The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

k-hawinkler

A7R + Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 • Capture One Pro 8.2.2

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral • 024 Full Contrast and Structure

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral • 024 Full Contrast and Structure • 024 Full Contrast and Structure

scho

k-hawinkler

Well, as I see it it's a combination of requirements for video and stills.
42 is the answer, also for the universe. Works for me. :)

iiiNelson

Just my biased still photographer perspective, but I really do not like to see video requirements drive development of high res mirrorless bodies like the A7R series.
I actually agree 100% regarding video but recognize the fact is the way the industry is going with even the Leica M shooting video now. If I had my way this camera would cost the same as the last model and forego 4K (or any video for that matter.)

V

Vivek

Very interesting interview with Mr. Kimio Maki, Senior General Manager, Digital Imaging Business Group, Sony Corporation.!

Sony Q&A: The must-have sensor tech of the future?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/06/16/sony-qa-the-must-have-sensor-tech-of-the-future
Interesting but with errors. One of Nikon's aps-c cams with 24 mp (Toshiba) sensors used copper wiring and that precedes Samsung's NX 1. This(copper wiring) is indeed a big deal but Sony should not overcharge us because of this. Yes, I feel the A72r is overpriced by at least €700.

4k with such low bit rates is a big compromise. Jack of all trade and lacking a GPS and a phone.

k-hawinkler

Here are 3 images taken with A7R and Zeiss/Sony 35/2.8.
For the images I used -2, -1, and 0 EV exposure correction when shot.
The raw files were identically processed, except I applied these corrections 0, -1, -2 EV in Capture One Pro 8.3 in post.

First image.

Second image.

Third image.

So, the first image was correctly exposed with -2 EV exposure correction and needed no further exposure correction in post.
The second image was corrected with -1 EV when shot and another -1 EV exposure correction applied in post.
The third image was not corrected when shot and -2 EV exposure correction applied in post.

The images look to me pretty identical except for the bright Sun area.
There my eyes detect increasing ring like structures from the first to the third image.
Question: What is causing this? I appreciate your feedback. TIA.

Could this be caused by the lossy compression of the less than 14 bit Sony raw files when the image isn't correctly exposed when shot?

BTW, I am really impressed by the performance of my copy of the Zeiss/Sony 35/2.8 lens.
Pretty sharp and no glare to speak of. :thumbs:
The Zony=(Zeiss/Sony) 55/1.8 behaves quite similarly.
From both lenses I have a number of examples that show the same described behavior.
The images were shot with a tripod and Drive Mode Cont. Bracket: 1.0EV3.
So a single firing of the shutter resulted in exposure of the 3 images in rapid succession.

Last edited:

Annna T

Here are 3 images taken with A7R and Zeiss/Sony 35/2.8.
For the images I used -2, -1, and 0 EV exposure correction when shot.
The raw files were identically processed, except I applied these corrections 0, -1, -2 EV in Capture One Pro 8.3 in post.

So, the first image was correctly exposed with -2 EV exposure correction and needed no further exposure correction in post.
The second image was corrected with -1 EV when shot and another -1 EV exposure correction applied in post.
The third image was not corrected when shot and -2 EV exposure correction applied in post.

The images look to me pretty identical except for the bright Sun area.
There my eyes detect increasing ring like structures from the first to the third image.
Question: What is causing this? I appreciate your feedback. TIA.

Could this be caused by the lossy compression of the less than 14 bit Sony raw files when the image isn't correctly exposed when shot?

BTW, I am really impressed by the performance of my copy of the Zeiss/Sony 35/2.8 lens.
Pretty sharp and no glare to speak of. :thumbs:
The Zony=(Zeiss/Sony) 55/1.8 behaves quite similarly.
From both lenses I have a number of examples that show the same described behavior.
The images were shot with a tripod and Drive Mode Cont. Bracket: 1.0EV3.
So a single firing of the shutter resulted in exposure of the 3 images in rapid succession.
It could also be due to the saturation of the sensor , when just one color is burned, for instance red.
BTW I'm also seeing a difference in the rock standing forward : it gets brighter as you go from the first to the last picture.