Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Not impressed by the A7/A7r

Post Thanks / Like

Not impressed by the A7/A7r

I had HIGH hopes for these cameras. They really represented everything I wanted in a camera on paper. But after playing with them for 30 mins at PhotoPlus, I'm no longer convinced.

Not going to dwell into the well known specs. Here are the factors that DIDN"T work for me:

1- Cheap and light build. Defintely cheaper than the RX1. Not in the same league as Leica Ms. A7R is slightly better with metal dials, but both felt hollow

2- Annoying UI, same Sony UI here. If it works for you then great, it doesn't work for me

3-Lenses felt HUGE. the zoom was so large that it may well belong to a DSLR. the 55mm 1.8 Zeiss was smaller, but still bigger than the RX1 lens. Feels more bulky than the Pentax K5

4- Phase detect AF on the A7 doesnt' work well. I tried to track people walking toward me and it hunts back and forth every time I try. This is very bright indoor lighting

5- The sony guys admitted that they didn't release a 35mm F2 because no one whould buy the RX1s.. While I appreciated their honesty, it sucks! The lack of lenses (and expense) will be the archilies heel for the Alphas. Sony won't have a decent line up for another 2 years and by then the cameras will be obsolete. This is the single reason that I decided to keep my M4/3s

Now I was impressed by the manual focus assist on the A7s. It tracks subjects in real time and puts the focus pane in RED. This is how Leica M240s are supposed to work. But I tried a M240 right after I tried the Sony and the Leica felt sluggish and unuseable. It took me less than a second to manual focus spot on with the A7. I was promised that this feature would work on leica legacy glasses so focusing shouldn't be an issue.

The EVF was good and fluid, but nothing to be crazy about.

The conclusion for ME is to wait. I'll wait until at least two fast primes come out for the A7 before I take the plunge. By then the camera should have depreciated quite a bit. In the mean time perhaps snap up a Rx1 as they become cheaper?

Buying it to use with my Leica M glasses doesn't make sense. It will take longer to focus despite the focus assist feature, and many leica lenses are reported not to be working well with A7 sensors. Stick with your M9s if you want to use Leica lens. I suspect the A7r will outresolve older M lenses as well

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not impressed by the A7/A7r

As someone who's used mostly Canon cameras for the past years, my interest in the A7r is somewhat more banal than that of the high-brow community, to me it's a box with a D800-like sensor that you can adapt any lens to.

I'm willing to suffer any minor deficiencies such as slow AF (which I won't use), light and cheap build (Canon user, anything's better), and the UI I'll figure out eventually...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Slow AF- Rafa posted that his NEX-7 AFs faster than his 6D!

Cheap build- if it lasts the 3 years that I get from Sony for free, I have no complaints.

UI, could not give a toss about that. Once the settings are done, I hardly look at them any more.

Post Thanks / Like

You can bet that in a year Sony is going to be out with newer and better camera bodies anyway.

A while ago, SAR reported the following for 2014:
    - New APS-C E-mount cameras (branded as Alpha). This includes the NEX-7 successor and new entry level APS-C E-mount cameras
    - New A-mount FF camera
    - New E-mount FF cameras (yes guys….I intentionally used the plural!)
    - With 80% reliability also a hybrid A-E mount high end camera to come.
    - UPDATE: I am still not sure if there will be an APS-C A-mount camera. I know there are prototypes of such cameras. Don’t know if and when they will release them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your impressions!

I'm looking at an A7R to use with my Leica M mount 35mm and 50mm lenses, so AF doesn't matter to me. Like Vivek, I don't care about UI either. And lightness is a plus in my book.

Still not completely sold on manual focus with an EVF but hoping the A7R will win me over. Could end up replacing my M9.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    You can bet that in a year Sony is going to be out with newer and better camera bodies anyway.

A while ago, SAR reported the following for 2014:
    Yes and next year we will be all running after those like cokejunkys
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Yes and next year we will be all running after those like cokejunkys
    I might make a pit stop in Nikon land before that as well!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to get it in my hands before I decide, same with Nikons new entry. I gave up on sight unseen buying anymore. I also have great Nikon glass that I'm not so tempted to switch out either. The Sony to me was like the Leica S was when released not a system yet and that bugs me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, The A7/7R is no comparison to the Leica S at all. Be fair.

