The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/A7R settings

Knorp

Hello,

Having used adapted glass on a NEX 5n for years - I found S Mode, shutter priority a dream because it has auto ISO.

Question now since the a7 and a7r has M mode, manual with auto iso... has anyone noticed any difference in behavior using adapted glass between M and S modes?

Are you finding M and S mode on the a7/a7r, in auto iso, to be the "same"?

If not what are the subtle, if any differences?
No difference as far as I can see.
Only difference is that in S mode you can use both front and rear wheel to set the shutter speed.

Kind regards.

cunim

I am trying to set one of the memory modes up for manual flash. I can get the camera to keep everything I need except "Live view display setting effect", which needs to be off for the flash. Is there a way to have this setting kept in a memory mode? I would also like to assign it to the function bar, but that does not appear to be possible.

algrove

I was testing various speeds with R and M lenses -Metabones adapters. I was trying to get some waves splashing on rocks and kept upping the shutter speed until at 1/2000 the camera would not function and then I went back to 1/1600 and it started allowing more shots. Interesting.

Schmiddi

I also use this work around, but hope that Sony will include a firmware fix for the static 1/60 sec min shutter speed when using auto-ISO and A priority.
Well, so far I understodd up to now this 1/60s is not static when using Sony-E-lenses - then the longest time is set based on the focal length. So all we would need is a possibility to set the focal length of adapted lenses (or chipped adapters?)...
Andreas

scho

Well, so far I understodd up to now this 1/60s is not static when using Sony-E-lenses - then the longest time is set based on the focal length. So all we would need is a possibility to set the focal length of adapted lenses (or chipped adapters?)...
Andreas
What I meant is that one cannot set the min shutter speed (currently fixed at 1/60) where AUTO-ISO adjustment kicks in. In most situations I would prefer 1/125 sec for handheld shooting with the A7R. We got this capability on the Ricoh GXR after many users asked for it, but unfortunately Sony doesn't readily implement user suggestions in firmware upgrades.

Michiel Schierbeek

Where is the setting for spotmeter-halfpress the exp. button and then recompose.?
Can't find it somehow.
I mean I have to keep the ael pushed in and I want it to be permanent if I halfpress.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Ron, I know it all sounds rather stupid, but that only works halfway what I want (mean) because still the shutter button is not activated, half pressing it for exposure lock, on my camera. It was second nature on my NEX-7.
This is an extra finger movement and I am to lazy for that.

Could it be you have to set that somewhere else in the menu.

And yes it was something in the menu. AEL with shutter was on automatic and is now set to on. Why didn't I see it...:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:

GrahamB

I am trying to set one of the memory modes up for manual flash. I can get the camera to keep everything I need except "Live view display setting effect", which needs to be off for the flash. Is there a way to have this setting kept in a memory mode? I would also like to assign it to the function bar, but that does not appear to be possible.
It would be nice if that was possible, but apparently not. I'm adding that option to my short list of wished for firmware upgrades.

One may see a list of the available memory options by turning the mode selector to one of the memory numbers. The lcd displays the parameters, with the memory slot number illuminated. Press the back wheel down to see the list.

As a work around, the menu reverts to the last page visited, even when powered on and off. I haven't found may reasons to visit the menu once I set the camera up (other than card formatting). One could leave the "setting effect" menu option page as the last visited, and change the setting quickly by pressing the menu button.

Graham

Edit: On my Sony alpha mount bodies, when reviewing an image, one may press the menu button and be taken directly to the format option. Doing the same on the a7(R), one is taken to the review menu, with a delete option. The format option is on the separate setup menu (suitcase). It would be nice for Sony to move the format option back to the review menu.

Last edited: