The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pimp your A7/r

Ben Rubinstein

Buying my A7r tonight after a ridiculously convoluted decision making process :) Helps that my boss has promised to buy it from me for the studio if I change my mind.

Not as much information out there about all the accessory stuff that we buy with a camera when it comes to Sony. Specifically batteries, external chargers, cable releases, tripod plates, etc. Thought it might be useful to discuss these. I need all of the above for example. If I wanted to know where to get good quality batteries for canon for example, wealth of information. Sony, not so much.

What are you guys doing for your accessories?

V

Vivek

Ben, based on your title:

Watch at 15.24: Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review - YouTube
Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review - YouTube

:ROTFL:

Seriously, look up the posts by "hot" here. The NEX batteries are the ones used by the A7/7R and these batteries (knock offs)/shipped cost less than driving your car to shop to pick up groceries.

Charger- ditto (search ebay).

Remote: ditto (<$3).

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah I saw that, gave me the idea for the title :D

Are there any radio remotes out there? I've used a radio remote made by yongnuo with my canon for years. Cheap as chips, range about 50+ yards. Far better for my needs than using IR in middle eastern sun. Found this so far. Rather expensive though.

Had a look on ebay, as you say, so cheap it's pocket change. Was just wondering if anyone had any preferences, the knockoff canon chargers on ebay for example used to be really nasty in comparison to the real thing.

I'll check out 'hot', thanks!

Suppose we can also talk about bags here!

V

Vivek

It is already pimped up!

See: PlayMemories Online | Applications

Look up camera apps.

Use your smart phone to control the camera.

The A7R comes with NFC and WiFi! :)

No need for an additional radio control device!

As for bags, it is way out of my league. :eek:

I use back packs that are meant to be diaper bags. My wife searches the web and buys them from Germany (based on the reviews and ratings posted by the Germans. Usually ~30 Euros on super sale). I get them as gifts. :)

Ben Rubinstein

Funny that, my cousin tells me my ancient crumpler shoulder bag looks like a diaper bag, I may have threatened him with a rapidly approaching fist if he didn't stop making fun of me and we switched to a different topic :D :D

I'm a luddite and proud of it. Got rid of my iphone after 6 months and am very happy being unsmartphoned in my life. I'd pay the 40 bucks for a remote to remain not contactable by email while not in the office. :D

hcubell

It is already pimped up!

See: PlayMemories Online | Applications

Look up camera apps.

Use your smart phone to control the camera.

The A7R comes with NFC and WiFi! :)

No need for an additional radio control device!

As for bags, it is way out of my league. :eek:

I use back packs that are meant to be diaper bags. My wife searches the web and buys them from Germany (based on the reviews and ratings posted by the Germans. Usually ~30 Euros on super sale). I get them as gifts. :)
What is the range of the iPhone as a remote for the A7?
Thanks.

V

Vivek

I am sorry, I have no clue! :eek:

I am more of a luddite than Ben is. Never ever owned a "smart" phone. :eek:

fotografz

Ben, take care in securing radio remotes for flash right now. Most transmitters are for the older Minolta proprietary hot-shoe.

I have pass through TTL transmitters for my A900 which has the older hot-shoe. With the A99, Sony returned to the standard type hot-shoe, but 3rd party radio haven't caught up yet.

- Marc

V

Vivek

My backpack got upgraded to a "real" camera bag (though I do not see any difference between this and the diaper bag/ backpack I have). :D

A Lowepro Photo hatchback 16L AW. I am yet to populate it and migrate from the old one but it looks to be perfect for the A7R and a bunch of stuff that goes with it plus room for my towels, plastic bags and such.

Ron Pfister

I can whole-heartedly recommend the Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag. It's very compact, but still fits a CSC-body and up to five smallish lenses. Perfect for the A7R, I find.

V

Vivek

Here is an useful tip. The playing card box (cost with the cards: 1 Euro) fits 4 of the Sony NEX/A7/7R batteries.

algrove

I use the 4 battery version, but the M240 batery is a very very tight fit. Monochrom batteries and RX-1 are fine, but then it costs more than 1 Euro.

Ron Pfister

I use the 4 battery version, but the M240 batery is a very very tight fit. Monochrom batteries and RX-1 are fine, but then it costs more than 1 Euro.
It certainly does. The A7 batteries fit quite loosely - loosely enough that you can actually fit an additional AAA battery (e.g. for a small flash) into each battery pocket. Quite handy, I find.

V

Vivek

The card box is a snug fit. Even when less than 4 batteries are in it, it will not rattle around. Most importantly, it keeps the ever present water (rain here) away.

Knorp

The screen protector (PCK-LM16) is an useful addition and stays pretty clean from greasy fingers and nose grease ... :eek:

Kind regards.