The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparisons of A7R/A7 with others

jfirneno

This appears to be a first in this front: Sony A7R Review: First Shots
Vivek:

As far as image quality goes, based on these IR comparisons, both the A7 and the A7R are right up there with any of the best cameras from Nikon and Canon (makes sense since they provide the sensors for Nikon). So the only difference for me is the auto-focus capability (and to a lesser extent the shooting options like ISO, exposure and aperture programming options). So I don't expect the A7 to match the AF capability of a D4 (or even a D800) but if it can give me respectable AF in indoor low light environment, then it's definitely the camera for me.

Regards,
John

*Unsharp Masking in Photoshop CS6 (150%, 0.3 pixel radius) - is this standard practice now? I've always stayed below 40%.

V

Vivek

As long as the same conditions/protocol is applied for all the images, it is immaterial whether PS or Nik sharpening is used, in this case.

*Unsharp Masking in Photoshop CS6 (150%, 0.3 pixel radius) - is this standard practice now? I've always stayed below 40%.
As long as you use a really small radius, it's ok. For 0.3/0.4 I use up to 140%, for 0.7-0.8 up to 100% and for 1.2-1.4 rarely over 60%. Usually I use Nik sharpener though.

Concerning the review... It's fast food right now and I'd rather wait for the Raw bistro instead. Any idea when Capture one will support the A7's?

roanjoh

This proves that Sony significantly improved their JPEG engine.........and that Canon sucks BAD! Can't wait for RAW comparison.

Paratom

nice pixel peeping of static subjects.
So how do color, lenses, AF-speed and accuracy + handling compare?

mmbma

the results are impressive! I'm sold on this sensor. I'd love to see a test with A7 vs. M9 or M., with Leica glasses on both. that would be interesting to a lot of us I think... maybe I ought to do one

Lars

so... did the blogger know how to focus his D800E? What optic was used? A7R samples look good but with (presumably) the same sensor there should be equal microcontrast if focusing and lenses are comparable.

Drn I hate pixelpeeping but it's sooo seductive! :)

V

Vivek

The sensor might be the same but the thick stack of glass on the sensor that Nikon employ are absent here (there is simply no room!). Besides that the heat dissipation unit and the processors are very different. I doubt the A7R performs better than the D800E. If it comes close, in real life use, it would be simply amazing.

Tim

I would have liked to have seen one of the DP Merrills in this comparison.
What surprises me most is how well the A7 holds up against the A7r.

algrove

the results are impressive! I'm sold on this sensor. I'd love to see a test with A7 vs. M9 or M., with Leica glasses on both. that would be interesting to a lot of us I think... maybe I ought to do one
But then you'll have to buy an M for the test and that money could buy three a7r.