Site Sponsors

Thread: A7/r users, Eye Focus??

Post Thanks / Like

A7/r users, Eye Focus??

I've had my A7r in hand for a few days now, finally have it set up properly-- but I have been completely unable to figure out how to activate the eye focus feature--

Anyone using/ testing this? What combination of settings is necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7/r users, Eye Focus??

Do you have a Sony af lens?

Post Thanks / Like

No Sony lens yet, using canon EF and metabones smart adapter--
    It didn't even occur to me it would be lens dependent.. Shortsighted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdg137 View Post
    No Sony lens yet, using canon EF and metabones smart adapter--
    It didn't even occur to me it would be lens dependent.. Shortsighted.
    It may not be lens dependent. Is face tracking turned on?

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

The "eye focus" has been a feature on Sony alpha mount bodies for the last 8 years or more. Activated by the sensor above the EVF on the a7's, it engages the autofocus as one brings the camera to eye. One would accomplish the same thing by half-pressing the shutter button as one brings the camera to the eye.

I've disabled eye start in the menu for all my camera bodies. I've never understood the point of engaging autofocus, until one has the camera to eye, and pointed at what one wants to have in focus.

In addition, the sensor often activates if one leaves the camera on, and suspended from a shoulder or neck, or left in the case. It can quickly deplete a battery, and in the a7's case, the battery reservoir isn't large to begin with.

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    The "eye focus" has been a feature on Sony alpha mount bodies for the last 8 years or more. Activated by the sensor above the EVF on the a7's, it engages the autofocus as one brings the camera to eye. One would accomplish the same thing by half-pressing the shutter button as one brings the camera to the eye.

I've disabled eye start in the menu for all my camera bodies. I've never understood the point of engaging autofocus, until one has the camera to eye, and pointed at what one wants to have in focus.

In addition, the sensor often activates if one leaves the camera on, and suspended from a shoulder or neck, or left in the case. It can quickly deplete a battery, and in the a7's case, the battery reservoir isn't large to begin with.

Graham
    Not referring to eye start. The A7 and A7r have a feature similar to face detection, but that seeks out the eye specifically, and places focus there.

I just came back from a demo-days meeting with a sony rep. He couldnt figure out how to activate it either, even with a sony lens mounted....

Post Thanks / Like

see this video: Sony A7, A7R Eye Auto Focus Tests | SLRHQ

Ive also tried it with Canon EF lenses on the metabones smart adapter, work like a charm.

Well done Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

I was aware eye focus was a new feature of the a7's. I don't know why I assumed eye start was the subject. :-)

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Made some headway, face detection is not necessary-
    It seems, Eye focus is engaged when assigned to a specific button, and that button is pressed- it seems to override all the other focus settings.

One the plus side, it does work with canon EF lenses and the metabones adapter!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I'm really curious to se if/how well it will work with the eyes of birds...

Post Thanks / Like

Can we re-visit this please?
    I like the concept of the camera finding the subjects eye, and focusing on that, it appeals to the lazy in me.
    I have temporarily assigned C1 as the button to push.
    Is it as simple as that? Line a face up, push C1, and the camera will automatically detect the eye, and focus on it?
    Obviously won't AF with the manual focus lenses I have though (Canon 50/1.2 for example).
    Is it a one push and after the image is taken it reverts to "AF Usual"?
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdg137 View Post
    Made some headway, face detection is not necessary-
    It seems, Eye focus is engaged when assigned to a specific button, and that button is pressed- it seems to override all the other focus settings.

One the plus side, it does work with canon EF lenses and the metabones adapter!
    I am still confused. I want eye focus to work too. What is the specific button EF is engaged by? So you are saying you turn face detection off. I did that. But which button do I activate EF with? I have a Sony lens 35mm.

Also where in the world is the C1 button? I see C2 and C3 but not C1. Thanks. I have only used Leica's. For me there is a strong learning curve to learn this type of camera. I do love it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>Also where in the world is the C1 button? I see C2 and C3 but not C1.

You're kidding right? Top deck just right of the shutter release with the "c1" on top of it ;0

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This could be a very good cause for shutter lag. I turn all this stuff off. Damnit I'm in control here not the bloody camera. LOL

I'm just a old dog.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post