The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not impressed by the A7/A7r

Michiel Schierbeek

But photography is about taking pictures, and the DP cameras weren't about taking pictures, they were just about a certain type of Image Quality.

We seem to be heading towards some kind of perfect image, without any interest in how one can get a good photo with it.

I know it's great to have 36mp . . . I know that it's great to be able to crop . . I know it's great to have lots of dynamic range . . . I know, I know . . BUT I also know that some of the best shots I've seen on the internet where taken with a crappy 2mp Kodak point and shoot. . . . .
Hi Jono you could have saved and save yourself a lot of dough.....:ROTFL:

Hey - If I shoot a wedding I want a safety net . . . If I shoot a landscape I want detail in the corners . . . I love lenses which give a recognisable look . . . I'm a victim too.

But in the final analysis - if I take a decent snap, it's because the camera is not in my way - I'm sure the Sony will do that with good Sony Zeiss lenses - but I'm not very convinced it'll do it with M lenses. More to the point, I don't think it's what it was designed for, if you want to shoot with M lenses . . . . might I suggest a Leica M . . . if you want to shoot with a Sony A7r (and I think I do) may I suggest Sony Zeiss lenses?
Your suggestions are noted! Although I am buying the 35 zeiss as well, I hope you don't mind me putting some other brand lenses on it as well :)

Shashin

Buying a camera because it is smaller and lighter does not make any sense if you just put it in the bag with the rest of your stuff--your bag is just getting heavier.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think this is coming from a narrow band of application thinking, and doesn't really take into account the functional differences between this A7 and Sony's full frame A99 for certain uses.

In no way do I see this camera replacing my A99 DSLR. What would replace/supplement the A99 would be a 36 meg (or more) version of the same camera. In my work, I rely on the A99's dual card capture, and image stabilization with ALL the A mount lenses of ALL focal lengths. The A7/A7R has neither.

Sony continues to provide new lenses in the A mount, I just added the Zeiss ZA50/1.4 Planar with super swift SSM AF.

My 2¢

- Marc
I might have been a bit harsh in my original statement, but I think I see a trend from Sony, going from SLR to SLT and NEX and then merging it all into FF NEX. Will they maintain 3 ranges of lenses, although 2 share the same (NEX) mount? With the launch of the A7/r, how many will invest in a full frame SLT camera with lenses, starting from scratch? And if few photographers do that, how long can Sony afford to keep manufacturing and marketing those lenses?

I think Sony have done an admirable job to get all this stuff up and going, but sometimes they remind me a bit of myself: Trying to do too many things at the same time :ROTFL:

peterv

But photography is about taking pictures, and the DP cameras weren't about taking pictures, they were just about a certain type of Image Quality.

We seem to be heading towards some kind of perfect image, without any interest in how one can get a good photo with it.

I know it's great to have 36mp . . . I know that it's great to be able to crop . . I know it's great to have lots of dynamic range . . . I know, I know . . BUT I also know that some of the best shots I've seen on the internet where taken with a crappy 2mp Kodak point and shoot. . . . .
I understand what you're saying, Jono, in the end it's all about one thing; content. Though it sure wouldn't hurt if these shots would have been taken on a 36 mp sensor camera with good ergonomics ...

You know, lately I have been reading a lot about the upcoming new television standard, 4K. I've looked at 4K (UHDTV) sets and the quality is quite amazing. I only watch tv for around 4, 5 hours a week, mostly football (soccer) live events (our king and queen doing ceremonies, that kind of stuff) and rented movies, but the idea of having the best possible image quality available makes me want to go out and buy one of these tv sets. I guess it's the same for the new Sony's.

