Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The A7/R Adaptor thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The A7/R Adaptor thread

Unfortunately I don't see an EOS to Sony Nex mount on the Novoflex website. I've also found Novoflex the best adapters in the past for my Nikon to EOS and Leica R to EOS adapters. I guess Metabones is the only option at this point?

Post Thanks / Like

The Metabones Mk III Smart Adapter may be of interest:

Metabones®

Post Thanks / Like

Any one need an EOS to NEX adapter---free?

I bought the wrong adapter for my A7R. I meant to buy a Canon FD to NEX, but instead bought the EOS adapter. Brand new, never used. This is an inexpensive one, but appears to be nicely made. This is the 'dumb" one, you cannot set F stops. I want it to have a good home. If you want it to play with, first PM I get, I will put it in a padded bag and send it to you with my compliments. Merry Christmas.
    Dave in NJ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Any one need an EOS to NEX adapter---free?

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I bought the wrong adapter for my A7R. I meant to buy a Canon FD to NEX, but instead bought the EOS adapter. Brand new, never used. This is an inexpensive one, but appears to be nicely made. This is the 'dumb" one, you cannot set F stops. I want it to have a good home. If you want it to play with, first PM I get, I will put it in a padded bag and send it to you with my compliments. Merry Christmas.
    Dave in NJ
    It is still useful, Dave. Buy any of the adapters (M42 -> EOS, PK to EOS, Exakta to EOS, OM to EOS, Leica R to EOS, etc) and you can still use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek: Thanks for the idea!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek: thanks to you, I already have a use for it! I found on my shelf an ancient 100 mm Spiratone f4 Portragon, T mount. It is a single element fixed aperature soft focus lens, long since discontinued. I used to use Canon equipment, and on the lens was a T mount to EOS adapter! I can mount this to my EOS to NEX adapter, and try this funky lens on my A7r.
    Thanks again....
    Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to hear that Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading:

LensRentals.com - Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?

If I didn't already have the RX1, I would be all over the 35mm FE Zeiss lens.

I'm also happy with my Leica Noct and the Metabones adapter so I won't be looking at the 55mm FE Zeiss either.

When they come out with something wide though ...

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this, Bill! Very interesting, indeed. Confirms me in my adapter shimming fetish...

However, I wish they had used something like the Summicron-R 50 E55 instead of the Macro-Planar 50. The latter is notorious for weak corners.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that cameraquest shows the voigtlander close focus adapter ($309) is in stock now. Has anyone tried one on the A7/A7R? I used to have Hawk's for the Nex 7 and would like to have a helicoid adapter for the A7.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to have those forwarded.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Victor, we should probably put this in a different thread, but I am not bothered by minor vignetting. I am bothered by MTF degradation in the corners. Some is always there, but the 90 seems relatively immune. I will try a flat field but that does not show the MTF problem. Need to put a resolution target in the corners for that. I believe Ron does that sort of thing.
    No need for a resolution target. Any reasonably planar subject with fine structural detail spanning the entire frame will do (e.g. the proverbial brick wall, a straight row of trees, etc.). The fact that the A7R's sensor lacks an OLPF means that differences in MTF between center and corners will be very apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darrellc View Post
    I see that cameraquest shows the voigtlander close focus adapter ($309) is in stock now. Has anyone tried one on the A7/A7R? I used to have Hawk's for the Nex 7 and would like to have a helicoid adapter for the A7.
    No, I haven't, but I'm curious about it, too. I have the Hawk's Helicoid, and it has a significant amount of slop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    ...The fact that the A7R's sensor lacks an OLPF means that differences in MTF between center and corners will be very apparent.
    Ron, could you please elaborate on your argument here? I'm trying to figure out how the absence of a low-pass filter increases, or at least makes more apparent, the difference in MTF readings between the centre and corners. Is it that the filter has significantly greater effect on sharpness at the centre than at the edges? I'm grateful for whatever you can do to educate me!

It might educate some others, too. Indeed, it might help explain the findings in Mr Cicala's fascinating, and much discussed, piece: LensRentals.com - Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?

Many thanks. Nettar

Post Thanks / Like

Nettar, sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant to say is that with the very high image detail that is afforded by the lack of an OLPF on the A7R's 36MP sensor, it is easier to spot even the most minute differences in image detail compared to a sensor that does feature an OLPF (A7). This of course applies throughout the sensor surface, but we are interested in comparing center to corners in this particular case...

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone try the new Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter? It is an adapter for e-mount that allows you to focus way closes with leica m lenses...which frankly it's the only thing that kept me from investing in leica glass over the years.
    Last edited by Rawfa; 19th December 2013 at 01:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Rafael, I have used the Hawks helicoid adapter (which I believe was the first such adapter for E-mount) extensively with the NEX-7. The manufacturing tolerances of that adapter aren't very tight at all, and it therefore has quite a bit of slop (it's pretty serious: you can see the lens move very obviously with respect to the camera when you focus or change the aperture, particularly when the helicoid is extended). I expect the Voigtländer to be better with this respect, but haven't seen it in the flesh.

