The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

Slingers

Incase someone reading doesn't have any adapters my experience is that I started off getting the adapters for the mounts I had, Nikon F, M42, MD/MC, C/Y, EF and later Contax G, to E mount. But then I started to get 2 adapters to make use of functionality like the helicoid adapter or the speedbooster. So now I have for instance LM to MD/MC, or EF to C/Y and I attach to LM to E or EF to E adapters. I don't find that there is any disadvantage to a double adapter but I have adapters I like more than others like the voightlander F to E mount.

gurtch

K-H,

Thanks for that info... I may have finally found a replacement for my M9, and this adapter will transfer the FL info, which will be handy, for sure.... especially if we can assign lens corrections to the lens in LR or other software automatically. That could solve any minor color shift problem in the corners (but not smearing, unfortunately).

I, along with many, many others, are waiting with bated breath for the results of the wide angle M lenses tests... I figure I can't really lose, though, as I have a fairly complete assortment of R lenses adapted to the Sony mount, so if I go for the M lenses or the R lenses, I'll be running happily with the a7r, along with the a900 that I love deeply.

I'm still a bit unhappy that Sony decided to kill the OVF before making one more pro grade camera.

---Michael
ME TOO! I have been hanging on to my A900 waiting for an upgrade 36 Mp sensor Sony OVF camera. I got tired of waiting and bought a D800E and lenses....but I still have a bunch of beautiful Zeiss, Sony G and Minolta lenses. I ordered an A7R, but I still greatly prefer an OVF.
Dave in NJ

waterden

I have posted the following question on FM Forum but have received only one reply so am re-posting here.

I hope to have one of the new A7(R) cameras in the next few weeks - haven't yet made up my mind as to which but leaning to the A7. I have a number of alternate lenses and have adapters for LM (metabones, Voigtlander) and MD (Novoflex) to Nex. However, I have no Canon EF to E-mount adapter and would like advice as to a reliable make. I should say at the outset that I shall not be adapting any Canon EF lenses so will not need the expensive Metabones Smart Adapter for EF. However, I do have several Olympus OM and Leica-R lenses which have been Leitaxed for use on my Canon 6D and which I should like to use, thus adapted for Canon, on the A7. I have heard mixed opinions about the build of the Fotodiox adapter but can find no other since Novoflex and Metabones do not do one for manual focus / aperture ring EF mount lenses. Maybe the Fotodiox Pro is the only choice unless anyone can suggest otherwise.

Michiel Schierbeek

If they have been chipped you want focus conformation, exif data etc, so you need an adapter with a chip. Why not try the Viltrox?

If you live in the US there seems to be a free adapter present of your choice when you buy an A7 (metabones)

V

Vivek

Michiel, That one might work only for APS-C. The baffle needs modification to avoid clipping.

Michiel Schierbeek

:facesmack:Of course, we are talking Full Frame now.
I still have to get used at that.:D
I think we need more time for the market to come up with alternatives.

jpaulmoore

I saw a video recently (maybe from Australia) mentioning that there is some type of promotion where Sony is including a Metabones adapter with a purchase of a Sony A7r. Is this for real? Is this for real?
Thanks,
J. Paul

jpaulmoore

Algrove, thanks for your reply. It sure would be nice to get this deal....or at least a big discount on one.
Regards,
J. Paul

Annna T

would a 4/3 lens be adaptable to the A7r? thinking of the 14-35 f/2 Oly zoom
You can find Four Thirds to Nex E mount adapters because the A7/7r flange distance is shorter than that of FT bodies. So yes, you can mount the lens on an A7 too. But the lens was made for a sensor whose diagonal is half that of a FF and whose area is 1/4th of the FF sensor. So the lens won't be able to cover the whole sensor. Some lenses have a bigger image circle than others, but I doubt a FT lens would be able to cover a FF sensor. If you are ready to crop the frames no body will prevent you to do it, but why not get an E-M1 in that case ? The lens would surely focus faster than on the A7/7r.

algrove

Algrove, thanks for your reply. It sure would be nice to get this deal....or at least a big discount on one.
Regards,
J. Paul
I just bought the R-E for $99 (tripod QR included on base) and the M-E for $89 and B&H. So they do not break the bank for those prices. Agree free is good, but have not seen nor heard of that here.

Slingers

I saw a video recently (maybe from Australia) mentioning that there is some type of promotion where Sony is including a Metabones adapter with a purchase of a Sony A7r. Is this for real? Is this for real?
Thanks,
J. Paul
In Australia there is a promotion for an adapter with the camera's. At the event I was at and I think it was the same as video you saw from bunty, they said it was for body only options.

Ron Pfister

Today, I have received a Novoflex NEX/LEM adapter and the matching tripod collar ASTAT-NEX. Here my impressions:

I have previously used Voigtländer adapters, and have been very happy with them. The reason I decided to purchase the Novoflex is the rotating tripod collar. I have to say that the Novoflex adapter is clearly a step above the Voigtländer in both fit and finish. The fit on both mounts is perfect - very snug, but not too tight (very similar to my Rayqual Nikon-F/Canon-EF adapter).

And then I made a pleasant discovery: I have a Voigtländer Sony-E/Nikon-F adapter. Out of curiosity, I tried to place the ASTAT-NEX tripod collar on it, and it fits perfectly! It's a bit fiddly to put the collar on the adapter, and one has to be careful not to force the collar open too far (aluminum is brittle stuff), but the fit is first rate. I was originally considering getting the Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter, but now I won't have to… :)

With my NEXen, I have primarily used M-mount lenses, but I expect that to change with the A7R, especially when working with a tripod. I therefore did some handling tests with a variety of Leica and Zeiss SLR-lenses and the above adapter/collar combo on a tripod. I think with the slightly larger body of the A7R, the ergonomics will be excellent, and the entire setup will still be a lot lighter and less bulky than with the D800E. I can probably also get away with a lighter/smaller tripod, which is welcome. The rigidity of the Novoflex collar seems adequate, even with the larger lenses I tried (Leica 2.8/180 APO, Zeiss 2/100 M-Planar). But only testing will show if that is indeed the case. If that proves to be true, I won't need an L-plate for the A7R, thus fully preserving its size-advantage over the D800E.

Hope this is useful info for some of you…

Edit: I noticed there's a significant weight difference between the Voigtländer and the Novoflex E-mount/M-mount adapters (65 vs. 35 grams). It looks like the Novoflex is made entirely of aluminum, whereas the Voigtländer seems made largely of plated brass. Something for weight watchers to bear in mind… ;)

Last edited: