Poll Results: A7 or A7r

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • A7

    26 17.22%
  • A7r

    125 82.78%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 211

Thread: A7 or A7r

  1. #51
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Yea that would be a wonderfull combo. Things are just big and heavy in the big gun arena be nice to have a RF type of machine
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  2. #52
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Has anyone read reports of quantifiable differences in AF due to the on-sensor phase-detection? Saying it's "better" doesn't really help me decide whether it's a feature worth buying into. Maybe it will be similar to compare AF performance in the NEX6 vs 7?

  3. #53
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Apparently there's a report that the A7r is 40% faster than the NEX7 but sorry, I don't have a link.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  4. #54
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by roanjoh View Post
    Based on this poll - I shouldn't be worried about the a7 selling out! LOL! It seems everyone (or most everyone) wants the a7r.
    After thinking about it, I am not so sure now. With FF and 24Mpixels the pixel pitch being better, the a7 may be better at low light out of the two - if that's your thing.

    Also the price difference is greater than I first thought. As "hot" shows here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542643-post151.html



    the price for a a7 with lens is still less than a7r body only.

    I need to see a total list of differences. Also having different sensors, its valid to compare the samples too. A few a7r samples I've seen are excellent IMO.

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Tim, In fact, the camera stores team on youtube did allude to that- the A7 being about 1/2stop better than the A7r.

    OTOH, the poll here is fairly reflective of the overall trend. The A7r is most most ordered (including camera bags,mpouches, etc) photographic item on Amazon, the one true indicator of photography nowadays.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORCAL
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    can't wait for my A7r to show up. plan to use it for assignment work internationally. tired of lugging D4's and even D800's into jungles or through airports. i will keep the Rx1 for times when i need a quiet shutter--which is frequent when shooting in the middle east. loud shutters attract guns...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    I've pre-ordered the A7. My requirements are based on a different combination of plans. I intend to use it for use with legacy glass (Contax G, Nikon and some Zeiss/Sony/Minolta items) but also I want a camera that can auto-focus indoors with the FE lenses. If the reviews in November don't indicate good autofocus in low light I'll probably cancel the order.

    Regards,
    John

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    The A7 specs are here: Sony Global - Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7

    Way better than that of the A7r (shutter, flash sync speed, etc)!

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The A7 specs.....Way better than that of the A7r (shutter, flash sync speed, etc)!
    Vivek, or anyone....

    Please excuse my total ignorance on the shutter description, but does it indicate a quiet shutter? If so; I'd gladly accept that in trade for more pixels, and the improved flash synch would be a bonus.

    ........... Chris

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Chris,

    it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

    The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

    Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Chris,

    it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

    The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

    Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.
    Assuming you wish to use legacy lenses wider than 35mm, I would stick with the A7R given that it has the gapless, micro-lens array while the A7 does not.

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Assuming you wish to use legacy lenses wider than 35mm, I would stick with the A7R given that it has the gapless, micro-lens array while the A7 does not.
    You are assuming based on an assumption. Has anyone shown that the A7r is better for non telecentric lenses and the A7 is poor for them?

    I would really like to know the actual difference. If any such tests come up anywhere, please post some links.

    Yes, we have seen the Sony promo and the conjecture (I do wish that would come true as well).

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You are assuming based on an assumption. Has anyone shown that the A7r is better for non telecentric lenses and the A7 is poor for them?

    I would really like to know the actual difference. If any such tests come up anywhere, please post some links.

    Yes, we have seen the Sony promo and the conjecture (I do wish that would come true as well).
    That's a fair point. Until we see legacy wides shot on both we don't really know how much better the A7R will be over the A7, if at all. But if the NEX7, with it's smaller APS sensor, is anything to go by, I can't imagine the A7 will perform well at all without the micro-lens array.

  14. #64
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    I was going to ask you guys but I googled and found there is a nice breakdown of the technical differences between the A7 and A7r here - Sony A7 vs A7R

    While my head says the A7r, this sample http://www.sony.net/Products/di/comm...to_sample1.jpg says there is a good reason to consider the A7, as does the author above.