I have yet to try the Hawks adapter on the A7R, and am wondering to what extent the corner performance problems with M-glass are affected by helicoid extension. In theory, the situation should improve due to the exit pupil moving away from the sensor, but there may be other factors at play, as well.

In general, though, I have decided to stay away from M-lenses with the A7R, but that's just me...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, Ron. I'm very curious about this adapter in particular. Kipon also has one just like it but I could not find any tests with the A7/A7R.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested (and if Cosina states that it's FF compatible), I'd go for the Voigtländer. Judging by other Voigtländer adapters I have, my guess is it will be very well made (and they make the Zeiss Otus, so high quality is certainly known to them ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Ron. I'm very curious about this adapter in particular. Kipon also has one just like it but I could not find any tests with the A7/A7R.
    Well, I have two adaptors in the mail: one is the photodiox pro (coming from the US) and the Kipon (coming from the UK). Both should be here soon and I will comment then. Metabones had sold out, so I ordered the photodiox pro, before realising I could get a Kipon here in the UK.

Looking at the internet photos the Kipon does look nicely machined and has those touches like matt black ribbed throat to reduce reflections. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle, did you order the regular leica-m adapter or the one with the close focus?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    The Metabones Mk III Smart Adapter may be of interest:

Metabones®
    Remarkably my Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM is autofocussing on this adapter with my A7R (AFAIK it's only meant to work with native Canon lenses), it's slow and only accurate about 80% of the time however it's good enough for the only time I use autofocus, namely when I get someone to take a picture of me with my Camera .

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used a Rollei QBM to NEX adapter? There are a limited number available and a previous adapter I purchased for m4/3 was a little gimmicky in how it depressed the aperture pin to allow the aperture to be controlled. If anyone has one that works well I'd be interested in the "maker".
    Also, from what I read about Contax G to NEX adapters, Metabones and Kipon are the 2 best and each have their own problems, i.e. Metabones has a difficult method of changing lenses and Kipon focusing seem to be less smooth. Has either manufacturer cured their weakness by now? I suppose the Techart autofocus might be the ultimate answer, but would like to try my specific G lenses to see if it is worth the cost.
    Thank you. These question may have been discussed ad infinitum but not in this thread so I'd appreciate someone to direct me to those discussions if they exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle, did you order the regular leica-m adapter or the one with the close focus?
    Ive ordered regular adaptors, with no close focus. Neither are here, which means the items were probably not actually in stock, as advertised by the sellers....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Has anyone used a Rollei QBM to NEX adapter? There are a limited number available and a previous adapter I purchased for m4/3 was a little gimmicky in how it depressed the aperture pin to allow the aperture to be controlled. If anyone has one that works well I'd be interested in the "maker".

Thank you. These question may have been discussed ad infinitum but not in this thread so I'd appreciate someone to direct me to those discussions if they exist.

Search eBay and find the cheapest adapter listed (pixco). That one works with no worries. BTW, it also happens to be the best adapter I am using (for any lens mount) with a built in lens baffle and all!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek. Of the many adapters I've purchased, some of them actually look well made but the lenses don't fit well and the one I got for my Rollei SL35 lenses had a small ramp that was supposed to depress the aperture pin to close it down and it would catch the side of the pin and you could easily bend the pin if you forced it, not something I want to do to the Zeiss glass.
    I have one other adapter I bought for EOS that also looked very nicely made but the lens flange was a bit too thick and the lenses either wouldn't even mount or were so tight you worried they would either not come off or distort the bayonet tabs on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Ron, thank you for your input. I have went and ordered Novoflex adapter and hopefully that one will work just fine.
    Well, FedEx managed to lose my adapter and in the meantime both B&H and Adorama ran out of stock. Weather outside is beautiful, I few days off and number of Nikon lens I want to try, and no adapter that is not vignetting. Not fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Novoflex G/E works well and is built well. It is a little tight fitting on the lens side and the little locking pin does put a scratch on the rear mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    ... and the little locking pin does put a scratch on the rear mount.
    Could you please elaborate what you mean by this? Or if you have a picture to illustrate it?

Post Thanks / Like

The Kipon adaptor has arrived. Seems very nicely made, mounts to the camera nicely and the lens, although fairly tight on, its about where I'd want a new adaptor to be. I am sure a bit of use will see it bed in a touch.

Initial test shots look line and I am surprised at the CV 35 1.2 II already. The edges are quite respectable. Lots of testing tomorrow when there is light.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought an a7r. Since I don't have an adapter yet (just ordered the Metabones III), I borrowed one from the rental shop, a Metabones II, just so I could experiment with some of my EOS lenses. I've noticed when I turn the camera off with a lens attached the diaphragm stops all the way down and stays there. Even if I remove the lens the diaphragm is stopped down, stuck there. I assume this is just a fault of the one I have, or is this normal?

