The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/A7R settings

Shane Phillips

Hey everyone,

Just received my a7.

Anyone notice that the power save start time setting even if set to 10 seconds does not seem to activate?

On my NEX to save power the camera would turn off after a period of time... to save battery.

Also, has anyone figured out how to set the memory settings 1 and 2?

Mine seem not to be able to be set, no matter what I tried and the manual as we know is garbage.

Thanks!

Jule Bykiarr

That did the trick - thank you very much!
Shane, hi, I have the same issue on memory position 1 and 2 not being able to save my presets... how did you sort it out???

what does disabling the remote control do? Or did you managed to restore the sleep mode only? To me sleep mode works just fine. is the recall function that makes me go:loco:...

Shane Phillips

Yes, disabling remote, restores sleep.

I found this on another site and it worked for me!

Download this manual, it is much better:

http://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf

To set the memory settings, set up the camera how you like it, then go to Menu>Camera>Page 7>Memory, and press the center button. You need then to choose which bank.

Shane, hi, I have the same issue on memory position 1 and 2 not being able to save my presets... how did you sort it out???

what does disabling the remote control do? Or did you managed to restore the sleep mode only? To me sleep mode works just fine. is the recall function that makes me go:loco:...

carstenw

Haha, I was on FM when Jack and Guy were still there, so I ended up with accounts in both places.

Jule Bykiarr

Hit "Menu", under the camera icon go to page 7, the bottom option is "memory"
Choose either "register 1 or 2" and boom save your settings.

Found this by accident as it wasn't covered well in the manual. ^_^

algrove

Should be receiving my a7r tomorrow (I hope).

In order to get out before sunset any quick suggestions for setup from those of you who have had yours a week or two by now?
I will start using R and M lenses. Thanks.

Any On/Off suggestions in Menu? I shoot RAW.

What is the best way to set speed and f stop on buttons?

I imagine I can set one button for magnified view. Which is best?

V

Vivek

Should be receiving my a7r tomorrow (I hope).

In order to get out before sunset any quick suggestions for setup from those of you who have had yours a week or two by now?
I will start using R and M lenses. Thanks.

Any On/Off suggestions in Menu? I shoot RAW.

What is the best way to set speed and f stop on buttons?

I imagine I can set one button for magnified view. Which is best?
Congrats!

Lou, do not assign anything and start using it as it came. The C1 button (next to the shutter release) is for mag. Press it once, rectangle appears, you can move it around with the wheel (don't turn the wheel but press the top/bottom, sides to move). Press the C1 button the second time and it magnifies to 7X, press again it goes to 14X, one more press turns it off or shutter half press turns it off.

This is convenient as you can continue to use the EVF and do not have to look at the back of the camera. Everything you need is at your finger touch.

The descriptions may sound long and complex but the operation is easy, even for me. :)

algrove

Vivek
Appreciate that help.

Tim talked about turning on and off some stuff, but only one affects RAW images. That will come later.

Sure sounds like a fantastic camera and your images prove that. Thanks for all of them.

P.S. How do you format a new SD card? Lloyd Chambers seemed to bitch about that.

Ron Pfister

Lloyd Chambers is on a bit of a crusade regarding menu usability :)
Having used NEXes an now the A7R, I find little need to visit the menu once the camera is set up to my liking. In fact, the menu is always left on memory card formatting (Toolbox > 5 > Format). HTH...

algrove

Ron
Glad you say that since after getting the RX-1, I set the Menu once and now is all I do is change f stop for the shot and the camera takes care of speed and ISO. Easy to use.

fmueller

Is there any way to set a minimum shutter speed while in aperture priority and auto ISO? My 5D3 has that and I dearly love that small feature....

Fred

Ron Pfister

Is there any way to set a minimum shutter speed while in aperture priority and auto ISO? My 5D3 has that and I dearly love that small feature....
Aperture priority has been my preferred mode for as long as I can remember. With the A7R and non-native lenses, however, I have taken a liking to using shutter speed priority. I set the desired aperture manually on the lens, choose the shutter speed using the rear dial (usually somewhere between 1/2f and 1/3f), and let auto-ISO do the rest. Works quite well, I find...

scho

Aperture priority has been my preferred mode for as long as I can remember. With the A7R and non-native lenses, however, I have taken a liking to using shutter speed priority. I set the desired aperture manually on the lens, choose the shutter speed using the rear dial (usually somewhere between 1/2f and 1/3f), and let auto-ISO do the rest. Works quite well, I find...
I also use this work around, but hope that Sony will include a firmware fix for the static 1/60 sec min shutter speed when using auto-ISO and A priority.

fmueller

Yes, this is what I've started doing. Didn't know if I had simply overlooked something. Thanks.

Fred

Shane Phillips

Hello,

Having used adapted glass on a NEX 5n for years - I found S Mode, shutter priority a dream because it has auto ISO.

Question now since the a7 and a7r has M mode, manual with auto iso... has anyone noticed any difference in behavior using adapted glass between M and S modes?

Are you finding M and S mode on the a7/a7r, in auto iso, to be the "same"?

If not what are the subtle, if any differences?