The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I am Impressed with the Sony A7R

V

Vivek

Mikal, Manual focus lenses also can be used for fast moving subjects. If you prefer AF, i hope Marc comes with the A7R and a LA-EA4 adapter. You may find that AF ing faster than your A900! :)

MikalWGrass

Vivek, I hope so. Marc came from Michigan 10 years ago to shoot my wedding. I thought it would be nice to have him shoot my step son's bar mitzvah as well, these 10 years later so he could see the growing family. He also said that if he had the 7r he would bring it so we could play around with it.

Vivek, I have great AF lenses for the a900 but sometimes, at least 50% of the time I shoot my kids' sporting activities on manual focus. Wish Sony would step up to the plate and make a good AF tracking system.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Oh, drat! I put my Summitar on the b/s this morning, and now I see these photos. Maybe I better wait to sell it till my A7r gets here.

Stefan Steib

There is a new comparison with FULL RES Images at different ISO´s here:

Sony A7 Review: First Shots

available pics A7, A7r, Sony A99 Canon 6D, Nikon D600, Fuji X Pro1

And the clear winner is A7r.
At Low ISO this "Thing" is obviously a killer. The Lens they used is a 55mm
I guess the FE 55mm F1.8 ZA prime ?

Very promising !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Ron Pfister

But they are out of camera Jpegs aren't they?
They are, but even after sharpening the D800E file, there is a marked difference. Likely, the lenses are not the same, and there may be focus errors. But the presence of the AR7 JPEGs is simply wonderful. I'm really looking forward to this camera and to comparing it to the D800E.

V

Vivek

Then you might be very, very happy.
I am not so sure, Lou. The first (sort of) support for my suspicions comes (sort of) from Tim Ashley's preliminary impressions of the files and what he alludes to as being close IQ!80 than D800.

(Note: There are so many caveats in the post!).

Ron Pfister

If it comes to about 80% of D800E, I will be very happy.
My guess is that the A7R will deliver equal or better IQ compared to the D800E. There are a number of reasons for that. Here two of them:

1.) When designing the D800E, Nikon had to keep the length of the optical path of the sensor toppings identical to those of the D800 in order to be able to use the same mirror box and AF system (and the same camera body, for that matter). Having shot with the D800E for the better part of a year now, I'm quite convinced that this engineering constraint resulted in a compromise in IQ. Don't get me wrong, the results from the D800E are stellar, but I'm quite sure they are not quite as good as they could be in terms of pixel-level detail.

2.) Sony aims to establish itself as a serious contender in photography. Over the past few years, they have carefully built up the capabilities of their products and correspondingly the interest in these products in an ever expanding user base. I think Sony is well aware that particularly the A7R is a camera that is key to their strategy. If it is a winner on all fronts, but particularly in terms of IQ, it will be adopted by many professionals. As a result, I believe they have done everything within their power to maximize the IQ delivered by the A7R.

I seriously hope that my assumptions are correct... ;)

Edit: If I am correct, and the A7R is as excellent in terms of IQ as I believe it to be, I would truly like to se an A7Rm akin to the Leica Monochrom (i.e. sensor stripped of BFA and with minimal toppings). It would be an astonishing product, Sony would be uniquely placed to do it well (as far as the sensor is concerned), and I think it would sell faster than they could make it...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

My guess is that the A7R will deliver equal or better IQ compared to the D800E. There are a number of reasons for that. Here two of them:

1.) When designing the D800E, Nikon had to keep the length of the optical path of the sensor toppings identical to those of the D800 in order to be able to use the same mirror box and AF system (and the same camera body, for that matter). Having shot with the D800E for the better part of a year now, I'm quite convinced that this engineering constraint resulted in a compromise in IQ. Don't get me wrong, the results from the D800E are stellar, but I'm quite sure they are not quite as good as they could be in terms of pixel-level detail.

2.) Sony aims to establish itself as a serious contender in photography. Over the past few years, they have carefully built up the capabilities of their products and correspondingly the interest in these products in an ever expanding user base. I think Sony is well aware that particularly the A7R is a camera that is key to their strategy. If it is a winner on all fronts, but particularly in terms of IQ, it will be adopted by many professionals. As a result, I believe they have done everything within their power to maximize the IQ delivered by the A7R.

