The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/r users, Eye Focus??

mdg137

I've had my A7r in hand for a few days now, finally have it set up properly-- but I have been completely unable to figure out how to activate the eye focus feature--

Anyone using/ testing this? What combination of settings is necessary?

mdg137

No Sony lens yet, using canon EF and metabones smart adapter--
It didn't even occur to me it would be lens dependent.. Shortsighted.

GrahamB

The "eye focus" has been a feature on Sony alpha mount bodies for the last 8 years or more. Activated by the sensor above the EVF on the a7's, it engages the autofocus as one brings the camera to eye. One would accomplish the same thing by half-pressing the shutter button as one brings the camera to the eye.

I've disabled eye start in the menu for all my camera bodies. I've never understood the point of engaging autofocus, until one has the camera to eye, and pointed at what one wants to have in focus.

In addition, the sensor often activates if one leaves the camera on, and suspended from a shoulder or neck, or left in the case. It can quickly deplete a battery, and in the a7's case, the battery reservoir isn't large to begin with.

Graham

mdg137

The "eye focus" has been a feature on Sony alpha mount bodies for the last 8 years or more. Activated by the sensor above the EVF on the a7's, it engages the autofocus as one brings the camera to eye. One would accomplish the same thing by half-pressing the shutter button as one brings the camera to the eye.

I've disabled eye start in the menu for all my camera bodies. I've never understood the point of engaging autofocus, until one has the camera to eye, and pointed at what one wants to have in focus.

In addition, the sensor often activates if one leaves the camera on, and suspended from a shoulder or neck, or left in the case. It can quickly deplete a battery, and in the a7's case, the battery reservoir isn't large to begin with.

Graham
Not referring to eye start. The A7 and A7r have a feature similar to face detection, but that seeks out the eye specifically, and places focus there.

I just came back from a demo-days meeting with a sony rep. He couldnt figure out how to activate it either, even with a sony lens mounted....

GrahamB

I was aware eye focus was a new feature of the a7's. I don't know why I assumed eye start was the subject. :)

Graham

mdg137

Made some headway, face detection is not necessary-
It seems, Eye focus is engaged when assigned to a specific button, and that button is pressed- it seems to override all the other focus settings.

One the plus side, it does work with canon EF lenses and the metabones adapter!

Gbealnz

Can we re-visit this please?
I like the concept of the camera finding the subjects eye, and focusing on that, it appeals to the lazy in me.
I have temporarily assigned C1 as the button to push.
Is it as simple as that? Line a face up, push C1, and the camera will automatically detect the eye, and focus on it?
Obviously won't AF with the manual focus lenses I have though (Canon 50/1.2 for example).
Is it a one push and after the image is taken it reverts to "AF Usual"?
Gary

photolab

Made some headway, face detection is not necessary-
It seems, Eye focus is engaged when assigned to a specific button, and that button is pressed- it seems to override all the other focus settings.

One the plus side, it does work with canon EF lenses and the metabones adapter!
I am still confused. I want eye focus to work too. What is the specific button EF is engaged by? So you are saying you turn face detection off. I did that. But which button do I activate EF with? I have a Sony lens 35mm.

Also where in the world is the C1 button? I see C2 and C3 but not C1. Thanks. I have only used Leica's. For me there is a strong learning curve to learn this type of camera. I do love it though. :)

neelin

>Also where in the world is the C1 button? I see C2 and C3 but not C1.

You're kidding right? Top deck just right of the shutter release with the "c1" on top of it ;0

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This could be a very good cause for shutter lag. I turn all this stuff off. Damnit I'm in control here not the bloody camera. LOL

I'm just a old dog.