Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The A7/R Adaptor thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The A7/R Adaptor thread

Apparently so, but for the time being that offer has nothing to do with us in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Algrove, thanks for your reply. It sure would be nice to get this deal....or at least a big discount on one.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

would a 4/3 lens be adaptable to the A7r? thinking of the 14-35 f/2 Oly zoom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    would a 4/3 lens be adaptable to the A7r? thinking of the 14-35 f/2 Oly zoom
    You can find Four Thirds to Nex E mount adapters because the A7/7r flange distance is shorter than that of FT bodies. So yes, you can mount the lens on an A7 too. But the lens was made for a sensor whose diagonal is half that of a FF and whose area is 1/4th of the FF sensor. So the lens won't be able to cover the whole sensor. Some lenses have a bigger image circle than others, but I doubt a FT lens would be able to cover a FF sensor. If you are ready to crop the frames no body will prevent you to do it, but why not get an E-M1 in that case ? The lens would surely focus faster than on the A7/7r.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Algrove, thanks for your reply. It sure would be nice to get this deal....or at least a big discount on one.
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    I just bought the R-E for $99 (tripod QR included on base) and the M-E for $89 and B&H. So they do not break the bank for those prices. Agree free is good, but have not seen nor heard of that here.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody tried out pentax glass yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    I saw a video recently (maybe from Australia) mentioning that there is some type of promotion where Sony is including a Metabones adapter with a purchase of a Sony A7r. Is this for real? Is this for real?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    In Australia there is a promotion for an adapter with the camera's. At the event I was at and I think it was the same as video you saw from bunty, they said it was for body only options.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Anybody tried out pentax glass yet?
    There are some on Flickr. The Pentax FA 31 looks quite nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Today, I have received a Novoflex NEX/LEM adapter and the matching tripod collar ASTAT-NEX. Here my impressions:

I have previously used Voigtländer adapters, and have been very happy with them. The reason I decided to purchase the Novoflex is the rotating tripod collar. I have to say that the Novoflex adapter is clearly a step above the Voigtländer in both fit and finish. The fit on both mounts is perfect - very snug, but not too tight (very similar to my Rayqual Nikon-F/Canon-EF adapter).

And then I made a pleasant discovery: I have a Voigtländer Sony-E/Nikon-F adapter. Out of curiosity, I tried to place the ASTAT-NEX tripod collar on it, and it fits perfectly! It's a bit fiddly to put the collar on the adapter, and one has to be careful not to force the collar open too far (aluminum is brittle stuff), but the fit is first rate. I was originally considering getting the Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter, but now I won't have to…

With my NEXen, I have primarily used M-mount lenses, but I expect that to change with the A7R, especially when working with a tripod. I therefore did some handling tests with a variety of Leica and Zeiss SLR-lenses and the above adapter/collar combo on a tripod. I think with the slightly larger body of the A7R, the ergonomics will be excellent, and the entire setup will still be a lot lighter and less bulky than with the D800E. I can probably also get away with a lighter/smaller tripod, which is welcome. The rigidity of the Novoflex collar seems adequate, even with the larger lenses I tried (Leica 2.8/180 APO, Zeiss 2/100 M-Planar). But only testing will show if that is indeed the case. If that proves to be true, I won't need an L-plate for the A7R, thus fully preserving its size-advantage over the D800E.

Hope this is useful info for some of you…

Edit: I noticed there's a significant weight difference between the Voigtländer and the Novoflex E-mount/M-mount adapters (65 vs. 35 grams). It looks like the Novoflex is made entirely of aluminum, whereas the Voigtländer seems made largely of plated brass. Something for weight watchers to bear in mind…
    Last edited by Ron Pfister; 18th November 2013 at 07:52.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon G to the Sony A7R. Is this it . Please confirm

Metabones Nikon G Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens MB_NFG-E-BM1 B&H
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I already posted earlier on this thread see post#19 and the ensuing crap. I would not have repeated this but then you happen to be a super moderator.

