Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Vivek!

WOW! Between $12 and $13, including shipping from China, Thailand, or Philippines. Amazing!
    Here is how they are ripping us off in some countries : the cheapest I can find is 24.95$. Aka the cheaper ones are not shown.

But then under the description of the object stands a line with the mention : "People who viewed this item also viewed ..." where the same item was shown, but only costing 12.8$ So I clicked on it hoping to buy one of the cheapest, but then I got the following message :

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

They are segmenting the market and some countries have to pay more than others for the exact same item.

Well still I can buy one if I want and the price isn't out of order compared to RRS models. But I wanted to buy a techart adapter for the Contax G lenses and there is noway to get one : I followed a link from Deotech website to Ebay, but there I only got that same blocked access. And there is noway for me to buy one of theses adapters.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek!

WOW! Between $12 and $13, including shipping from China, Thailand, or Philippines. Amazing!
    It is cheaper than a 3rd party, plastic hotshoe cover for certain brand cameras!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Here is how they are ripping us off in some countries : the cheapest I can find is 24.95$. Aka the cheaper ones are not shown.
    Instead of posting these repeated, lengthy discourses, why not just log into ebay.com (and not ebay.XX) and buy it if you are serious about buying it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Instead of posting these repeated, lengthy discourses, why not just log into ebay.com (and not ebay.XX) and buy it if you are serious about buying it?
    I was logged on ebay.com, not on any others ebay.xx

Even the dealer from whom I got the 2X more expensive L plate, blocks me from viewing about half of his assortment. For instance I looked for the same kind of plate for the E-M5 and I was blocked. About half the items on which I cliked in his Ebay store were blocked. If I make a search for LB and Olmpus, I can see that he has three offering for Olympus cameras, but all are blocked. However I can get to the Sony LB plates..

Here is a link which is blocked for me. I can't understand why it is blocked, what is the logic behind it. Can you telle me the list of the countries where the seller accept to ship this item :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Error?item=1...36104&errid=17 this is what I get when I click on the following link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-L-Vertic...item2c94e41328

May be that depends upon which countries the seller has chosen for where he is willing to ship ? Depending on whether he includes Europe or the EU I may not be able to see the items ?

PLease can someone tell me whether Switzerland is excluded from the list of countries where this item sells ?

Post Thanks / Like

On the link you provided, i was able to choose Switzerland and shipping was free.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    On the link you provided, i was able to choose Switzerland and shipping was free.
    Joe
    Many thanks for your feedback. this is very helpful. So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country. I can't even get to see those blocked items. I land to an error page saying the access has been blocked. It is now occuring to about half of the product found on ebay.

I wonder whether the reason behind that may be that they are trying to block access to unauthorised copies of valued brand items, like for instance fake Rolex Swisswatches or Hermes stuff.

If that is the case then their filters are terribly damaging. But I could see the Swiss watches manufacturers pressuring Ebay for things like that. Then may be they put a seller on a black list when one of his items was caught at the custom.. but still it doesn't make much sense, since when looking a a seller's Ebay shop depending how I make my research I can get a listing of all the items he is selling, but then among those items, about half of them get a blocked access. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your feedback. this is very helpful. So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country. I can't even get to see those blocked items. I land to an error page saying the access has been blocked. It is now occuring to about half of the product found on ebay.

I wonder whether the reason behind that may be that they are trying to block access to unauthorised copies of valued brand items, like for instance fake Rolex Swisswatches or Hermes stuff.

If that is the case then their filters are terribly damaging. But I could see the Swiss watches manufacturers pressuring Ebay for things like that. Then may be they put a seller on a black list when one of his items was caught at the custom.. but still it doesn't make much sense, since when looking a a seller's Ebay shop depending how I make my research I can get a listing of all the items he is selling, but then among those items, about half of them get a blocked access. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif
    Until recently I was mostly neutral on eBay but now I'm pretty anti-eBay. It's a decent marketplace for long standing businesses and maybe even small businesses but the'r fragmented selling policies are pretty antiquated. I've recently deleted all things eBay from all of my devices (except PayPal.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country.
    The culprit isn't the company that hosts the sellers but it has everything to do with the local laws (as I mentioned earlier).

For example, items from a certain era from Germany are forbidden for sale on ebay.de but no such restriction on ebay.nl or ebay.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The culprit isn't the company that hosts the sellers but it has everything to do with the local laws (as I mentioned earlier).

