Site Sponsors

Thread: DXO A7r...

Post Thanks / Like

DXO A7r...

Sony A7R sensor performance - DxOMark

So it looks like the sensor is the same as the D800/e as expected but with minor variations in the imaging chain giving slightly differing sub-scores. No 'new miracle' then, but still damned good for the size...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DXO A7r...

No complaints, it's already a very good sensor, more than most people ever need without having to look at cameras that cost much more. The variations do seem to be minor enough to chalk up to processing differences.

If there's any "secret sauce", it's only got to do with the offset micro-lenses, that make it presumably perform better with short register lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    If there's any "secret sauce", it's only got to do with the offset micro-lenses, that make it presumably perform better with short register lenses.
    We do not know if that is already present in the D800!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw in a video that the BIONZ processor is supposed to handle diffraction (to some extent) so smaller apertures can be used. If this works well, this would really be a big deal. I don't hear anybody talking about this. I wonder if this extra processing only refers to Sony/Zeiss lenses?
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

We do not know if that is already present in the D800!
    Wouldn't make sense since you can't really mount rangefinder lenses on DSLRs and every other lens is already retrofocus. No way to test it unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    I saw in a video that the BIONZ processor is supposed to handle diffraction (to some extent) so smaller apertures can be used. If this works well, this would really be a big deal. I don't hear anybody talking about this. I wonder if this extra processing only refers to Sony/Zeiss lenses?
    J. Paul
    It might be something relating to shooting jpegs, I don't know if anyone's ever attempted to do stuff to the raw data before it's been recorded, and it might disappoint people if they don't like it and there's no way to turn it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Kolor-Pikker, you may be right on this. I guess we will just have to wait and see when it comes out.

My main interest in pre-ordering this camera is in hopes that it will give me a good upgrade path from my Canon 1Ds Mark III where I can use my 17 & 24mm TS lenses with the Metabones adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Image Resource are reporting very high quality jpegs, better than D800:

Sony A7R Review: First Shots
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post