The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

V

Vivek

What is BS? That I pointed out something is calibrated and others are not? :wtf:

segedi

I'll be using the Phigmenttech and Hawk's with M mount. But still going to wait a bit before diving into another new camera.

tashley

Subscriber Member
So here's a question: do any of the Nikon lens to E mount adaptors offer autofocus functions? The websites of some of these people are truly opaque!

JoelM

I guess that my Contax (RTS III) lenses will never be usable on this camera, correct? The G and G2 lenses are adaptable, but not the Contax/Yashica???

TIA,

Joel

V

Vivek

I guess that my Contax (RTS III) lenses will never be usable on this camera, correct? The G and G2 lenses are adaptable, but not the Contax/Yashica???

TIA,

Joel
Joel, Type your query in eBay and find out for yourself how many adapters are out there!

(C/Y lenses are even used on Canon EOS cams using adapters!)

k-hawinkler

So here's a question: do any of the Nikon lens to E mount adaptors offer autofocus functions? The websites of some of these people are truly opaque!
Tim,

No, not as far as I know.
Canon's lens mount is all electronic.
That's not the case for the Nikon F mount apparently which has some consequences.

k-hawinkler

I'll be using the Phigmenttech and Hawk's with M mount. But still going to wait a bit before diving into another new camera.
Thanks. The Phigmenttech is my favorite M to E adapter when shooting handheld.
I also have the Hawk's Factory M to E, and M to MFT adapter.
However, extending the adapter by the maximum 3 mm forward can create focus problems for FLE lenses.

Sony A7r some full resolution test shots - FM Forums

scho

Anna:

The "manual" focus is via a motor driven screw built into the adapter. There is a little lever on the adapter that you push clockwise or counter-clockwise to focus in or out. Actually works quite well but different from a manual focus experience. There is no direct linkage to aperture so you have to set aperture manually on the lens and change the setting in your camera to keep the exposure straight. It's definitely not a smooth system but you do get to use your Contax G lenses. I'm reasonably happy with it.

Regards,
John
+1 and also manual focusing with the adapter engages peaking in the NEX (and presumably the A7r as well) with the option for magnification also.

Godfrey

Here's my experience with a range of adapters for X to FourThirds SLR, X to Micro-FourThirds, and X to M-bayonet:

Fotodiox decent quality but lots of thickness variance.
Metabones wouldn't mount six of ten of my Leica M lenses.
Cirrus works well but sloppy fit.
Rayqual works as advertised.
Voigtländer works as advertised.
Novoflex works better than advertised.

G

k-hawinkler

Here's my experience with a range of adapters for X to FourThirds SLR, X to Micro-FourThirds, and X to M-bayonet:

Fotodiox decent quality but lots of thickness variance.
Metabones wouldn't mount six of ten of my Leica M lenses.
Cirrus works well but sloppy fit.
Rayqual works as advertised.
Voigtländer works as advertised.
Novoflex works better than advertised.

G
I have to say that my best so far have also been Novoflex...

Novoflex adapters are the best purely mechanical ones that I have encountered.
The Phigmenttech M to E adapter makes an electrical connection.
It can enter the focal length into the Exif and can be set to engage magnification as soon as the lens is being focused.
More here. https://www.phigmenttech.ca/lmnex/index.php?page=product

Shac

I have various makes of adapters (fotodiox, voigtlander, Hawks and some really cheap ones) and have bought some Novoflex ones (most used) primarily for the tripod collar so I can use longer MF lenses on the Nex 6 without straining the body mount. I find they are excellent - but have had no problems with any adapter so far. The only complaint is a Fotodiox with a tripod foot - the adapter was OK but the foot was flimsily attached to the adapter.
I like my Hawks adapter for Leica M lenses, but it's the first version and not as user friendly as the newer ones. I might spring for the Voigtlander helical eventually. My Voigtlander Leica M adapter is very well made IMO

Knorp

Regarding the very interesting Phigment LM-NEX adapter, this is from their site:

Regarding International Sales
Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:00:00 -0400
Hi Everybody,

Many questions regarding international sales and shipping have come in over the past few days. At the time, I indicated that I will look in to making this available. After doing some investigation the decision was made that it is not something we can reasonably support for the following reasons:

Sales Restrictions: I do not have the resources to generate the appropriate documentation required for various international standards bodies. Even if I did, the process would take a minimum of 4 weeks and possibly cost more than it's worth.
Service Standards: The passion for photography and technology development is what inspired and drove this product. If there is one thing I've learned through experience, it's that promising too much or extending too far beyond one's capabilities is a sure way to have the end product suffer. Ultimately, it makes the most sense to support what you know in order to give the best customer service.
I apologize for any false hope, but until this company grows and acquires the required resources, it will only be able to support the North American markets.

Sincerely,
Paul Habsch
Phigment Technologies
I guess we "Internationals" have to order via Karl-Heinz ... :facesmack:

Kind regards.

mjm6

Novoflex adapters are the best purely mechanical ones that I have encountered.
The Phigmenttech M to E adapter makes an electrical connection.
It can enter the focal length into the Exif and can be set to engage magnification as soon as the lens is being focused.
More here. https://www.phigmenttech.ca/lmnex/index.php?page=product
K-H,

Thanks for that info... I may have finally found a replacement for my M9, and this adapter will transfer the FL info, which will be handy, for sure.... especially if we can assign lens corrections to the lens in LR or other software automatically. That could solve any minor color shift problem in the corners (but not smearing, unfortunately).

I, along with many, many others, are waiting with bated breath for the results of the wide angle M lenses tests... I figure I can't really lose, though, as I have a fairly complete assortment of R lenses adapted to the Sony mount, so if I go for the M lenses or the R lenses, I'll be running happily with the a7r, along with the a900 that I love deeply.

I'm still a bit unhappy that Sony decided to kill the OVF before making one more pro grade camera.

---Michael