The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

V

Vivek

Certainly! Don't you? :bugeyes:

Seriously, I'm not going to take the chance, and will shim my adapters. One's done (±2 microns).
I would love to hear about your techniques and how you take care of the skew. It will be quite an accomplishment by itself if you have not added to the existing skew let alone fix it! The infinity distance being off by a few mm just does not matter to me at all as it is not a blind camera.

Ron Pfister

I don't see how I could have added to the skew if the two mount surfaces are more parallel now than they were originally. But let's leave it at that...

jlm

Workshop Member
putting this in perspective, since i measure in inches...and rounding off:
1mm = 0.040"
0.1mm = 100 microns = 0.004"
0.01mm =10 microns= 0.0004" (about a half thou, or 4 "tenths", to a machinist, and usually measurable with a common micrometer)
.001mm = 1 micron, or .00004"; about half a "tenth" not at all measurable`without advanced equipment

so if you are getting +/- 2 microns, you must be measuring to +/-0.00008"

most accurate micrometer I have will measure to .0001" and that is a bit worse than 2 microns, and it is fussy to get accurate results

Ron Pfister

My micrometer measures to 0.001mm, and I am consistently getting the same readings over repeated measurements. I'm quite sure the absolute values are slightly different from what the micrometer reads, but the shimming result is certainly a whole lot better than the original situation. I'm happy with it, that's what matters.

camping

Following this discussion...
Have you considered that each Leica lens has it's own focal length?

Leica FAQ — Lens white numbers

In the good old days each LSM lens had it's own focal length written on the inside in pencil. And to get a matched set you would get a thinner body with a longer lens... they would be shimmied to match. All your lenses would receive this treatment. Basically the current adapters should get the same treatment!

A big discussion, way back then, was whether the SM was better and more accurate and stay on axis than the bayonet mount. Leica claimed that the SM was more exact than the bayonet on the Contax. Of course Leica dropped this quality feature with the M series.
Also radial tires were like moving jelly according to US car dealers until the Michelin patent expired!

Paul

Shac

Ron - I hesitate to ask but have you photographed say a landscape shot at effective infinity and see if your pre-shimmed adapter caused any problem? The question is asked out of genuine interest even though I have not (yet) bought either of the A7s (but get more and more tempted each day)
Thanks
david

Ron Pfister

No need to hesitate :)

The majority of the images I have taken with the A7R were taken with this adapter (Voigtländer F Adapter). I noticed a very slight left-right skew, particularly with longer focal lengths, which is why I chose to re-shim the adapter (it ships shimmed, using washers of varying thickness around the screws that hold the rear mount). I have not yet had the chance to compare, but I have little doubt that the issue is resolved now. I'll report back once I've had a chance to test...

ShooterSteve

Unfortunately I don't see an EOS to Sony Nex mount on the Novoflex website. I've also found Novoflex the best adapters in the past for my Nikon to EOS and Leica R to EOS adapters. I guess Metabones is the only option at this point?

gurtch

Any one need an EOS to NEX adapter---free?

I bought the wrong adapter for my A7R. I meant to buy a Canon FD to NEX, but instead bought the EOS adapter. Brand new, never used. This is an inexpensive one, but appears to be nicely made. This is the 'dumb" one, you cannot set F stops. I want it to have a good home. If you want it to play with, first PM I get, I will put it in a padded bag and send it to you with my compliments. Merry Christmas.
Dave in NJ

V

Vivek

Re: Any one need an EOS to NEX adapter---free?

I bought the wrong adapter for my A7R. I meant to buy a Canon FD to NEX, but instead bought the EOS adapter. Brand new, never used. This is an inexpensive one, but appears to be nicely made. This is the 'dumb" one, you cannot set F stops. I want it to have a good home. If you want it to play with, first PM I get, I will put it in a padded bag and send it to you with my compliments. Merry Christmas.
Dave in NJ
It is still useful, Dave. Buy any of the adapters (M42 -> EOS, PK to EOS, Exakta to EOS, OM to EOS, Leica R to EOS, etc) and you can still use it.

gurtch

Vivek: thanks to you, I already have a use for it! I found on my shelf an ancient 100 mm Spiratone f4 Portragon, T mount. It is a single element fixed aperature soft focus lens, long since discontinued. I used to use Canon equipment, and on the lens was a T mount to EOS adapter! I can mount this to my EOS to NEX adapter, and try this funky lens on my A7r.
Thanks again....
Dave

Ron Pfister

Thanks for sharing this, Bill! Very interesting, indeed. Confirms me in my adapter shimming fetish... ;)

However, I wish they had used something like the Summicron-R 50 E55 instead of the Macro-Planar 50. The latter is notorious for weak corners.

darrellc

I see that cameraquest shows the voigtlander close focus adapter ($309) is in stock now. Has anyone tried one on the A7/A7R? I used to have Hawk's for the Nex 7 and would like to have a helicoid adapter for the A7.