The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

Michiel Schierbeek

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
I´m really curious about the performance of the (my) Leica 24mm f 3.8 Elmar-M Asph.
This tiny lens should be "über" sharp like it was on the Nex 5 / 5n ...
Hopefully the Cameras will ship in November ;-)

kuau

Workshop Member
I think I am going for the A7 and not the R. I can live with the AA filter, it's not the end of them world. I ordered the body and the FE 35, I will also use my Zeiss 50/2 ZM and 85/4 ZM nice small 3 lens kit. I don't shot WA very much.
36MP yeah pretty cool but also very demanding on everything, the reason why I sold My D800/e it took just as long to shoot that system as it does with my MF Tech View Camera. So I stuck with that.

k-hawinkler

Why do I prefer 36 MP over 24 MP for the A7/R?

Case in point. Today cranes were migrating in larger numbers right above our house in the afternoon.
They have to fly only a few more hours to reach the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, NM, USA.
Here is an image taken with Nikon D800E + AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED @ 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 560, 1/2000 s handheld.

First a slightly cropped image showing most of one of the smaller flock of cranes.

Then a 100% crop from the central part of the above image, giving a pretty detailed view of the cranes individually.

What the A7R offers is to get these kinds of shots with unmodified R lenses, with the help of a simple adapter.
That's what I like. :)

waterden

I have a bunch of Zeiss Contax G lenses, including the 21mm and 28mm and would really like to use them on a FF body. The A7 and A7r sounds very interesting, but I will wait to hear more about them before making any choice. I don't care for lots of pixels, but rather for DR and clean noiseless sharp pictures at base ISO; this what I'd appreciate in a FF body. Too many pixels are just a hassle to handle and to store on disks.
Spot on. For my printing purposes (A3+ at most) 24mp is enough. But 36mp does give more latitude to crop. My principle reason for wanting one of these is so that I can use legacy lenses although I shall certainly watch to see how the 24-70/4 behaves. The SLR Minolta MD and Olympus OM are small enough (unlike modern DSLR lenses and even Leica R) as, of course, are the Leica M-mount lenses. Now I am pretty clear that the former will work fine on either, even at the wider end - my Minolta MD 24/2.8 works well on my NEX7, for instance. But what about the LM lenses? There have been plenty of opinions, some conflicting. Steve Huff suggests they will be better on the A7; others say the A7R. If pixel density is the defining factor, which it probably is not, then the A7 will be better, rather like the NEX5N/6 is much more forgiving than the NEX7. But is it? Until we get some proper testing I think we are just going to have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

Interesting results! I didn't expect them to be favoring the A7R this heavily.

I own a D800E, and I'm looking for a camera that can deliver identical image quality in a smaller package. So the A7R is the obvious choice for me. For now, I will use my existing MF glass (VM, ZM, ZF, C/Y and Leica-R) with it, but I am eagerly looking forward to Zeiss' manual-focus FE lens line-up next year. I'm also curious how well the FE 4/24-70 ZA will perform. If it does well, it may be a very handy all-round lens, and likely one of the very few AF lenses I would buy for the system.

I should add that I am also considering using the A7R for underwater photography. The combination of high image quality and compact size is of great advantage in this space, as well. Anyone who's dealt with DSLR underwater housings will know what I mean...

Quentin_Bargate

Just ordered an A7R. Have an unused 24-70mm F/2.8 Zeiss gathering dust from when I owned an A900 and the first version of the official Sony A to E mount adapter I should be able to use with the A7R and 24-70mm

kuau

Workshop Member
Just ordered an A7R. Have an unused 24-70mm F/2.8 Zeiss gathering dust from when I owned an A900 and the first version of the official Sony A to E mount adapter I should be able to use with the A7R and 24-70mm
Quentin,
Yikes, Zeiss 24-70/2.8 A mount using the Sony A to E mount sounds cool, but for me it kills the whole purpose of the A7/A7R, this combination is going to be really big and heavy and not well balanced, and not to mention using an adaptor on a 36mp FF camera. I think you will loose IQ because of the adaptor.

Personally I would sell your 24-70 A mount and order the yet to be shipping E mount 24-70/4, yeah its 1 stop slower but size wise and probably better IQ.

I don't know just my 2 cents.

Mark K

Having had A7 for a week....mainly using adapters for my Nikkor lenses.. I bought A7 because of
1 abundant stock
2. less expensive price
3. kit lens availability
4. faster AF
5. faster fps

after all...I believe I really miss 36MP images from D800 and probably from A7r

fotografz

Quentin,
Yikes, Zeiss 24-70/2.8 A mount using the Sony A to E mount sounds cool, but for me it kills the whole purpose of the A7/A7R, this combination is going to be really big and heavy and not well balanced, and not to mention using an adaptor on a 36mp FF camera. I think you will loose IQ because of the adaptor.

Personally I would sell your 24-70 A mount and order the yet to be shipping E mount 24-70/4, yeah its 1 stop slower but size wise and probably better IQ.

I don't know just my 2 cents.
Assuming it is well made, why would a glassless adapter lose IQ?

Yes, the ZA Zooms are big and heavy. I tried my ZA 16-35 on the A7R and it handled fine ... all you are doing is cradling the lens in your left hand and camera doesn't even matter.

It also greatly depends on whether you have other Sony 35mm DSLR cameras. Personally, I functionally still like my A99 better than this A7R camera ... since I shoot mostly hand-held, I seriously wonder if the inclusion of in-camera steady shot will be a real-world equalizer when comparing its' 24 meg to the A7R's 36 meg?

Which means all my fast aperture ZA lenses aren't going anywhere soon. I sure the heck am not giving up the huge but deliciously wonderful ZA135/1.8. Nor do I view this A7R as a replacement for the A99. I WILL not shoot key paying work with a single card camera anymore ... the A99 is dual card, and the A7R is not.

While "personal comfort" is a worthy attribute of demure size, it isn't everything when it comes to making images.

- Marc

fotografz

I'm not so sure I agree with that ... at least not completely.

36 meg may put more demand on technique, but it isn't that huge of a difference. I use a 40 meg MFD camera handheld all the time.

The high ISO allows the choice of a higher shutter speed, and if you down sample a 36 meg file to equal the 24 meg, I doubt you'd see much difference.

I have no intention of confining the A7R to a tripod ... and any situation where one would be needed, it'd probably be needed for the A7 also.

36 meg seems huge right now ... bet in 2 years or so, it'll be medium res ... just like 24 meg is now. When the 24 meg cameras came out, everyone said the same thing compared to a 16 meg camera. ;)

- Marc

V

Vivek

I think Steve Huff sums it up well (paraphrasing): if you do street photography or anything moderately fast-paced, get the A7. If you do very carefully composed work and/or often work from a tripod, get the A7R. I think he's just about spot on.

For the full review, see here: The Sony A7 and A7r Camera Review by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
I do street snaps, handheld and I find the the A7R a bit too easy to handle. BTW, coffee is my favorite beverage (possibly the only beverage I drink all day). ;)

I agree with what Marc said. It is a bunch of bull about a demanding A7R. If anyone snapped with a NEX-6 handheld then the A7R is even much easier because of the better ergonomics.

Also, one guy posted an analysis of Stve Huff's review (sonyalpharumors). You should check it out. Hilarious. :)