The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

V

Vivek

Guy, I already posted earlier on this thread see post#19 and the ensuing crap. I would not have repeated this but then you happen to be a super moderator. :D

Yes, AFAIK, that is the only game in town.

Don Libby

I can't seem to wrap my head around this - I've searched both here and other places and can't get an answer I understand. Is there a lens adaptor for Canon EOS lenses that will allow me to have full function of the glass with a A7R? Guess I'm really asking is can I use my canon lenses to their fullest on the sony? It looks like metabones has something, does anyone else (voltlander or novoflex).

V

Vivek

I can't seem to wrap my head around this - I've searched both here and other places and can't get an answer I understand. Is there a lens adaptor for Canon EOS lenses that will allow me to have full function of the glass with a A7R? Guess I'm really asking is can I use my canon lenses to their fullest on the sony? It looks like metabones has something, does anyone else (voltlander or novoflex).
AFAIK, Voigtlander & Novoflex (surprising since they were the ones who made the macro reversing adapter for EOS with full functions!) do NOT have them. It seems they lost their mojo.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

The Metabones Smart Adapter Mk III is the only adapter that enables IS, AF and electronic aperture control on Canon EF lenses (see supported lenses on Metabones' site). The adapter can be a bit temperamental, but it's worth it, IMO.

Annna T

The Metabones Smart Adapter Mk III is the only adapter that enables IS, AF and electronic aperture control on Canon EF lenses (see supported lenses on Metabones' site). The adapter can be a bit temperamental, but it's worth it, IMO.
MMmm : what do you mean by temperamental ? Is it not always working as intended ?

I thought I had read something about a Deotech adapter doing more or less the same thing at a lower price ?

I am having bad luck with the LEM/SonyE adapters.
Unable to find a Novoflex I bought first a Leinox which I could not safely mount/dismount without risking to damage the lens (too tight).
I found then a Fotodiox which I can mount/dismount more easily but I noticed that there is a substantial mismatch between the actual focus distance and the distance shown on the lens barrel (the latter being always much shorter). I guess the adapter is thinner than it should be.
Hopefully next week I will get a Voigtlander which seems to be available with one of my suppliers.

Ron Pfister

MMmm : what do you mean by temperamental ? Is it not always working as intended?
After detaching certain lenses and powering off the camera, the camera will lock up once being powered back on. The only way to recover from this is to remove the battery.

Also, when using tele-converters, it is important to follow the right order of attaching converter and lens in order to be able to set the mode of the adapter correctly and to prevent incorrect reporting of focal length and aperture in EXIF.

Neither of these quirks are deal-breakers in my view, as this adapter allows you to attach 24MP APS-C and now 36MP FF cameras to canon glass, neither of which is possible with Canon bodies.

I thought I had read something about a Deotech adapter doing more or less the same thing at a lower price ?
I've heard of these adapters, but have not used them. As a result, I can't comment on their functionality. Metabones and Conurus have collaborated for quite some time now, producing these adapters. In my experience, Metabones' customer service is good, but you have to send your adapter back to the factory in Hong Kong for firmware upgrades (which I think is utter nonsense). I guess it's a case of pick your poison, as usual… ;)

Annna T

After detaching certain lenses and powering off the camera, the camera will lock up once being powered back on. The only way to recover from this is to remove the battery.

Also, when using tele-converters, it is important to follow the right order of attaching converter and lens in order to be able to set the mode of the adapter correctly and to prevent incorrect reporting of focal length and aperture in EXIF.

Neither of these quirks are deal-breakers in my view, as this adapter allows you to attach 24MP APS-C and now 36MP FF cameras to canon glass, neither of which is possible with Canon bodies.

I've heard of these adapters, but have not used them. As a result, I can't comment on their functionality. Metabones and Conurus have collaborated for quite some time now, producing these adapters. In my experience, Metabones' customer service is good, but you have to send your adapter back to the factory in Hong Kong for firmware upgrades (which I think is utter nonsense). I guess it's a case of pick your poison, as usual… ;)
Many thanks for your feedback, I appreciate. Yes, I could live with that temperament too. Thinking to it again, I think that the Deotech AF adapter is rather for the Contax G lenses than for the Canon ones.

gurtch

I just ordered a Metabones FE to Nikon G adapter. Will it allow VC lenses to continue to cancel out vibrations when mounted on an A7R? I have a Nikon mount Tamron 24-70 f 2.8, which hardly ever comes off my D800e, it is that useful.
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

V

Vivek

I just ordered a Metabones FE to Nikon G adapter. Will it allow VC lenses to continue to cancel out vibrations when mounted on an A7R? I have a Nikon mount Tamron 24-70 f 2.8, which hardly ever comes off my D800e, it is that useful.
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ
No. No electronic contacts between the camera and the lens whatsoever.

sflxn

Does anyone know if the Novoflex have any electronic contacts for Nikon G lenses?

Also, I am curious to know what owners think about the quality difference between Novoflex and Metabones. I had a Speedbooster from Metabones briefly and was impressed by the quality in general.

Shac

Neither of mine do but they do allow the apertures of G lenses to be stopped down. Looking at the Novoflex website makes no mention of other Nikon-E adapters with contacts. I don't know of any that have the contacts for Nikon lenses, unfortunately.

I bought into Novoflex primarily for the rotating tripod collar

Rawfa

Is anyone using FF alpha glass? I was thinking about getting an old minolta 28mm and 50mm as the pentax lenses I have with the same fov have sharpness and vingetting issues (too bad because I really like how close these lenses can focus).

Ben Rubinstein

I'm also interested in a metabones equivelant for my canon lenses. AF not so important but aperture is. $399 is a lot of money for a (as reported above) tempremental adaptor.

V

Vivek

Is anyone using FF alpha glass? I was thinking about getting an old minolta 28mm and 50mm as the pentax lenses I have with the same fov have sharpness and vingetting issues (too bad because I really like how close these lenses can focus).
I picked up a cheap metal adapter for Minolta A (no electrical connections) as I have the 28 and 50mm lenses. Will let you know how it goes.