    Perhaps some of it comes down to how each of the two sensors will behave with specific lenses as to which you pick. For me I'd prefer the version that works with wides and super wides as that's what I use. Others have differing wants and needs. In the end you pays your money and you get whats youse gets IQ wise.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    ,,,,,, HUGE DIFFERENCE. ....
    Vivek, and lambert,

    Thank you, I'm surprised that the noise difference hasn't been highlighted in the early reviews I've seen. I'm a manual focus, legacy lens, 50mm and under photographer, and shutter noise can be critical. I'll watch and see how these cameras behave in rigorous tests.

    .............. Chris

  16. #66
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    After thinking about it, I am not so sure now. With FF and 24Mpixels the pixel pitch being better, the a7 may be better at low light out of the two - if that's your thing.

    Also the price difference is greater than I first thought. As "hot" shows here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542643-post151.html....
    That's my thinking, too. I first thought the R was a no-brainer for me, but now I'm not so sure. All I really wanted was a Nex 7 upgrade, and the A7 does that. I sure don't need 36 Mp, and I would value the post-processing and storage implications of smaller files. The compelling R feature for me is no AA. But we'll have to wait and see how much difference there really is.

    John

  17. #67
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: A7 or A7r

    A7R of course

    We have hords of wild boars settling in around the house here, and walking alone through the woods is kinda nerv wrecking, but the light maschine gun shutter sound should do the job keeping them at bay.

    Seriously though....

    we do have too many wild boars around here!

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    ...............
    Oh and for a laugh: Compare camera dimensions side by side have a look at the view from the side.
    Quite startling Ben. I've attached the comparison below. I was tempted by the D800E, but when I compared the Nikon body and lenses to my existing 645D system there was little reduction in size and weight, so for me little advantage; but the Sony ......

    Tom

    Compare camera dimensions side by side

  19. #69
    Workshop Member kuau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Park City, UT
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I voted A7r but - thinking about it, I'd be using it with alt lenses. Given Roger Cicala's recent blog post on adaptors and the fact that I doubt that most non modern lenses, especially when adapted can come close to actually maximising 36 megapixels, I think I'd just go for the A7. If I was using it with modern Leica or Zeiss glass and $300 adaptors it would be different but I wouldn't be.
    Ben I agree with you, I had really hoped that Sony would have stuck with 24MP for the A7 and offer one with and one without an AA filter. IMHO 36MP is pushing the boundaries of 35mm FF, way to demanding on lenses and also perfect technique is always required then add Rogers findings on using adaptors I think this is a big issue.

    Maybe the A7 will not have a very strong AA filter but I doubt it, I assume Sony put the AA filter in because of video.

    I guess Sony was forced by "market demands" to have a 36MP camera.

    For me I will stick with my MF kit when I want super hi res images.

    Lastly I had hoped for even a better EVF then the A99 but correct me if I am wrong they are sticking with the same one. Not that the A99 EVF is bad, but it would been nice to improve on it.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

  20. #70
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Quite startling Ben. I've attached the comparison below. I was tempted by the D800E, but when I compared the Nikon body and lenses to my existing 645D system there was little reduction in size and weight, so for me little advantage; but the Sony ......

    Tom

    Compare camera dimensions side by side
    Damn that is small. I'm going to have to order one
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Damn that is small. I'm going to have to order one
    LOL, no surprise there; glad to supply the push. I might have to as well.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    I've pre-ordered the A7. My requirements are based on a different combination of plans. I intend to use it for use with legacy glass (Contax G, Nikon and some Zeiss/Sony/Minolta items) but also I want a camera that can auto-focus indoors with the FE lenses. If the reviews in November don't indicate good autofocus in low light I'll probably cancel the order.

    Regards,
    John
    Take care to with regards to using legacy glass on the A7. I have heard although both A7 and A7r have gapless micro lens, the A7r has micro lens arranged similar to the Leica m9, which is designed purely for legacy glass to perform better at the extreme corners.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A7 or A7r

    . . . it's difficult - I'm going through the same seesaw - A7r has obvious disadvantages . . but then the A7 is 24mp with an AA filter . . . not that much better than the E-M1, which also has IS and seriously fast AF, together with lots of (not ff) lenses.

    Just this guy you know

  24. #74
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7 or A7r

    No contest get the most bang for your buck in the 36mpx, worry about the little **** later as we all know there will be workarounds to the wide issue. That problem will not last long as someone like Zeiss will make a wide that will work. They probably already have it in production just a matter of making it in the E mount. Now that it is announced its a given.

