Site Sponsors

Thread: My A7 story :D

Post Thanks / Like

My A7 story :D

So I JUST got my A7 and I didn't have much time to mess with it too much because it's night here in Rio de Janeiro and it's pouring outside.

But before I go into my first impressions I'll contextualize my needs quickly.
    I have to say that I was always a ONE camera kind of guys. I don't do gigs where I HAVE to have a backup, and photography is not where I earn my living...so I always felt it was kind of unnecessary to have a bunch of cameras.

That being said, I was extremely happy with my NEX-7...until I started shooting video again. It does shoot great video, but it has issues with overheating and poor audio even with external mics (for my needs). SO, I ended up getting a Canon 6D for video.

When Sony announced the A7/A7R I thought all my problems would be solved (not to mention that I'm always an early adopter of new technology). So I sold my NEX-7, all my Canon primes and I'm currently trying to sell my Canon 6D.

Move to today, UPS drops me this nice little package and I cannot wait to start testing my new toy. So, here are my first thoughts:

The good
    - I was amazed at how little it was (I really thought it was going to be substantially bigger than the NEX-7).
    - I've tested the audio input and audio control with an external mic and it's great.
    - Lots of manual controls and customizable buttons
    - Everything feels solid
    - The new menus are much better than the usual Sony menus
    - It feels fast

The bad
    - Phase AF has like 101 AF points and it's supposed to be amazing, but Sony only updated a couple of their lenses to support it (this one isn't really about the camera, but ok)
    - The magnify focus assist needs 2 clicks to magnify (it needed one click on the NEX7)
    - I just HATE the in camera battery charging (I've already ordered an "external" charger)
    - The flaps for the inputs feel extremely fragile
    - The ultra super micro HDMI output is ridiculous. I use an external hdmi monitor to shoot video and now I'm going to try to find one more adapter for my collection (to be honest I don't even know if there are such adapters since this is the first time I've seen such a small HDMI ouput).
    - I set the video format to NTSC so I can shoot 24p and EVERYTIME I turn on the camera I get a "Running on NTSC" message, which I've read is normal on the Sony website (this is just insane!)
    - I'm not sure if this should be here, but I was kind of said that I won't be able to use any of the smaller e-mount APS-C lenses.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to give it a proper test.
    www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My A7 story :D

Very quick tests with a Pentax adapter, a 35mm 1.9 and an 85mm 2.0.

www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post

The bad
    - I just HATE the in camera battery charging (I've already ordered an "external" charger)

- The ultra super micro HDMI output is ridiculous. I use an external hdmi monitor to shoot video and now I'm going to try to find one more adapter for my collection (to be honest I don't even know if there are such adapters since this is the first time I've seen such a small HDMI ouput).
    Congrats, Rafa!

On the first, your NEX batteries and the charger are the same for the A7/7R. You do not need an additional charger! Huge difference between Sony and Panasonic!

I agree on the HDMI port. I am disappointed with the micro D port.

The rest are trivial and you get used to it.

Let me tell you one thing, if you try the A7R, you will never ever touch a NEX!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Vivek.
    I don't have my NEX charger as I've sold it with the NEX-7. I've already orded one.
    I have to say that I was really torn about getting the A7 or the A7R. I ended up going with the A7 because of Phase Detect (which ended up being useless), because it was supposed to be better for video, and because it's us$600 cheaper than the A7R (given the difference in specs it felt like a BIG value difference for me). But now that I think about it, I would still be able to shoot with my APS-C lenses with good results when necessary (nature, etc). I've tested very briefly the APS-C mode on the A7 (10mp) and it leaves a bit to be desired (forget about high iso).

Post Thanks / Like

Is there no way to map magnification to a single button press?
    Ben
    Perth, Australia

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the button near the evf was magnify? Awaiting for more shots.

Post Thanks / Like

You can assign the function to whichever button you wish but you will still have to click twice to get the magnification.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tested very briefly the APS-C mode on the A7 (10mp) and it leaves a bit to be desired (forget about high iso).

Please tell us more about this, and which NEX lenses (I'm assuming) you tried ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post

Please tell us more about this, and which NEX lenses (I'm assuming) you tried ...
    I think that as long as you don't need high iso you can use APS-C e-mount lenses on the A7. You will get 10mp pictures, so there no room for cropping. I didn't do much testing so don't take my word as the law. I took a couple of shots with the 16mm pancake, the tamron 18-200mm, the 50mm 1.8 and the slr magic 23mm (which ALMOST fills the entire frame when shooting full frame). The weather is really bad and I'm kind of tied up with pending matters but I'll try to post some more conclusive tests.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what settings are people using for:
    - electronic first curtain shutter
    - high iso noise reduction

Post Thanks / Like

Wayyyy too little time to test my new baby. I'm dreaming about the weekend already.

