Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: A7r - and why I'm not keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7r - and why I'm not keeping it.

OK, I guess you guys think one must buy an L bracket for everything in the Sony world. You must own or work for RRS. Even the RRS L bracket for the a7r will not work with the vertical grip attached.

Is it too much to ask for a 15cent tripod mount installed on the vertical grip. I am not a Sony guy so I guess those of you that are, think that is all right. Not me and I do not smoke. I cannot point out any vertical grips since I have never looked into vertical grips before this and only looked at this grip because the batteries would not last long for my day trips and having the grip sounded more practical than having to remove an L bracket to get to the battery compartment. So much for that.

Post Thanks / Like

RRS usually makes two different L-plates for semi-pro DSLRS: one for the camera only, one for camera+vertical grip. AFAIK, they have not announced any plans to make the latter for the A7/A7R, but I may be wrong. Judging from the image of the RRS L-plate available for pre-order, it is possible to open the battery door with the plate attached.

Edit: I just noticed that RRS has updated the product page since I last looked, and there are plenty of images of how it looks and what it does. See here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...Set&type=3&eq=

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ron

I really like the grip+ L bracket they make for the RX-1. Actually it was my liking the RX-1 images that got me thinking about and acquiring the a7r plus all the "other" lenses able to be adapted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure what to think of the two-part sliding design. I would have preferred a bolted-on L-bracket. The solution they offer looks like it may potentially be less stiff, and is surely heavier. Otherwise, I quite like it...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i've been making grips with L-plates for a variety of cameras and am going to take a look at making one for the A7/R.
    the problem with many cameras is that they put the usb and shutter cable connectors right where the L-plate goes. putting openings in the L-plate works, as long as you don't mount the camera in portrait mode, as the tripod mount would block the connectors anyway.

the RRS solution addresses this by placing the L plate outboard, and then allowing it to move back when not in use. seems like overkill to me
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree! If you make a simple, sturdy yet light-weight L-plate without bells and whistles, I'm likely a taker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    OK, I guess you guys think one must buy an L bracket for everything in the Sony world. You must own or work for RRS. Even the RRS L bracket for the a7r will not work with the vertical grip attached.

Is it too much to ask for a 15cent tripod mount installed on the vertical grip. I am not a Sony guy so I guess those of you that are, think that is all right. Not me and I do not smoke. I cannot point out any vertical grips since I have never looked into vertical grips before this and only looked at this grip because the batteries would not last long for my day trips and having the grip sounded more practical than having to remove an L bracket to get to the battery compartment. So much for that.
    The tripod socket on a camera or vertical grip is centered on the lens axis, to prevent parallax error. That's why one doesn't see a 2nd tripod socket on vertical grips.

If one want's to use a vertical grip, and tripod mount the camera in portrait mode, one uses an L plate with a leg that extends up to the camera body and allows one to maintain the camera lens over the pivot point of the tripod.

If one doesn't care to employ an L plate, mounting the camera from the bottom and positioning the tripod head at a 90 degree angle would be just as optically efficient as a 2nd tripod socket.

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

I'm returning my A7 due to an electrical problem. Moving the camera in certain directions shuts off the LCD.

I'm actually relieved to have a good excuse to send it back. I've been shooting with it for a week, and yesterday spent the day with my Nex 7, just to compare. The A7 certainly offers an order of magnitude better file quality. The files are richer and deeper by comparison. The BW tonality is wonderful. Obviously noise performance is better, although the loss of detail at 3200 is surprising and disappointing.

But there are several things I prefer about the Nex 7, especially the form factor, size and weight. It's such a nimble camera for street shooting, in particular for one-handed work. And I definitely prefer the Nex EVF placement.

It's been a good lesson for me in matching cameras to needs. I see now that the a7/R is really not a Nex upgrade. It's a new system altogether. I think I'll wait and see Sony's APS-C replacement. If they offer a boost in file quality and ISO performance, but keep the same form factor, I think that would work better for me. Plus, an A7 system comparable to my Nex system would run in the $4K range. The file quality is so compelling that I may reconsider, but at the moment I'm not seeing the value there, at least for me.

John

One from yesterday with the Nex 7. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

web site | tumblr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm returning my A7 due to an electrical problem. Moving the camera in certain directions shuts off the LCD.
    John, just a thought: could the EVF activation sensor be the cause of the LCD shutting off? It may not be an electrical fault but may merely be camera switching to the EVF. The sensor is far too sensitive, IMO, and this happens to me quite often accidentally.

Regarding the NEX-7, I fully agree that it's an entirely different beast - far more nimble and compact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    John, just a thought: could the EVF activation sensor be the cause of the LCD shutting off? It may not be an electrical fault but may merely be camera switching to the EVF. The sensor is far too sensitive, IMO, and this happens to me quite often accidentally.

Regarding the NEX-7, I fully agree that it's an entirely different beast - far more nimble and compact.
    No, it's not that. The EVF eye piece is well clear of face and hands. In particular when I rotate it on the horizontal axis the LCD goes off.

Incidentally, EVF activation is also improved over the Nex, which has that terrible lag.

John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post