    I say this with thought as I get older and want to sell images for income. That's on my hit list, get as far away from everyday stock. Go big or go home. Give yourself as much edge as you can. For me this may just replace my Nikons at some point as I try to get back to a tech cam and a load of MPX. I'm getting very large print sizing requests lately.

    This little cam can also be a pano machine given its small size you can go very fast with pano gear to go really large with it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Chris,

    it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

    The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

    Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.
    I think there must be a reason the A7r does not come with electronic first curtain as an option. It could be due to the sensor design itself, and the way sensor data is read.

    Anyway, although the difference between electronic first curtain and mechanical first curtain was huge on the nex5 series, it may not be as bad on the A7r, since it has a much more substantial grip, and is a heavier body. The nex 5 series, although nice and compact, was alot harder to hold steady due to ergonomics and lightness.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: A7 or A7r

    For streetwork, a fast focus and silent shutter is important and if you don't have to make big prints the A7 is probably better if you can find a good working wide angle for it if you need it.

    For me it's more "take your time photogaphy" and be able to print big; it will be the A7r
    Just downloaded some RAW files (SAR) but I can not open them yet in ACR, no support from Adobe yet as far as I can see. I am really curious how they handle.

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    No contest get the most bang for your buck in the 36mpx, worry about the little **** later as we all know there will be workarounds to the wide issue. That problem will not last long as someone like Zeiss will make a wide that will work. They probably already have it in production just a matter of making it in the E mount. Now that it is announced its a given.

    I say this with thought as I get older and want to sell images for income. That's on my hit list, get as far away from everyday stock. Go big or go home. Give yourself as much edge as you can. For me this may just replace my Nikons at some point as I try to get back to a tech cam and a load of MPX. I'm getting very large print sizing requests lately.

    This little cam can also be a pano machine given its small size you can go very fast with pano gear to go really large with it
    I agree.

    The little **** always seems to get worked out, if a lot of the speculation even is an issue (we'll see).

    I'm a fan of resolution for some applications because it gives me options ... where Guy wants bigger prints, I like the ability to crop ... or the ability to work on an image with more visual data to manipulate without having it falling apart if I go heavy for some creative reason.

    Last year I did a family portrait session with my S2 ... this year I did the same family, same place, same lighting conditions with my 24 meg Sony A99 and my post time increased considerably when doing the same sort of enhancements with the same portrait programs I use. 36 meg would've helped a bit I think.

    Most of the time 16, 20 or 24 meg is more than enough, but sometimes, with some applications, more would be helpful. Depends on what you do.

    - Marc

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    For streetwork, a fast focus and silent shutter is important and if you don't have to make big prints the A7 is probably better if you can find a good working wide angle for it if you need it.

    For me it's more "take your time photogaphy" and be able to print big; it will be the A7r
    Just downloaded some RAW files (SAR) but I can not open them yet in ACR, no support from Adobe yet as far as I can see. I am really curious how they handle.
    Michiel, The Sony RAW converter(free) works. Absolutely horrible pictures. That kit zoom appears to be crap.

  29. #79
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Most of the time 16, 20 or 24 meg is more than enough, but sometimes, with some applications, more would be helpful. Depends on what you do.

    - Marc
    I agree with the "Depends on what you do", I might add "Depends on how much you can afford" - I'd have an S2 now if I could justify it.

    I try to fathom how many Mega Pixies is enough?
    I think I've come to a possible conclusion that enough resolution is a ratio of -

    artists intention / print size / viewing distance / viewer acceptance

    its the last one that I can't nail down. While I might be happy with a particular big print a buddy of mine is never happy, but then I don't have to keep him happy.

    In a way its not which A7 or A7r to get that interests me, its more that its Full Frame 35mm and what that offers for DOF effects and lens angle of view.
    While I mostly use wides I do occasionally want that shallow DOF. While APSC and m43 can do it, its what I am used to after years of being a film user.

    I am starting to think the A7 may be the way for me. I gain a few extra features and lower price which I can use on a lens. Samples will help.

  30. #80
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I agree with the "Depends on what you do", I might add "Depends on how much you can afford" - I'd have an S2 now if I could justify it.

    I try to fathom how many Mega Pixies is enough?
    I think I've come to a possible conclusion that enough resolution is a ratio of -

    artists intention / print size / viewing distance / viewer acceptance

    its the last one that I can't nail down. While I might be happy with a particular big print a buddy of mine is never happy, but then I don't have to keep him happy.