The major difference here is the price. One can buy an A7 kit for the price of a Leica S to Contax adapter. Besides that, a NEX to EOS adapter exists already, along with the NEX to A mount adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I meant as a developing system in place upon released leica S had a couple lenses on release . Hardly enough to get by with at release time. The Sony with the new mount seems the same. Now the Sony does have more options outside Sony glass I will admit. But it's still kind of limited on release. The Leica S was only Leica glass at the time much worse. This just reminds me of that with the Sony

I admit I am very much a system buyer as well. Not big on piecing things together unless I'm forced too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmbma, you haven't mentioned anything about image quality at all, surely that is the most important thing?! As others have said, UI is largely irrelevant after you've read the manual and set it up how you want it, if it's like the RX1 everything after the initial setup is handled easily. Are you looking now at the final version that will be for sale or are these still pre-release bodies, in which case performance may still be a way off what will be in the final version.

I think it's brilliant that people are deciding which camera that hasn't been released yet they are going to buy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah crap I'm going to think logically for a second. Where all in trouble now. Lol

Okay let's say you have a nice Nikon d800e system in place and you can change camera names here. So you have 2300 dollars in your hand but your system today that you use could also be expanded by a new lens or two and grow your current system to be much more powerful range of lens selection. Now you look at the Sony you can get a smaller form factor with the same Mpx sizing. But the system has a limited amount of glass in its own Sony mount. One wonders is it worth adding a limited system or expand your current one. Now you still have the cash in your hand so what do you do. Now I could surely try the adapter route and bolt my Nikon glass on and try to build theSony system in time with Sony mounts or is it a better idea to sit and wait use the cash expand your Nikon setup and when the Sony gets more dense in glass maybe buy in than down the road. That's is the questions I face and I'm sure a number of people thinking the same. Now others are avoiding the cost of a Leica 240 and get mpx for a fraction of the price. To me the later is a far better option to buy into the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Re: Not impressed by the A7/A7r

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Mmbma, you haven't mentioned anything about image quality at all, surely that is the most important thing?! As others have said, UI is largely irrelevant after you've read the manual and set it up how you want it, if it's like the RX1 everything after the initial setup is handled easily. Are you looking now at the final version that will be for sale or are these still pre-release bodies, in which case performance may still be a way off what will be in the final version.

I think it's brilliant that people are deciding which camera that hasn't been released yet they are going to buy!
    I think this is a very unique system to think about . Outside the Nikon D800 at 36mpx there is nothing to match it and Leica users they could buy two bodies with left over money than buying a Leica 240. Which really has there heads thinking about the Sonyy. That part I totally get

Not unless someone is hell bent owning a Leica body which many folks are. I look at the end result more and not worry how I got there but more about the file. People like nice brands and Leica cams are very appealing to own, we all know that no big secret on that one. But this adds a unique solution to use the M line of glass. That part can't be ignored either.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you and DPReview held the same camera? Here is a quote from the show from them on handling the body. They never go out of their way to pay a compliment to Sony, so i have to suspect other reasons for your statement.

"The design almost appears to be a mix of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Sony RX1, and it feels extremely solid. Both bodies are made of a magnesium alloy that almost feels like it's been honed from a solid block of metal. The bodies (and lenses) are sealed against dust and moisture."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Ah crap I'm going to think logically for a second. Where all in trouble now. Lol

Okay let's say you have a nice Nikon d800e system in place and you can change camera names here. So you have 2300 dollars in your hand but your system today that you use could also be expanded by a new lens or two and grow your current system to be much more powerful range of lens selection. Now you look at the Sony you can get a smaller form factor with the same Mpx sizing. But the system has a limited amount of glass in its own Sony mount. One wonders is it worth adding a limited system or expand your current one. Now you still have the cash in your hand so what do you do. Now I could surely try the adapter route and bolt my Nikon glass on and try to build theSony system in time with Sony mounts or is it a better idea to sit and wait use the cash expand your Nikon setup and when the Sony gets more dense in glass maybe buy in than down the road. That's is the questions I face and I'm sure a number of people thinking the same. Now others are avoiding the cost of a Leica 240 and get mpx for a fraction of the price. To me the later is a far better option to buy into the Sony.

I guess there are 2 reasons for buying anything, 1st, you really feel that that new lens/body/whatever will allow you to do a specific thing you want to do that you can't currently do.

2nd is you just want it.

Both are completely valid so what is it you feel you are lacking? I feel brilliant about my photography at the moment, I'm no pro, never going to be but I love it! What I have now allows me to do what i want, I compose an image in the viewfinder so whatever lens is on the front at the time does the job for me, I've never composed an image with the thought of a lens i don't own, like I said, definitely not a pro!