Here is another with a pentax 85mm f2.0

www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some quick stuff on my way to the my mother in laws'

Pentax 50m 1.4...veeery hard to focus at 1.4

www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With a 28mm 2.8 and a 85mm 2.0

3 (iso 3200)

www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rafael,

I like a lot of this last set of photos, but the rendering seems a little too harsh to my eye. Is that in-camera rendering, or something you are doing in post-process?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Godfrey. It's not in-camera. My treatment is always borderline harsh...a very subtle line between just the look I'm looking for and going too far. I can only tell when you guys let me know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some quick stuff on my way to the my mother in laws'

Pentax 50m 1.4...veeery hard to focus at 1.4
    Why so hard? Am hoping to use mine on my A7r when it arrives.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Because I shoot jpeg with everything tuned down to minimum contrast so I can get the look I actually want on post and because FF is much less unforgiving with focus wide open than APS-C. I should also have mentioned that I was referring to moving objects.
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some more complaints that could VERY easily be fixed via firmware:
    - There is no setting for minimum and maximum ISO or shutter, while in auto.
    - Yesterday I've tested the camera in AUTO mode to try to understand how it reacts in different conditions and I've notice the picture profile is then turned off. This is a shame because I shoot jpeg NEUTRAL with all settings at -3 to get the most latitude possible so I can get the look I want on post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7 vs NEX-3F size comparison

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin, who is a yoga teacher, asked me to make some portraits for her website. I've used a Pentax 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 2.0.

Due to her line of work I'm guessing she will go with color, but I thought I'd send her bw too.

www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love the B&W conversions! Excellent - thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice pics, but you SHOULD clean up the skin a tiny bit or do less sharpening.
    For example on the BW picture before the last BW pic she looks really unfortunate.
    Not so on the color one.

Post Thanks / Like

fotoingo

You might be missing the point she is a yoga teacher.

Yoga teaches you to look in the inside not the outside.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My cousin, who is a yoga teacher, asked me to make some portraits for her website. I've used a Pentax 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 2.0.

Due to her line of work I'm guessing she will go with color, but I thought I'd send her bw too.
    You have got some good portraits of an energic woman. I prefer the ones where she wears the flowers on her head. For the intended use, I find the B&W versions way too contrasty, enhancing all her skin imperfections. She also got an unpleasant shiny face in the conversion.

For the framing, I prefer the ones where you kept a little bit of shoulders. I think that the first colored version us my favorite of the series. I'm sure she will be happy with the colored version..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am with Ingo. The man who popularized yoga to the west is still alive and even at age 94 looks pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by camping View Post
    fotoingo

You might be missing the point she is a yoga teacher.

Yoga teaches you to look in the inside not the outside.

Paul
    So it is better to use an unfortunate picture instead of a good one ?
    Just to show that the outside doesn´t matter?
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    For the intended use, I find the B&W versions way too contrasty, enhancing all her skin imperfections. She also got an unpleasant shiny face in the conversion.
    Thats what I said / meant to say.

The pictures otherwise are fine :-)

--

@Vivek
    Thx.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

She just called to thank me. She absolutely loved the photos. She will use the color ones for the yoga website and some bw ones for her bio website.
    www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The second BW-conversion is really beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time a Prince was an aspiring photographer, and he had a new Hasselblad, the best that money could buy. The Princess was coming to have her photograph taken and he set the modelling lights and flash and loaded a very sharp film so people could see how good his new Hasselblad was, and they would gasp in awe. The day dawned and the Princess and her entourage arrived, and on time, for the Princess liked perfection in all things.

Days passed, the lab delivered the photographs and the photographer was 'over the moon'. His new Hasselblad was wonderful, the lens was sharp, and he knew the people would be in awe and rush to his studio, making him rich enough to propose marriage to the Princess in the Kingdom next door. So running round to the Palace he went to meet the Queen (his stepmother for all sorts of complicated reasons) who, acting as any good mother, would confer royal approval on any new snaps of the Princess. But on seeing the pictures the Queen roared and stomped about, withering the leaves on the trees, and turning the air blue. "Photographer" she said, "you are employed to show the perfection of the Princess, NOT to show the perfection of your new Hasselblad! (for the news had spread) ". "Any fool knows to use a Softar filter on a Royal portrait!" she said. Upon which she turned him into a frog, which many in the Kingdom thought well deserved. Henceforth a Royal Proclamation was delivered to all subjects upon pain of death, and it simply read "Do not inflict your new camera on loved ones, especially a Princess, until you have got out of your system the desire to display its awesomeness, its not big and its not clever".

(this is an ancient tale, précised from a little known book of Swedish faerie tales 'When the Frog Croaked'. But modern scholars see similarities with many of todays human/frog transformations).

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is definitely not the best camera money can buy and not by far the sharpest lenses...but the "princess" did love the photos
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Improvised shot on location with a Sony A7, a pentax 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 2.0
    The audio was captured live with a rode videomic pro.

https://vimeo.com/81553093 (I don't know how to embed...I tried the same code on another website and it worked)
    www.rafael-lopes.com