    In a way its not which A7 or A7r to get that interests me, its more that its Full Frame 35mm and what that offers for DOF effects and lens angle of view.

    While I mostly use wides I do occasionally want that shallow DOF. While APSC and m43 can do it, its what I am used to after years of being a film user.

    I am starting to think the A7 may be the way for me. I gain a few extra features and lower price which I can use on a lens. Samples will help.
    Your "ratio" notion is interesting and a good way of looking at it all Tim.

    I've been using the 24 meg A900 and A99 for some time now, and in reality they meet most any practical demand. Unfortunately my own expectations became polluted by long term use of Medium Format Digital.

    Since I already have a 24 meg FF solution, my interest goes to the 36 meg a7r version to see what that brings to the party.

    - Marc

  31. #81
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Michiel, The Sony RAW converter(free) works. Absolutely horrible pictures. That kit zoom appears to be crap.
    Thanks! I trew the 430mb of my computer.

  32. #82
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    The A7 is supposed to be faster in cAF and in operation, and will perform better at high ISO, both qualities I do not need, so my vote is for the A7r which sees to be better in every other aspects (let alone the price).

  33. #83
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    The A7 is supposed to be faster in cAF and in operation, and will perform better at high ISO, both qualities I do not need, so my vote is for the A7r which sees to be better in every other aspects (let alone the price).
    It very likely will perform better in ISO tests at the largely irrelevant pixel level but at 50% zoom or at print resolutions it will probably do about as well, for all practical purposes... treat it as a sampling device at low ISO and an oversampling device at higher ISO. Look at the DXO ISO scores of the D610 and the D800E and remember that no AA filter means less sharpening needed, which helps the appearance of higher ISO files...
    Last edited by tashley; 19th October 2013 at 09:54.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    This sounds like the a7 doesn't use the same on-sensor micro-lens design as the a7r

    "Differing from the Sony Alpha a7, the Alpha a7R with its omitted low-pass filter, gapless lens design sensor and contrast-detection AF provides the utmost in high-resolution, finely detailed capture".

    -Marc
    If the problematic color cast showing up in the corners of the Nex-7 with wide angle legacy lenses is due to the angle at which the light rays strike the sensor, then I fear that gape less micro lenses won't help a lot to solve the problem. Gape less micro lenses may just be the consequence of the higher pixels density resulting from the pixels increase.

    I have a bunch of Zeiss Contax G lenses, including the 21mm and 28mm and would really like to use them on a FF body. The A7 and A7r sounds very interesting, but I will wait to hear more about them before making any choice. I don't care for lots of pixels, but rather for DR and clean noiseless sharp pictures at base ISO; this what I'd appreciate in a FF body. Too many pixels are just a hassle to handle and to store on disks.
    Last edited by Annna T; 19th October 2013 at 08:00.

  35. #85
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    If the problematic color cast showing up in the corners of the Nex-7 with wide angle legacy lenses is due to the angle at which the light rays strike the sensor, then gape less or not won't help a lot to solve that problem.
    I have posted a link before (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/543064-post58.html): Sony Global - Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7R

    It is not only the gapless microlenses but also angled ones. In addition, the image area is larger per active site. This is NOT the D800/D800E' sensor but a newer and better one.

    A7r' s image sensor



    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: A7 or A7r

    I'm wondering if a larger megapixel sensor equals better tonality though for a given print size, specifically a print size not above the abilities of either megapixel count. Seems to me that it would. More pixels per area to describe changes in brightness and tones. Thoughts?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Ben, Simple answer is NO.

    For an stark example look at the 41MP phone vs any real camera images with a much lower pixel count.

  38. #88
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Scientifically not sure but it makes perfect sense to me . More mpx per area equals more tighter color tone per area. Your throwing more pixel data in that area is how I look at it. MF backs this makes perfect sense as we have seen backs with smaller microns increase DR which also increases tonal range.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Ben, Simple answer is NO.

    For an stark example look at the 41MP phone vs any real camera images with a much lower pixel count.
    Not sure you can use that as an example. We have to assume in a comparison that each pixel is collecting a certain level of tonal value. I would not assume that for a phone camera with zillions of tiny and ineffectual pixels.