Yes, AFAIK, that is the only game in town.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Nikon G to the Sony A7R.]
    There is also a Novoflex adapter - Novoflex Adapter for Nikon Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/NIK B&H

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Folks. I should have looked just on a deadline. My bad
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to wrap my head around this - I've searched both here and other places and can't get an answer I understand. Is there a lens adaptor for Canon EOS lenses that will allow me to have full function of the glass with a A7R? Guess I'm really asking is can I use my canon lenses to their fullest on the sony? It looks like metabones has something, does anyone else (voltlander or novoflex).
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I can't seem to wrap my head around this - I've searched both here and other places and can't get an answer I understand. Is there a lens adaptor for Canon EOS lenses that will allow me to have full function of the glass with a A7R? Guess I'm really asking is can I use my canon lenses to their fullest on the sony? It looks like metabones has something, does anyone else (voltlander or novoflex).
    AFAIK, Voigtlander & Novoflex (surprising since they were the ones who made the macro reversing adapter for EOS with full functions!) do NOT have them. It seems they lost their mojo.
    Last edited by Vivek; 23rd November 2013 at 12:08. Reason: Missing words!

Post Thanks / Like

The Metabones Smart Adapter Mk III is the only adapter that enables IS, AF and electronic aperture control on Canon EF lenses (see supported lenses on Metabones' site). The adapter can be a bit temperamental, but it's worth it, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    The Metabones Smart Adapter Mk III is the only adapter that enables IS, AF and electronic aperture control on Canon EF lenses (see supported lenses on Metabones' site). The adapter can be a bit temperamental, but it's worth it, IMO.
    MMmm : what do you mean by temperamental ? Is it not always working as intended ?

I thought I had read something about a Deotech adapter doing more or less the same thing at a lower price ?

Post Thanks / Like

I am having bad luck with the LEM/SonyE adapters.
    Unable to find a Novoflex I bought first a Leinox which I could not safely mount/dismount without risking to damage the lens (too tight).
    I found then a Fotodiox which I can mount/dismount more easily but I noticed that there is a substantial mismatch between the actual focus distance and the distance shown on the lens barrel (the latter being always much shorter). I guess the adapter is thinner than it should be.
    Hopefully next week I will get a Voigtlander which seems to be available with one of my suppliers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Does this have an aperture control ring? It's not clear from Novoflex's website that it has one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    Does this have an aperture control ring? It's not clear from Novoflex's website that it has one.

Mine does. It's the blue ring.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    MMmm : what do you mean by temperamental ? Is it not always working as intended?
    After detaching certain lenses and powering off the camera, the camera will lock up once being powered back on. The only way to recover from this is to remove the battery.

Also, when using tele-converters, it is important to follow the right order of attaching converter and lens in order to be able to set the mode of the adapter correctly and to prevent incorrect reporting of focal length and aperture in EXIF.

Neither of these quirks are deal-breakers in my view, as this adapter allows you to attach 24MP APS-C and now 36MP FF cameras to canon glass, neither of which is possible with Canon bodies.

I thought I had read something about a Deotech adapter doing more or less the same thing at a lower price ?
    I've heard of these adapters, but have not used them. As a result, I can't comment on their functionality. Metabones and Conurus have collaborated for quite some time now, producing these adapters. In my experience, Metabones' customer service is good, but you have to send your adapter back to the factory in Hong Kong for firmware upgrades (which I think is utter nonsense). I guess it's a case of pick your poison, as usual…
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    After detaching certain lenses and powering off the camera, the camera will lock up once being powered back on. The only way to recover from this is to remove the battery.

Also, when using tele-converters, it is important to follow the right order of attaching converter and lens in order to be able to set the mode of the adapter correctly and to prevent incorrect reporting of focal length and aperture in EXIF.

Neither of these quirks are deal-breakers in my view, as this adapter allows you to attach 24MP APS-C and now 36MP FF cameras to canon glass, neither of which is possible with Canon bodies.

I've heard of these adapters, but have not used them. As a result, I can't comment on their functionality. Metabones and Conurus have collaborated for quite some time now, producing these adapters. In my experience, Metabones' customer service is good, but you have to send your adapter back to the factory in Hong Kong for firmware upgrades (which I think is utter nonsense). I guess it's a case of pick your poison, as usual…
    Many thanks for your feedback, I appreciate. Yes, I could live with that temperament too. Thinking to it again, I think that the Deotech AF adapter is rather for the Contax G lenses than for the Canon ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a Metabones FE to Nikon G adapter. Will it allow VC lenses to continue to cancel out vibrations when mounted on an A7R? I have a Nikon mount Tamron 24-70 f 2.8, which hardly ever comes off my D800e, it is that useful.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I just ordered a Metabones FE to Nikon G adapter. Will it allow VC lenses to continue to cancel out vibrations when mounted on an A7R? I have a Nikon mount Tamron 24-70 f 2.8, which hardly ever comes off my D800e, it is that useful.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ
    No. No electronic contacts between the camera and the lens whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek. I was hoping the VC function would work.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the Novoflex have any electronic contacts for Nikon G lenses?