If I remove the lens with the camera still on, the diaphragm stays wide open.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kipon lens adaptor seems to have been a great buy. Not cheap at £50, but its beautifully made, the release latch the perfect size/resistance and it seems perfectly symmetrical. All images are evenly balanced from corner to corner with lenses I know to perform faultlessly on the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Kipon lens adaptor seems to have been a great buy. Not cheap at £50, but its beautifully made, the release latch the perfect size/resistance and it seems perfectly symmetrical. All images are evenly balanced from corner to corner with lenses I know to perform faultlessly on the Leica.
    I can second that. I've recently bought one of their T/S-adapters, and must say that it's a very nicely built piece of kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding a lens adapter on the Sony A7r
    The adapter for a rangefinder lens such as Voigtlander or Leica is probably smaller due to the shorter lens flange distance on these cameras.
    Some have suggested a SLR design adapter for Zeiss, Nikon etc lenses. This may be in part to the color fringe problem with short flange distance lenses.
    Do you feel the the longer larger SLR adapters make the lens too big for the camera?
    Thanks,
    Robert
    Am I correct, one must use "stop down " metering when using these or any adapters?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone know of a good M42 (screwmount) adaptor which is cheaper than the Novoflex? The ebay cheapy I have is throwing the right side out of focus even at f11 on all my screwmount lenses.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I received the Metabones III today. It operates the same way as the II I rented; When the camera goes to sleep or when I turn it off, the lens diaphragm stops down completely.

Does it with all my lenses. Is this normal or is something wrong with the camera?

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind. Went back to my dealer and found out all lenses do this on these cameras...

I'm obviously The New Guy to Sony.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I received the Metabones III today. It operates the same way as the II I rented; When the camera goes to sleep or when I turn it off, the lens diaphragm stops down completely.

Does it with all my lenses. Is this normal or is something wrong with the camera?

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got a Metabones 2 from a member for my Leica R what a nice adapter and fits nice and tight.

Nice thing is each lens has its own adapter . Makes shooting much quicker and far less rear lens caps of different brands. I just bought extra E rear lens caps
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I think the rationale for the closing aperture is to protect the sensor from being accidentally burnt by the sun, e.g. if the camera were facing towards the sun for extended periods of time without a lens cap on.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an A7 with the FE 55 1.8 today figured I'd do more reading up on adapters while waiting for the battery to charge.

I have 3 Zeiss Nikon mount lenses (32 f2, 50MP, 100MP), that I'd like to use on the A7 as well as a couple of Leica mount lenses (Zeiss 35 f2, Summicron 50 Rigid). I've read so many post about metabones vs novoflex vs Voitlander etc that my head is spinning.

Is there a general consensus as to the best adapter for Nikon F and best adapter for Leica mount?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cellison View Post
    I bought an A7 with the FE 55 1.8 today figured I'd do more reading up on adapters while waiting for the battery to charge.

I have 3 Zeiss Nikon mount lenses (32 f2, 50MP, 100MP), that I'd like to use on the A7 as well as a couple of Leica mount lenses (Zeiss 35 f2, Summicron 50 Rigid). I've read so many post about metabones vs novoflex vs Voitlander etc that my head is spinning.

Is there a general consensus as to the best adapter for Nikon F and best adapter for Leica mount?

I don't think there is general consensus.
    Having quite a few adapters myself, I prefer the Novoflex adapters with ASTAT-NEX.
    Novoflex has also an F-E, F-M, and M-E adapter.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody shooting with the jupiter-9 85mm f2.0, jupiter-8 50mm f2.0, voigtlander 40mm 1.4?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm all ears about that Jupiter 9 too...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone is looking for one (as I was), Amazon and Adorama now have the Novoflex Leica R to Sony NEX adapters in stock. B&H Photo is still back-ordered.

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i stopped in at adorama; they had one but sold it this morning;(

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious if anyone has tried one of these with Leica M lenses? I have only seen some data on Voigt or Zeiss M mount lenses
    Did anyone try the new Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter? It is an adapter for e-mount that allows you to focus way closes with leica m lenses...which frankly it's the only thing that kept me from investing in leica glass over the years.
    Last edited by mark1958; 29th December 2013 at 14:44.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anybody shooting with the jupiter-9 85mm f2.0, jupiter-8 50mm f2.0, voigtlander 40mm 1.4?
    I have 5 Jupiter M mount lenses, I will try them soon for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got a Hawks version 3 M to E mount helicoid adapter. Cannot compare to Voigtlander's, but the Hawks has an adjustable hard stop for infinity, which is handy....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post
    I recently got a Hawks version 3 M to E mount helicoid adapter. Cannot compare to Voigtlander's, but the Hawks has an adjustable hard stop for infinity, which is handy....
    Yeah I got mine and immediately adjusted it max the other way to correct infinity focus. Otherwise it's a very good adapter.