If I want a new Sony then I'll have it, doesn't need any more justification than that for me personally. I have an RX1 and a D800, love them both, if the A7r doesn't give me something extra over the D800 then I won't change, I think the D800 is not so big that it feels cumbersome and not too small that bigger lenses are unbalanced, for me it's the right size. I wouldn't want to put the 135 f2 or anything larger on a body the size of the RX1, it would feel completely out of balance I'm sure.

That all said, if the files are knock your socks off brilliant then it'll be worth the change.

In your position I'm guessing adding glass to the setup you have would make more commercial sense, I can't see the A7r suddenly giving you vastly superior images to the D800 where a new lens may give you another string to your bow. If you're loaded then a Leica S would be where my money would go!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of rumblings in the Nikon world on the new DF! You might want to wait for that

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I want a new Sony then I'll have it, doesn't need any more justification than that for me personally. I have an RX1 and a D800, love them both, if the A7r doesn't give me something extra over the D800 then I won't change, I think the D800 is not so big that it feels cumbersome and not too small that bigger lenses are unbalanced, for me it's the right size. I wouldn't want to put the 135 f2 or anything larger on a body the size of the RX1, it would feel completely out of balance I'm sure.

That all said, if the files are knock your socks off brilliant then it'll be worth the change.
    The A7r is a little bit bigger as the RX1, I think. BTW If you like the camera and you want to use big(ger) lenses you might consider the grip.
    Looks really well designed and could make the whole thing more stable with bigger lenses.
    I think I am going to buy one myself. (first grip in my life )
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Guy

Thanks for your open analysis. Every serious photographer must be doing the same analysis about his/her system and trying to decide if the a7r Sony can be worked into their current system.

Right now not many are considering it a system as you so rightly point out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    .....Right now not many are considering it a system....
    Though many of us are thinking of it as as 'System' bridge; hoping it works well with cherry picked lenses from other 'Systems'.

And if it does work well as a bridge ----- it's a clever Sony strategy?

........... Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Though many of us are thinking of it as as 'System' bridge; hoping it works well with cherry picked lenses from other 'Systems'.

........... Chris
    Well said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly I was just going to post somewhat the same thing.

What we have here is a role reversal. Usually we buy a camera than figure out what lenses to buy for it. In this case the Sony is like a 36mpx MF back where we can adopt it to different systems. MF back owners are used to that role reversal. Now Sony comes out with a sensor that every Nikon, canon, Leica M and R lens owners are looking at plus others Like Sony A owners that now can adapt a 36mpx sensor to their existing glass collection.

I believe many are not looking at the E glass so much and going the standard route but adapting the sensor to what they have in their bags today.

Very interesting and welcome change and it really is the chance to use outside of Nikon folks to get to 36mpx sensors in 35mm photography. In theory this is cool as ****, now we have to think how practical it is to our needs.

BTW I totally get just go buying it because one wants it regardless of need. I talk from a Pro seat so I think a little differently as it has to make me money to justify it. Hobbyist have much better freedom to buy something for no other reason than just because I want it. Which I envy that freedom

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post

........... Chris
    It's a clever strategy for those who want to use alternative lenses, but I doubt it will fulfill Sony's own strategy: Maximum profitability from system sales.

I wonder if they have sold enough cameras and lenses to make their now semi-defunct full frame DSLR system profitable, considering all investments involved.

Post Thanks / Like

The A7 is not costing much more than a Leica M240 EVF and handgrip, superior sensor and EFV included. So some compromises on build can`t shy me away. Concerning UI, except for the Olympus one, I have not come across any which one does not get used to. And once the camera is set up the UI is out of the way anyway. I pre-ordered the A7r and the 35mm. For the rest, M-lenses and the Novoflex adapter are waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain this in more detail please?;
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Now I was impressed by the manual focus assist on the A7s. It tracks subjects in real time and puts the focus pane in RED.
    I really don't understand what you mean.
    "it tracks"?
    "focus pane" in MF?
    Are you talking about a red-edge focus peaking on the plane of focus?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mmba,

Did you try the gyro unit with one of these A7s?

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/video-ca...ra-others.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay let's say you have a nice Nikon d800e system in place and you can change camera names here. So you have 2300 dollars in your hand but your system today that you use could also be expanded by a new lens or two and grow your current system to be much more powerful range of lens selection. Now you look at the Sony you can get a smaller form factor with the same Mpx sizing. But the system has a limited amount of glass in its own Sony mount. One wonders is it worth adding a limited system or expand your current one. Now you still have the cash in your hand so what do you do. Now I could surely try the adapter route and bolt my Nikon glass on and try to build theSony system in time with Sony mounts or is it a better idea to sit and wait use the cash expand your Nikon setup and when the Sony gets more dense in glass maybe buy in than down the road. That's is the questions I face and I'm sure a number of people thinking the same..
    I don't think Sony build systems . . . . . . the nex best thing will be the next best thing.