But in the final analysis - if I take a decent snap, it's because the camera is not in my way - I'm sure the Sony will do that with good Sony Zeiss lenses - but I'm not very convinced it'll do it with M lenses. More to the point, I don't think it's what it was designed for, if you want to shoot with M lenses . . . . might I suggest a Leica M . . . if you want to shoot with a Sony A7r (and I think I do) may I suggest Sony Zeiss lenses?
I fully agree, the Sony's take a lot of undeserved heat for not working flawlessly with non native lenses. Sony does not claim these cameras are made for WA rangerfinder lenses. Like Marc, I believe the camera will operate well and give really nice IQ with Sony FE and ZA lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Okay, so now some more files are starting to come out for both cameras (see link below). By tomorrow a lot more info should be available

Regards,
John

Sony A7 and A7R sample photos posted: Groundbreaking full-frame, mirrorless cameras deliver stunning images
I almost self-moistened when I saw these, thinking from a casual flick through some EXIF data that I was looking at the A7R with the A7's kit lens: those that had detail right to the edge were stunning, right to the edge. Then I realised that those shots were with other lenses. Nonetheless, pretty damned good.

Michiel Schierbeek

Very promising in deed. That 55 Zeiss is on some of those pictures, I think. The exif doesn't say Zeiss but it is 1.8 A must have stunning lens, I think. Who cares it is not fast enough!

For my bank account I am glad they did not bring out more Zeiss lenses already. :cool:

Very promising in deed. That 55 Zeiss is on some of those pictures, I think. The exif doesn't say Zeiss but it is 1.8 A must have stunning lens, I think. Who cares it is not fast enough!

For my bank account I am glad they did not bring out more Zeiss lenses already. :cool:
FE 55/1.8 ZA is what I see in the exif (through Iridient Developer)

If I was into T/S I would just use a Canon or Nikon DSLR and one of the excellent Canon/Nikon T/S lenses available.
Except Canon doesn't have a 36mp 14-stop sensor in any of their cameras, while Nikon's TS lenses could be better, here you get the best of both worlds.

I just found out that FOR ME in most cases the advantages of using lenses and camera from same brand/system has many handling advantages...and there are quite some systems brands which offer good lenses.
Thats why I use my M-lenses on a M body, and on m4/3 I use m4/3 lenses, and on Canon I use Canon lenses.
I tried Leica R on Canon and Nikon, Leica M on Nex and m4/3, Hassy/Zeiss on the S. But loosing the AF, disadvantages in metering and in handling allways brought me back to using the original lenses of the systems.
Not gonna argue with personal preferences.

Okay, so now some more files are starting to come out for both cameras (see link below). By tomorrow a lot more info should be available

Regards,
John

Sony A7 and A7R sample photos posted: Groundbreaking full-frame, mirrorless cameras deliver stunning images
Capture One isn't opening these Raw files for some reason, even though another set worked just fine.

Last edited:

Paratom

Except Canon doesn't have a 36mp 14-stop sensor in any of their cameras, while Nikon's TS lenses could be better, here you get the best of both worlds.

Not gonna argue with personal preferences.
Sure, if 36MP is needed then Canon doesn't offer it. And if the Canon sensors are not good enough for you and the Nikon T/S lens not good enough - maybe the new Sony with a Canon T/S lens is your solution.
And if you use T/S you will probably use a tripod anyways, and in this case it also doesn't matter how such a lens balances on such a small camera-on a tripod it should be fine.

V

Vivek

Cool :)

Who will make a compact monorail tailor-made for the A7r? Something similar to the Sinar p-slr, but simpler, cheaper and lighter...
There is another (more accessible) possibility:

Spiratone Bellows Master

These were not cheap when new and can be found occasionally in the used market (less expensive than Novoflex bellows though).

I bought one several years ago and would like to set it up for use with the A7R.

V

Vivek

Some day, there will be comparison shots available with this and some super expensive Summicron. If the Zeiss does better, I will buy it. :D

jfirneno

All shot around f/5.6, from f/4 to f/6.3.
It looks that these were shot in exposure priority (all around 1/80 and 1/100 secs exposure times). I think these were hand-held shots to test out the camera during a Sony photo opportunity in Nashville TN. According to the guy who took them he'll be adding other photos over the course of the next day or two of varying types (different ISO levels etc.).