Also, I am curious to know what owners think about the quality difference between Novoflex and Metabones. I had a Speedbooster from Metabones briefly and was impressed by the quality in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Neither of mine do but they do allow the apertures of G lenses to be stopped down. Looking at the Novoflex website makes no mention of other Nikon-E adapters with contacts. I don't know of any that have the contacts for Nikon lenses, unfortunately.

I bought into Novoflex primarily for the rotating tripod collar

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone using FF alpha glass? I was thinking about getting an old minolta 28mm and 50mm as the pentax lenses I have with the same fov have sharpness and vingetting issues (too bad because I really like how close these lenses can focus).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm also interested in a metabones equivelant for my canon lenses. AF not so important but aperture is. $399 is a lot of money for a (as reported above) tempremental adaptor.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is anyone using FF alpha glass? I was thinking about getting an old minolta 28mm and 50mm as the pentax lenses I have with the same fov have sharpness and vingetting issues (too bad because I really like how close these lenses can focus).
    I picked up a cheap metal adapter for Minolta A (no electrical connections) as I have the 28 and 50mm lenses. Will let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters I am wondering if the Metabones adapter that I that I want to use my Canon Tilt Shift glass is going to give me the quality I want.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of Minolta/Sony/Zeiss lenses in A mount. I received the Sony LAEA3 adapter and am waiting for delivery of the A7R. I will be able to report back later. I have Minolta 20mm, 50mm f1.7, 500mm mirror, and a cheap 35-70 zoom, a Sony 28mm f2.8, as well as Zeiss 16-35 f2.8 and Zeiss 24-70 f2.8. Also have Sigma and Tamron 50mm macro, 90mm macro.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Metabones NEX to Nikon G adapter Questions

I received the Metabones NEX to Nikon G adapter today. A VERY small ball and spring were included, presumably to add "click" stops to the aperture ring indicator. No instructions...have not a clue as to how to install it. Any help?

Also, are the number markings equivalent to actual F stops? It starts with "F", then 2,3,4,5,6,7,8. If I attach an f2.8 lens, I am reasonably sure "F" corresponds to f2.8, but would "2" be equivalant to f4, "3" be f5.6, etc? Or is it a guessing game?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I have a lot of Minolta/Sony/Zeiss lenses in A mount. I received the Sony LAEA3 adapter and am waiting for delivery of the A7R. I will be able to report back later. I have Minolta 20mm, 50mm f1.7, 500mm mirror, and a cheap 35-70 zoom, a Sony 28mm f2.8, as well as Zeiss 16-35 f2.8 and Zeiss 24-70 f2.8. Also have Sigma and Tamron 50mm macro, 90mm macro.
    Dave in NJ

Looking forward to your review! The adapter for alpha lenses is really small and Sony has some small prime lenses. I´m particularly interested in the 28mm2.8, the 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8....oh, wait, Sony doesn´t have an 85mm 1.8 . Well, maybe the 100mm macro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little madness - just tried the Sony vario-sonnar f/2.8 24-70mm on the A7R using Sony's own LA-EA1 adapter and while the lens auto focuses and works, the adapter itself vignettes the image circle. It's clear this is the adapter not the lens - you can see the square outline of the adapter mask on the image. This of course is with auto cropping turned off on the A7R. Clearly when Sony designed the LA-EA1 so that old alpha full frame lenses could be used on NEX cameras, little though was given to future product development of the E-mount.

The later LA-EA3 should not have this issue as it is designed for full frame e mount cameras.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Clearly when Sony designed the LA-EA1 so that old alpha full frame lenses could be used on NEX cameras, little though was given to future product development of the E-mount.
    This would be a long story if I launch at this ...just the fact there is a LA-EA4 with the Sony A7/7R tells the whole story.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very glad you've brought this up as I though many times about getting some alpha primes to use with the very same adapter. I would have been EXTREMELY angry had this happened after I invested money on more lenses.