I seriously hope that my assumptions are correct... ;)

Edit: If I am correct, and the A7R is as excellent in terms of IQ as I believe it to be, I would truly like to se an A7Rm akin to the Leica Monochrom (i.e. sensor stripped of BFA and with minimal toppings). It would be an astonishing product, Sony would be uniquely placed to do it well (as far as the sensor is concerned), and I think it would sell faster than they could make it...
Ron, Good points (though I do not agree).

1. I never understood Nikon's complicated sensor package. I am unsure of your explanation of it. (They could have just moved the sensor with thinner glass forward to achieve the same registry). I am also yet to find an AA (blur filter) in NEX-5N or NEX-6. So, the mystery exists.

2. If SOny are really serious, they would be putting their best sensor in their own cams instead of giving them to Nikon 2 years ahead. Another mystery.

About the future A7Rm (monochrome)- I would love one as well, if it comes with a quiet shutter and with no dust shaker/UV-IR filter. The Leica sensors have their UV-IR cut filter fused on the sensor casing and that also acts as the cover glass. All Sony sensors have a clear cover glass and then this dust shaker/UV-IR cut filter.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

Ron, Good points (though I do not agree).

1. I never understood Nikon's complicated sensor package. I am unsure of your explanation of it. (They could have just moved the sensor with thinner glass forward to achieve the same registry). I am also yet to find an AA (blur filter) in NEX-5N or NEX-6. So, the mystery exists.
Whatever the NEX-situation may be, I am convinced that the solution Nikon chose for the D800E was a trade-off aimed at minimizing financial risk in case the D800E would turn out to be a commercial failure. Something like two birds with 1.1 stones. :)

2. If SOny are really serious, they would be putting their best sensor in their own cams instead of giving them to Nikon 2 years ahead. Another mystery.
Smart business moves, I'd say. I'm sure Nikon paid a hefty premium for exclusive access to this sensor (and likely largely financed its R&D by doing so). At the time Sony simply wasn't in the right place yet. Modern mirrorless (i.e. non-RF) systems were not widely considered a viable alternative to DSLRs (never mind MF) by professionals at the time the sensor choice for the D800 was made (likely sometime during 2011). This has changed in the meantime.

Edit: If Sony continues to play their hand well (and I believe they have done so brilliantly over the past 3 years), I expect them to begin using their innovations in the photographic sensor arena for their own products first. The RX100-line might be a taste of that. We should not forget that Sony still sells many more APS-C and FF-sensors than it uses for its own products. The fact that Nikon recently announced a 41% YoY decrease in operating profit due to slow sales doesn't mean they're no longer the primary customer of Sony's large CMOS sensors.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

About the future A7Rm (monochrome)- I would love one as well, if it comes with a quiet shutter and with no dust shaker/UV-IR filter. The Leica sensors have their UV-IR cut filter fused on the sensor casing and that also acts as the cover glass. All Sony sensors have a clear cover glass and then this dust shaker/UV-IR cut filter.
Good point - that is not ideal. Leica's approach definitely involves fewer compromises. Is the dust shaker/cover glass design the same with the A7/R as it is with currently shipping NEX-models?

V

Vivek

Good point - that is not ideal. Leica's approach definitely involves fewer compromises. Is the dust shaker/cover glass design the same with the A7/R as it is with currently shipping NEX-models?
Here is one thread with some images. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/38930-nex-7-has-aa-filter.html

The "clear glass" of the NEX-7 is absent in NEX-5N and the NEX-6. They only have the cover glass (epoxied on the sensor casing) plus the dust shaker/UV-IR cut filter. Not sure about the X number of NEX models out there (frankly, I lost count). I have one NEX-5N without even the cover glass. These can be converted to monochrome but are nowhere near Leica MM when it comes to low light sensitivity (yes, do not go by the ISO dials), DR or image quality (not to mention the fact it really cost me a pretty penny with all the experiments).

algrove

I am not so sure, Lou. The first (sort of) support for my suspicions comes (sort of) from Tim Ashley's preliminary impressions of the files and what he alludes to as being close IQ!80 than D800.

(Note: There are so many caveats in the post!).
Agree, TA gives reason for pause. But he has such an eagle eye that most of what he finds wrong I do not seem to with 20x30 prints so far. My eyes are just not as well trained as TA's.

Just recently there was a SAR post about a guy who really liked the kit 28-70. Go figure?

I am confused and as such cannot wait for real data from Europe or in December, if I get mine that month.