If you buy the A7r (seriously considering here) you need to buy it for now, not for some idea of the future!

Now others are avoiding the cost of a Leica 240 and get mpx for a fraction of the price. To me the later is a far better option to buy into the Sony.
    But I'd really question whether anything wider than 35mm will work well. Let's face it, even with their new special sensor, Leica have to do firmware adjustments for each lens - Sony simply aren't going to to that. . . . . They don't even MENTION M lenses in their FAQ!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    If you buy the A7r (seriously considering here) you need to buy it for now, not for some idea of the future!
    I would hope that applies to every other camera out there!

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

But I'd really question whether anything wider than 35mm will work well. Let's face it, even with their new special sensor, Leica have to do firmware adjustments for each lens - Sony simply aren't going to to that. . . . . They don't even MENTION M lenses in their FAQ!
    Jono, It looks like the differences between the 7 and the 7R are very much like that between the NEX5N (or the 6) and the NEX7. In other words, the 7 appears better suited than the 7R. So much for angled lenses and such.

In my case, I have a 30 day money back option. So, I can always get the 7 after returning the 7R (if it is unsatisfactory).

(I like the NEX6 and do not like the NEX7)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some quick and dirty UWA rangefinder tests on the a7R. (Voigtlanders 12, 15 and 21 mm).

Purple corners yes, but very little smearing by the looks of it. So cornerfix will make these lenses very usable I think.

Also the other observation is that the APS-C crop is vignette/color shift corner free, so from that perspective quite a big improvement over the NEX7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Here's some quick and dirty UWA rangefinder tests on the a7R. (Voigtlanders 12, 15 and 21 mm).

Purple corners yes, but very little smearing by the looks of it. So cornerfix will make these lenses very usable I think.

Also the other observation is that the APS-C crop is vignette/color shift corner free, so from that perspective quite a big improvement over the NEX7.
    Hang on - This is ghastly - I'm sure it's fixable (well, I think it's fixable), but if the fringing is that bad on the 21, then you're going to have to use corner fix on everything wider than the 35 (and probably on that too).

Seriously - that's no way to do photography. I'm really interested by the camera - but if I get one, it'll be for use with Sony and Zeiss lenses.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If they shot a LCC the fix looks to be a non issue. We see this with big movements in MF tech cams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In other words, the 7 appears better suited than the 7R. So much for angled lenses and such.
    Vivek, why do you expect the A7 will perform better tan A7R on wides? Based on the few examples I have seen, the former is the champion of corner smearing, the latter excels in color shift.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ario, Like the way you word it.

I am not sure I saw any A7 examples with corner smearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ario, Like the way you word it.

I am not sure I saw any A7 examples with corner smearing.
    Vivek, here for instance, in particular in the foliage set it is clearly visible.

Sony a7 torture test with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Is this progress if we have a camera where we can put on a third party lens with adapter and then focus manually with focus peaking, then we can get rid of color cast problems with software and hope the edges are not smeared.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Vivek, here for instance, in particular in the foliage set it is clearly visible.

Sony a7 torture test with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler
    I will have to go through that again, Ario. Thanks.

(I though the kit zoom also showed OOF regions, wide open?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Is this progress if we have a camera where we can put on a third party lens with adapter and then focus manually with focus peaking, then we can get rid of color cast problems with software and hope the edges are not smeared.
    An emphatic, yes!

There are lot more lenses in this wide world than just Leica (M or R) lenses. Not all will behave like the M lenses and are lot cheaper too.

Even Leica have made an adapter to use Contax 645 lenses on the S. I am sure those (or the smaller format equivalent) would work well on the 7/7R.

Look out for Michiel's post once he gets hold of an A7R.

Post Thanks / Like

First, a confession -- I have never used a Leica other than my wonderful M2. However, having said that, I've read that all the lenses that Ario kindly tested, particularly the 15mm and 21mm, have caused frustration to more than a few M9 users, even after applying various Leica proprietary codings. So the fact that they do not work wonderfully with the A7R is not exactly a stake through its heart. For example, I imagine that the 21mm SEM (which I've used happily on my M2) is better on the A7R than the pancake-like CV21mm lens that Ario tested, and I'm curious to learn how the 24mm f/3.8 performs. Nettar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like to see how the Zeiss 15mm behave with its centre filter on.