For example, items from a certain era from Germany are forbidden for sale on ebay.de but no such restriction on ebay.nl or ebay.com
    I bet that in Germany they are blocked not only on Ebay.de, but also if they visit Ebay.nl.
    What irks me is that the filters don't make any sense. For instance concerning the L plate, I wasn't able to see and buy the cheapest alternative, but I was able to buy one costing twice as much. However the same dealer from whom I got the Sony L bracked was advertising for an E-M5 and E-M1 bracket on the very page where I got the A7r bracket, but when I wanted to check those plates for Olympus, I was blocked access too.

May be that Olympus was complaining about this ? who knows, but anyway, these filters don't make any sense.

BTW, this remembered me of the Contax G smart adapter and to day there were two dealers listing it... One at 249$ was blocked, but at least I could get one at 265$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Until recently I was mostly neutral on eBay but now I'm pretty anti-eBay. It's a decent marketplace for long standing businesses and maybe even small businesses but the'r fragmented selling policies are pretty antiquated. I've recently deleted all things eBay from all of my devices (except PayPal.)
    Well those practices aren't so antiquated, they were introduced not so long ago, may be one year ago. But of late, they are becoming more invasive. Apparently, only big corporations are entitled to benefit from globalization, not the pedestrian consummers.

I buy important stuff from online dealers in my country too. But for small stuff, like remote controllers, hoods, L bracket, batteries, etc., I prefer Ebay. Where I live these small accessories are sold at prohibitive prices (like 5 times more than what I'd pay to Asian Ebay dealers).

Before ordering an item from Ebay in China, etc., I always ask me whether I'd be sorry to loose that item or not. If not I buy if yes, I don't.

The most expensive item I've bought online was the Panasonic 14mm Pancake lens. I got it for about 120$ while it would have costed me around 500$ here. Compared to the possible loss of 120$, the sparing was great enough to take the plunge and the loss won't have been prohibitively high. In the end all went well in that case.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Taos, NM

A7R + APO-Extender-R 1.4x + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Turkey Vultures are also called Buzzards in the USA.

To set the stage for the 5:53 Buzzards Roost Video below, here is an image of the environment.

The following is a link to the unedited video - shot with Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH. - same as the image at 28mm, f/5.6 and ISO 1600.

http://videos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-b...il/master.m3u8
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Roost Area

M9 + WATE

Landing Approach

A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmm, they're certainly not the prettiest birds around ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

Kind regards.

I find them quite frightening to be honest. But I love the preceeding series where they are just silhouettes. Black against white.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I've always admired and was fascinated by the Birds of Carrion (Vultures, Ravens, and the like.) They're sort of like "angels of death."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

Kind regards.
    Thanks Bart.
    Certainly true, but these turkey vultures, also called buzzards, are magnificent aerial acrobats.
    It's a lot of fun watching them to soar to tremendous heights.
    They are also a federally protected species.

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bart.
    Certainly true, but these turkey vultures, also called buzzards, are magnificent aerial acrobats.
    It's a lot of fun watching them to soar to tremendous heights.
    They are also a federally protected species.
    Ah! Buzzards are something quite different over here - a standard bird of prey much given to sitting on telegraph poles and making rather wimpy squeaking noises.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ah! Buzzards are something quite different over here - a standard bird of prey much given to sitting on telegraph poles and making rather wimpy squeaking noises.
    Hey - I've always thought of a BUZZard as a person or thing making a BUZZing noise (like my EM1's IBIS) , so there you go ...

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks Jono. That's correct. In Europe Bussard is used for a different kind of bird.
    But over here, especially in Texas, Bussard is used for the Turkey Vulture.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Vultures are ugly but are venerables. They don't harm people, nothing to be scare of.
    They are cleaners!
    www.achdigital.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono. That's correct. In Europe Bussard is used for a different kind of bird.
    But over here, especially in Texas, Bussard is used for the Turkey Vulture.
    Yeah and I believe the North and South American Vultures are completely different than the European and African sort.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Turkey vulture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
    "The turkey vulture (Cathartes aura), also known in some North American regions as the turkey buzzard (or just buzzard), and in some areas of the Caribbean as the John crow or carrion crow,[2] is a vulture that is the most widespread of the New World vultures.[3] One of three species in the genus Cathartes of the family Cathartidae, the turkey vulture ranges from southern Canada to the southernmost tip of South America. It inhabits a variety of open and semi-open areas, including subtropical forests, shrublands, pastures, and deserts.[1]"
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I find this dude in comparison actually quite handsome ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Evening Mood at Bandelier National Monument

E-M5 II + 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, shot by my daughter

Sony A7R + Leica 28-90/2.8-4.5 Vario
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vultures are revered in Tibetan Buddhism, most people who die of natural causes are recycled in sky burials. Their corpses' flesh is mashed up and mixed with grain and fed to Tibetan Griffon (Himalayan Vultures). Non-Tibetans are banned from viewing sky burials these days. I've seen 40-50 of them waiting for the dead to be brought out for their next feed.

