The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Electronic Viewfinder versus Optical Viewfinder

jpaulmoore

Hello all, I recently pre-ordered the a7r and I plan on using it with the Metabones adapter and use my Canon glass. What I am most curious about at this point is how different the viewing experience is with the EVF versus a Canon 1Ds Mark III or equivalent. Is it a major adjustment getting used to a EVF?
Thanks,
J. Paul

Bimjo

It's an adjustment, but like anything new you get used to it fairly quickly.

DIfferences? IMO:

In darker scenes the EVF gets really grainy, the OVF gets really dark.

In fast moving scenes the EVF may smear a bit, the OVF won't.

Some EVFs tilt, no OVF does. Great for shooting ceilings etc. without bending over backwards to do it.

Focus peaking. EVF yes, OVF no. Is it important? Up to you.

Shoot sunsets without frying your retina? EVF yes, OFV no.

There are more, those are the major ones for me. Others may disagree/have different issues. YMMV

Shashin

You will not fry your eyes shooting sunsets with an OVF. The proof is all the photographers that shoot sunsets and still have their eyesight. Same with sunrises. It does not fry the sensor either.

I shoot at night. An EVF is just black, you can still see an image with an OVF which helps with framing, but judging focus is still hard. I have an OVF for my RX-1 for this purpose.

Last edited:

algrove

Like any new camera it just takes getting used to in order to get your shooting flow personalized for your shooting style.

jpaulmoore

Thanks to all for your input on EVF's versus OVF. Guess I won't really know until I get my Sony A7r and start shooting with my Canon TS lenses. Hope there are no unpleasant surprises.
Regards,
J. Paul

algrove

Just be patient. Also keep checking back here as I have received very good setup information from experienced Sony users after getting my RX-1.