The CV 15/4.5 was a disaster on my Leica MM. The CV12/5.6 works fine. No color fringing to report either.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right. I don't know about IQ because....they don't allow us to put in memory cards. I suspect with Zeiss glasses it'll be on par (probably a bit less since the RX1 has a mated lens) with the RX1 but I just can't tell right now.

Post Thanks / Like

mmba,

Did you try the gyro unit with one of these A7s?

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/video-ca...ra-others.html
    I wish. but they sony guys won't let it out of their sight. It'll surely fit though, as the Gyro connects to the black magic camera through a normal screw mount

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post

"it tracks"?
    "focus pane" in MF?
    Manual focus is TRUELY a breeze with the A7s. Now I only tested with the Sony lenses but I was told the same function would work for all legacy glasses.

Yes, same concept as the M240, the EVF shows the areas in focus in red in real time. It is much more fluid than the one on the M240 however. You can turn on focus peaking on top of the red focus check function but I found it to be unnecessary. The red edge is really easy to see without any magnification

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    It is much more fluid than the one on the M240 however. You can turn on focus peaking on top of the red focus check function but I found it to be unnecessary. The red edge is really easy to see without any magnification
    Were you able to try with a lens that has some field curvature wide open? If so, then I may have a new hobby on my hands fitting everything in a photograph onto the curved plane of focus. I may not actually take pictures; just walk around looking through the EVF.

Thanks for your report mmba!

Post Thanks / Like

A7r with other than M-lenses.
    A7r full resolution samples - a set on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How much is the corner smearing the sensor and not the lenses themselves? Do we have a benchmark to test that?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    How much is the corner smearing the sensor and not the lenses themselves? Do we have a benchmark to test that?
    I guess one would have to compare the results to those with the same lens on another camera. In case of an M lens on a m9 or M type240?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post

"it tracks"?
    "focus pane" in MF?
    Best to show than tell: Quick Sony NEX-7 Focus Peaking Example and Demo - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Well, 6nm CCD sensors seem to have less problems with light that comes in at an angle than CMOS, so best case would be that someone with an IQ140/160 or similar and an ALPA FPS or Hartblei H cam to test the lenses. As a bonus we'd see how the lenses perform to the extremes of their image circle.

Even more ideal would be to test all the lenses on film, but I imagine it might get tedious and pricy for the tester.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's a clever strategy for those who want to use alternative lenses, but I doubt it will fulfill Sony's own strategy: Maximum profitability from system sales........
    Your assumption is that Sony's strategy is the traditional manufacturers one of wanting to tie customers into a closed, proprietary system. You may be right, or possibly Sony are shaking up Nikon, Canon, and other players with an appealing product, attractively open enough to accept cross platform lenses. And why not? Who in the world will buy this camera without having at least one [already owned and favoured] legacy lens they'd be curious to try on their new A7/A7r? Sony know that!

Maybe I'm naive, but as someone who's utterly fed up with designers wanting to tie me in to their notion of how a product should work, I find it refreshing that these cameras leave us customers with options. I see that as a win-win; for both Sony, and attracted customers. If it's a strategy ------ it's a smart one, and those customers less playful than some of us will buy first class Zeiss auto focus lenses.

[Now where did I put that lottery ticket......].

............... Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree just look at their track record with the Nex system. They would be morons to not look at their sales and not realize folks are bolting every brand they could find on to the front end. They found a niche market by accident so take advantage of it. That's smart strategy.

Just look at Leica and RF.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree just look at their track record with the Nex system. They would be morons to not look at their sales and not realize folks are bolting every brand they could find on to the front end. They found a niche market by accident so take advantage of it. That's smart strategy.

Just look at Leica and RF.
    The difference between Leica and Sony, is that one is a small company that struggles to keep up with demand, the other is an international conglomerate that can afford to release products that they don't even know will sell yet.

For instance, you mentioned the Leica S before, but the only exciting thing that happened in S land recently is the 45mm. And the camera itself is getting long in the tooth, seeing as it's an update of 2008 technology. In terms of becoming a complete system, I'm not worried for Sony at all.

Zeiss mentioned on Twitter that they started working on their own line of manual focus lenses for the FE mount, though the Otus line won't be adapted in the near future. It could be that in two years when the A7r mkIII launches, there will more lenses than one would know what to do with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More pics (28/6 Orion-15, Color Skopar, Nokton 28, Leica 35 plus more CV12, etc pics) on A7R:

a7R + (ultra) wide-angle rangefinder lenses - a set on Flickr

Knowing that 28/6 and how it behaves, I am quite impressed.

Can not wait! This is going make a very tiny package with plenty of pixels.