I think it's important for you to post this on the adapter thread, as you can stop a lot of people from being disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen any mention of a Sigma adaptor for the 7r.

Does anyone know if it exists ?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind.

I found the answer myself.

You can adapt sigma to the 7r via the native A-mount adaptor.

The 35 and 50 art glass primes would be an awesome combo.

Post Thanks / Like

When shooting with the A7R yesterday, I used my Voigtländer F-Adapter and different Leica-R and Zeiss C/Y lenses that I've leitaxed to Nikon F-mount. I noticed flare issues with all lenses when pointing the camera at a dark subject with a very bright background. All these lenses are known to have inadequate shades (too wide for the focal length). However, it was not a general veiling flare, but quite distinctly sickle-shaped, though soft in appearance. I'm assuming it is a reflection bounced off either the adapter's rear mount or the Leitax mount. I'll paint them with a matte black marker when I have a chance, and will test again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    He might also like to add a comment on the difference between G and nonG lenses in terms of adaptors: Novoflex seems to offer one adaptor that works for both but the Metabones site is pretty unclear...
    I suppose this is common knowledge at this point, but the Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter has a rotating blue ring, with two circles at the ends of the travel, one large (wide open), one small (stopped down). This works with G lenses. With F lenses, you set the ring to stopped down, and use the aperture ring, or you set the lens to stopped down, and use the blue ring, as you prefer.

Mine cost 169 Euro in the Sony Style store in Berlin, and the blue ring isn't knurled like the one on the B&H website, but rather, has a sinewavy knurling with a much longer period and amplitude.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My A7R arrived yesterday and I was pleased to find that the TechArt AF adapter for Contax G lenses works fine on the A7R. Next I need to sort out my wides to find out which ones will work with the A7R.

Quick test shot with the Contax G45 Planar using the TechArt AF adapter.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl
    I have the same lens and adapter. Did you find the AF worked to your liking? Did you use tripod?

I might not get my a7r for some time. Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Carl
    I have the same lens and adapter. Did you find the AF worked to your liking? Did you use tripod?

I might not get my a7r for some time. Thanks.
    Yes, AF was even better than what I was used to on the NEX6. This shot was on a tripod in dim light using the 2 sec self timer at f/5.6 for about 2.5 sec exposure at ISO 50. Click to see full size image which is a 100% crop.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Enter at your own risk. This is pure camera porn: SONY A7R with Legacy LENS
    Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 is just beautiful!
    Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 looks very very cool.
    HELIOS 44 55mm f2 - awesome crazy bokeh
    Leitz Summitar 50mm f2 - amazing
    Navitar. 50-0.95 - despite the light fall off it as a very very cool bokeh
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today I tried using Nikon mount lens with CV adapter on my newly arrived A7. I have noticed that adapter seems to be introducing vignetting and bluish cast.

I would like to hear what are experiences of others with vignetting and color casts when they use adapters for DSLR lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

My Nikon adaptor (by MTF) arrives today and I will give it a good testing and let you know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    My Nikon adaptor (by MTF) arrives today and I will give it a good testing and let you know...
    Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma 35 1.4 using the new adapter from Sony.
    Focus is fairly fast and accurate. Even in low light there was no hunting. Holding this by the bottom of the adapter works really well for this larger lens.

Post Thanks / Like

I have previously reported about using the Voigtländer F-Adapter with the A7R. While this adapter works fine with short focal length lenses whose rear elements are generally very close to the mount or may even be protruding, I noticed today that the version of the adapter I own (purchased about a year ago) does vignette quite severely with lenses whose rear element is deeply recessed (i.e. most telephoto and macro lenses).

While it is possible to remove the baffle inside the rear mount of the adapter to resolve the vignetting problem, this is not for the faint of heart: the shimmed rear mount must be removed to do so, and highly reflective metal surfaces revealed by removing the baffle must be painted with matte black paint to avoid flare.

If you own this adapter, the above is definitely doable, but I would recommend against anyone buying this adapter specifically for use with the A7/A7R for the time being. Perhaps Voigtländer will release an updated version soon...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post