The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7(r) built in lens corrections

vonalpen

Hi everyone
Just found an interesting announcement on sony.net about lens compensation:
Apparently there will be a very promising App for the expected problems which third party (manual) wide angle lenses will inevitably cause:
lens cast / color cast will probably be correctable in camera for each programmed lens individually!
As you can also type in lens name, focal length and f-stop, I expect this to appear in the exif data - would be great! (Leica: Please take note...)
At this point it is not clear if those corrections (Sony calls it “peripheral shading”) only apply to jpg or raw as well.
And obviously it's not just vignetting but especially individual color corrections: One should be able to correct for the green / magenta color cast towards the corners.
In addition chromatic aberrations and distortion will be correctable separately as well!
More questions arise about the amount of corrections so I expect to spend quite some time fine tuning each profile to achieve good results.

Not that I found the handling of the Sony apps (on my NEX6) very compelling so far, but as long as I will be able to build my own profiles and correct those imperfections (in the new A7 and A7r) I would be very happy.

Sony Global - Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7R

Scroll down to the "Play Memories Camera Apps" and find a short video (go to 10"), screen shot attached.

While we wait for delivery: Go out and shoot with what you’ve got and ask yourself if you really need (more) new gear...

As for me, I do ;)

Have fun!

V

Vivek

Thanks for the post. Looks nice.

We will have to see if this is for free or will cost some cash.

V

Vivek

If it work on RAW, then this is truly awesome. The cost of the App is 9.99€
Even if it is 0.01€, the problem is the payment to purchase one. I would not want to deposit CC info with Sony. It is very well proven that they get hacked big time. No confidence at all and hence this playmemory (paid) apps is a fiasco, for me.

k-hawinkler

Even if it is 0.01€, the problem is the payment to purchase one. I would not want to deposit CC info with Sony. It is very well proven that they get hacked big time. No confidence at all and hence this playmemory (paid) apps is a fiasco, for me.

How about paying with PayPal?

V

Vivek

How about paying with PayPal?
Last time I checked that was not an option. :(

If I need a gift card, I need to deposit CC details with Sony. This ain't Apple.

These payment options (or even purchasing possibilities) vary from country country and region to region, even though it is just an online download.

My NEX-6 has all the free apps that are available.

Slingers

This app has been available for a few months and I believe it's for jpeg. However the biggest benefit is that it allows you add your f/stop to manual lens.

iiiNelson

I don't think $10 is unreasonable for those who want extra functionality with adapted lenses. Someone had to work on the software and they deserve some compensation. I realize it's a personal choice though if it's worth it to the user.

V

Vivek

I just paid with PayPal for the A7R to Sony online USA.
K-H, The same with me. However, the playmemories apps is offered from a different site requiring an account for that. I do no want to support them at all for many reasons.