The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wides for A7R

turtle

My results with various lenses are as follows (A7R, Kipon adaptor), looking at smearing and not colour.

21 Biogon: Unacceptable even at f11 in the corners. Just not crisp enough. Close but....

24 Summilux: f5.6 is bloody good and f8 perfect. F11 is no better and losing resolution due to diffraction. I'd have no hesitation using this lens for critical work, printed big, on the A7R. Only distortion is the issue!

35 Summarit-M: Pretty good by f11 and this aperture stands up to critical inspection of the corners, though perhaps not quite as crisp as the 24 lux gets. I would not be happy using it for landscapes at less than F11, were they to be printed large.

35 CV 1.2 II: Well, what a lens. Great by f5.6, even in the corners. Really. At f8 its absolutely immaculate and I'd have no hesitation using it for huge prints. Some might not believe me, but this is by far the best value M mount lens I own. Performance is absolutely spectacular on the Monochrom from wide open right to the edges. By f2.8 it is close to perfect corner to corner. I very much doubt the 35 Lux FLE can match this and it costs about $4K more.... oh and bokeh is sublime.

50 Planar ZM: Superb. For landscapes, I'd say its effectively perfect at 5.6, although F8 does bring a small improvement in the margins/corners. F 5.6 is sharper centrally though. Who needs a 50 APO Summicron?

So, out of these lenses, I have a 24, 35 and 50 I would be happy using for critical landscape work; however, I plan on selling the 24 lux and will do so as soon as Sony has released a good sharp 24mm lens (even if is the zoom). Need to do this to pay for the A7R and the A7 I am sure to buy!

engel001

Regarding 24mm, you may wish to consider the Sony 24mm f/2.0 Carl Zeiss lens SAL24F20Z with LAEA3 (or the more expensive SLT adapter LAEA4) until there is a more compact FE version. Autofocus works with both adapters, since it has SSM.

fmueller

My results with various lenses are as follows (A7R, Kipon adaptor), looking at smearing and not colour.

35 CV 1.2 II: Well, what a lens. Great by f5.6, even in the corners. Really. At f8 its absolutely immaculate and I'd have no hesitation using it for huge prints. Some might not believe me, but this is by far the best value M mount lens I own. Performance is absolutely spectacular on the Monochrom from wide open right to the edges. By f2.8 it is close to perfect corner to corner. I very much doubt the 35 Lux FLE can match this and it costs about $4K more.... oh and bokeh is sublime.

Amen to that. It is spectacular on my M9 and spectacular on my A7r.

Fred

www.fredmuellerphotography.com