The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Viewfinder Sony Nex7 vs. Alpha7R (Alpha99)

plinden

Could anyone clarify for me what if any differences there are between the original nex electronic viewfinder and the latest? From my reading of the specs the newer ones have a 0.71 magnification but the same number of dots (2,359). The latest also mention "brightness control". Does this change the contrast of the viewed image to make it more useable/accurate?

I've been disappointed with the experience of using my next viewfinder and I wonder if the newer ones are more satisfying to use? Would they seem different?

Thanks for any feedback.

Peter Linden

V

Vivek

After 20 Nov, I will be able to give you give an answer to your question.

If you did not like NEx-7's EVf, the chances are that you will not like the A7's EVF.

hot

Not bad viewfinders make bad photos .... bad people behind viewfinders make bad photos!

Slingers

I have a NEX 7 and I had an A7 and A7R in my hands the other night. I think their viewfinders are very good and quite natural to look at. I find my NEX 7 EVF to be too much like a screen that I'm too close to but I didn't think that with the short use I had with the new cameras.

Annna T

If the EVF is anything like the one in the E-M1 it will be fine for me.
It is the same E-VF as the one in the E-M1 and as the VF-4 available for the Pens. It is the last high end E-VF model produced by Epson.

Now, the implementation could be different (refresh rate, live view rendering, etc.)

k-hawinkler

It is the same E-VF as the one in the E-M1 and as the VF-4 available for the Pens. It is the last high end E-VF model produced by Epson.

Now, the implementation could be different (refresh rate, live view rendering, etc.)

Many thanks. That is my understanding as well.
I have used the VF-4 since its introduction on my E-M5.
Just wonderful. Quite an improvement. :)

VF-4: 2.36 million pixel resolution LCD, 1.48x magnification, 100% field of view
Olympus VF-4 Electronic Viewfinder for Select V329140BU000 B&H

Last edited:

Rurouni

I have an NEX-6 and would like to share my experience so far with the A7R EVF.

I can say that for eyeglass wearers the A7R EVF is a huge step up from the NEX-6.

- Firstly the eye detect detects your eye further from the EVF which is great as previously wearing large glasses, the NEX-6 would switch even with my eye to the EVF (as my eyeglasses introduce too much separation from the EVF)

- Importantly the EVF size and brightness makes it much easier to MF

- Very little tearing of image and lag

- Off angle viewing does not result in excessive image tearing