These Griffon and the Lammergeier live near the very top of the range, and are probably the highest flying birds. I saw two Griffons from 5m a few years back - they are the size of a large goat, and weigh up to 25 pounds, not a sight you forget. The driver drove too close, so no photos, they took off like a pair of C-5s. Knorp's bird is indeed a beauty, the 'beards' look great.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bandelier Spring Walk with Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ephemeral White Cloud!

Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H

Does the R 28-90 work on the a7r at all zoom FL? If so I did not realize there was a Leica lens that worked on the a7r with a 28mm FL.

Bravo.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually there are a couple. All the Leica R glass will work. They have a outstanding 28 2.8 R elmarit.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    K-H

Does the R 28-90 work on the a7r at all zoom FL? If so I did not realize there was a Leica lens that worked on the a7r with a 28mm FL.

Bravo.

Hi Lou,

Thanks, yes it does. In fact most of the images in my two preceeding posts were taken at 28 mm. Of course the deer shot was at 90 mm.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

K-H

Bravo.
    In general just about all SLR lenses that I can think of work very well as they were intended/designed. Some people are just adverse to the size and weight of some SLR lenses. I actually used Carl Zeiss Contax Yashica SLR lenses on my A7/A7R almost exclusively on the long end until the last six months when I sold everything except the CZ C/Y 100/2 Planar because it's just a keeper of a lens by most standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lou,

Thanks, yes it does. In fact most of the images in my two preceeding posts were taken at 28 mm. Of course the deer shot was at 90 mm.
    Well, in that case I am pulling my 28-90 of the WS area and maybe the WATE too. Now I just need a Sony body. Might as well wait to see what is announced soon.

Maybe I could have a small 50MP to go with my large 50MP.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That would make for a good combo. Even the A7II seems like it was optimized over the A7 from the shots I've seen. Looking forward to the A7RII/A9 or whatever comes next...

I've been on a 1:1 square ratio kick lately and I love the fact that I can still get up to 2/3 of the max resolution with cropping a large megapixel camera. A 50mp camera with a 3:2 ratio will still yield a ~33mp square shot. That's great for portraits or candids.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the best 28mm lens I've used on the Sony A7 is the Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI. Sharp edge to edge from wide open on. No smearing, no darkening, superb rendering—one of the very nicest 28mm lenses I've used.

A nice example of this lens is now part of my "permanent" Nikon collection.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, in that case I am pulling my 28-90 of the WS area and maybe the WATE too. Now I just need a Sony body. Might as well wait to see what is announced soon.

Maybe I could have a small 50MP to go with my large 50MP.

Hi Lou,

There is no way I would ever sell my WATE 16-18-21/4 or the Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
    I already have quite bit of experience with the WATE on Leica M9 and Sony A7R and like a lot the results.
    Also, I am slowly discovering the magic of the A7R and Vario-Elmarit-R combination.
    Following are some images from today.

Hanging On

City on the Hill

Meditation Point

Pointing Up!

Don't you love the Land of Enchantment?

BTW, the character of these images reminds me a lot of what I get with my M9 and Rigid Summicron from 1956.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 24th April 2015 at 23:31.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For comparison here are some example shots from the M9 and Rigid Summicron.

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I found my lens for these kinds of shots!

Shot with A7R, lens wide open, diffraction limited.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Three is a Crowd! On one Branch that is!

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7R + Leica APO-R 280/4.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Typically May brings Blue Skies, White Clouds, and Snowy Mountain Tops!

And the view from that house at the White Rock Rio Grande Canyon Rim.

I really like the way this lens draws - painterly IMHO!
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

Kodachrome SP UTAH

Cheers, Monty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Monty. Very nice, great composition and colors!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun to watch what teen boys will do for teen girls....

Cheers, Monty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, Monty

Post Thanks / Like