The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Call for RAWS. A7r

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Would love to get my hands on some raws files to play with in C1 which does support it. Anyone out there that has some and like to share that would be great.

V

Vivek

There is a bit of history to that. There is a one day limit to the edit function (for good reasons).

Capture One does not recognize the Sony A7r raw files (I have tried).
Iridient, LR5.3 RC and RPP (beta) are already supporting the new Sony's.

anGy

Lightroom 5.3 RC do open the A7r raw files, just tested it.
Camera profiles are available in the development tool.

Very nice on my Macbook Air. Will quickly try them on my Eizo screen. Would be great if Sony color and mid tones rendition would again be better than nikon (as for the Alpha 900 vs Nikon D3x files).

I read somewhere it did . Don't remember where though. Maybe Frank Dordof
Guy, I ran into that problem too, some early Raws I had downloaded were read by C1, but identified as from an NEX 7. I thought it would hold true for all future files until proper camera supports was added, but apparantly it was a pre-production firmware glitch that got ironed out in later media samples.

To tell you the truth, it was probably a good idea that Sony threw a bag over that, because the early Raws looked pretty awful in terms of detail (no detail rather), although the 14-stops DR was there to play with.

Alas the download link to those files is broken and I long since deleted them because it was amusing for only so long. Then again maybe I have a zip in my downloads since I rarely delete stuff from there to my inevitable horror.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay thanks I thought I was going crazy as I saw it somewhere but have not tried it. I'll patently wait it out. I would like to get this body but this time I refuse to be the guinea pig. Thats my story and sticking to it. LOL

I'm waiting for someone to try the Leica 19mm R lens and if it works well than I'll jump the fence on it. Like to see a better solution for Nikon G adapters as well.

FYI, the Sony's are already on sale in Korea, so if you feel down for some black market drug dealing, you could import one if they aren't completely sold out already. YouTube video of Sony store in Korea

Barring that, you can be sure that Korean forums will be on fire with image samples and comparisons soon, which sites like SonyAlphaRumors will kindly filter for us westerners and pick out the interesting bits. Luckily pictures are an international language.

Also, the new LA-EA3 & EA4 A-mount adapters are now shipping via B&H.

jpaulmoore

Guy, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the A7r. I am so desperate to improve upon my Canon 1Ds Mark III files that I am willing to take a gamble. If I find that there are issues using the 17 & 24 TS lenses (before mine arrives) I will cancel my order.
Regards,
J. Paul

Knorp

Some shots I took this evening with the A7R and Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/60 and Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 2.8-4.5/28-90 Asph.

I've put them in a Dropbox folder, hopefully you'll have access ... :eek:

Sony A7R samples

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Some shots I took this evening with the A7R and Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/60 and Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 2.8-4.5/28-90 Asph.

Sony A7R samples

Kind regards.

Many thanks Bart. :)
So what's your initial impression? ;)
Will the A7R work with your R lenses well enough?

V

Vivek

Sony A7R samples

Kind regards.
Foto Konijnenberg? :)

I recognize the guy (on the right) in #7 (Well, JAO is in many of the frames). He has sold all his Nikon gear for the A7R.

Knorp

Many thanks Bart. :)
So what's your initial impression? ;)
Will the A7R work with your R lenses well enough?
Hi there Karl-Heinz,

the A7R works splendidly with my R-glass, no doubt here, which is just as well as I'd already ordered the A7R a while back ... :D
Admittedly, the UI can be awkward at times, but I'm sure I'll cope and get used to it in the end.
Focusing aids as "Zebra" and "Peaking" are really helpful with manual lenses.
All in all I'm really looking forward to collect my copy.
As a matter of fact I've already got a spare battery and a Novoflex NEX/LER adapter ... :toocool:
Next purchase will be the battery grip and the battery charger.

All the very best.