    I remember taking photos using the CameraFusion adaptor I owned for a while with a 5Dc on the back of it. About 80 megapixels worth of final image. Now the old Caltar lens on the camera could not begin to give 80 megapixels worth but the smoothness and tonality of the file was to die for. Far better than anything I've ever seen since including rotational stitching and our Leaf back. When you are giving so many more pixels per inch of subject you just get far better transitions, there are far more pixels to describe those tonal transitions.

    Now I don't think you can compare 25 shots flat stitched from a fat pixeled camera (the CameraFusion) to a single shot with a sensor rather over crammed with pixels (A7R) however we do know the image quality of that sensor, I know it's going to be at least as good as the D800e I use in the studio now. I think that once you have a given level of quality of pixel then the more pixels you can throw at an image, the better the tonality will be for a given print size. A bigger sensor with bigger pixels would be better but hey, I can't exactly afford that right now, neither does it fit my current usage
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  40. #90
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Ben, This has been discussed to death before, has it?

  41. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    I voted A7, since that's going to be the one I'll have the most chance to get in two years' time ... assuming something horrible doesn't raise its ugly head during the first year of early-adopter use.
    (Nikon shutter spray, X100 Sticky blades, and the like)
    Everything depends on how the thing's going to operate with little MF lenses on it, well for me anyway.
    Nothing wrong with a 15 lens on a 1200 body. :|

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: A7 or A7r

    One thing is for certain, the prices of alt lenses, already high, is going to absolutely sky rocket!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    One thing is for certain, the prices of alt lenses, already high, is going to absolutely sky rocket!
    I am not sure about that, Ben.

    It is actually the availability of the Canon EOS adapter (IS and to some extent AF- the lenses are plentiful) that makes the E mount attractive and would sell a lot of A7 and 7r. Of course there are others. The current crop of Nikon lenses are of limited use.

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Well the NEX cameras and the 4/3 cameras have driven the prices of some even obscure lenses out of believability. Canon LTM 35mm 1.5 lens. Almost impossible to buy without haze, scratches or both. not a sharp or contrast lens with horrific coma wide open (I like it ). In 2005 selling for about $150 if you were lucky. Now sold under the ludicrous name of 'Japanese Summilux' (that name should be banned! Pretentious and not close to accurate) for close to or over $1K. That's just one example. There are some FD, Minolta, Pentax, etc lenses selling now for crazy prices, you couldn't give them away prior to the mirrorless invasion.

    Point is, with that mount, you can mount pretty much every lens ever made for a 35mm camera. That's a big deal. The Canon adaptor with its glacial AF for only the most modern canon lenses is not going to make the biggest difference. You can use any lens, either designed for SLR or a rangefinder, as long as it has an aperture ring with the ability to get focus peaking and zoom in to focus right there in the viewfinder.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Understood, Ben.

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Hmmmmmm

    Reality check? - will the A7r be the same?

    A7 Torture Test with M mount Lenses

    Just this guy you know

  47. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmmmmm

    Reality check? - will the A7r be the same?

    A7 Torture Test with M mount Lenses
    The A7R has an off-set micro-lenses array which should, in theory, offer some improvement.

    Either way, based on these tests by Ron, I find the results quite promising. I am not overly concerned with the vignetting since it is easily address in post and, possibly, in camera. What I find very promising is that the images look sharp across the frame, which was my biggest grip with Leica wides on the NEX7.

  48. #98
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    The A7R has an off-set micro-lenses array which should, in theory, offer some improvement.

    Either way, based on these tests by Ron, I find the results quite promising. I am not overly concerned with the vignetting since it is easily address in post and, possibly, in camera. What I find very promising is that the images look sharp across the frame, which was my biggest grip with Leica wides on the NEX7.
    I have checked the images tacken with the Summicron 28 and they are not sharp across the frame, not at all for what I can see.
    May be the A7R will be a better performer in this regard, hopefully..

  49. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I have checked the images tacken with the Summicron 28 and they are not sharp across the frame, not at all for what I can see.
    May be the A7R will be a better performer in this regard, hopefully..
    The 28 Summicron has significant field curvature and (even on the M9) needs to be stopped down to at least f5.6 before it is sharp across the frame.

  50. #100
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7 or A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    The 28 Summicron has significant field curvature and (even on the M9) needs to be stopped down to at least f5.6 before it is sharp across the frame.
    Looking at the infinity shots I cannot find anything sharp in the corners/borders at any distance, I do not think it is a matter of field curvature.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •