The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Closer focus with the 50 DR and a regular M adapter for mirrorless cameras

Shac

Some of you might already know this but I haven’t seen it mentioned on this site yet. If you have the 50 DR, you can focus closer than 1m, simply by pulling out and moving the focus ring as if you had the close-up goggles on. The focus ring won;lt move, but if you depress the ball bearing on the flat area the goggles normally fit onto, the catch stooping the focus ring moving is released you can now focus as close as 19”.

pegelli

I also found this out, I also have the close-up goggles with it but they don't look that smart on a NEX, so since I found this I use the same technique. Never thought about sharing it but a great idea to do so.

V

Vivek

Better yet is to unscrew the lens head (it is designed to unscrew) and add an extension ring

16468X (codename OTQNO) or

use the OTZFO (a M mount focusing helicoid) for closer reach.

You can store the original focus mount + the goggles safely somewhere.

pegelli

My dad used an OTZFO for the head of his Elmar 90/2.8. Unfortunately he sold it together with his Visoflex (I still have the lens). However the thread on the head of my Summicron 50/2 DR is distictly smaller diameter, so you probably need another adapter inbetween.

The OTQNO is officially for attaching the head of an Elmar 90/4, which is also larger diameter than my 50/2 DR. The diameter of the thread on the head of the 90/4 is 33 mm, while the 50/2 is 28,5 mm.

Maybe there are later 50/2 DR's who use a larger thread, so you better check and see if they fit before buying.

Shac

Vivek & pegelli - yes I too have the OTZFO but - for those without one, this item is now getting more and more expensive - so my suggestion requires no added expense (assuming of course you have the DR to start with;)