The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter Shake and Macro

jonoslack

I use/used my 135 f3.4 apo on my M7 and M8 without any problems. I also had used it in the past on the R-D1. I sometimes use a magnifying eyepiece which helps, but not really necessary.

HTH,

Joel
I use the 135 APO Telyt on my M's and Monochrom without issue as well - 1/125th is usually adequate.

I imagine the electronic first curtain on the A7 would help matters noticeably. It seems hard to think that the KerChunk noise on the A7r isn't going to cause some sort of shake.

V

Vivek

I use/used my 135 f3.4 apo on my M7 and M8 without any problems. I also had used it in the past on the R-D1. I sometimes use a magnifying eyepiece which helps, but not really necessary.

HTH,

Joel
In my hands the one word that describes a 135mm plus a Leica M is- unwieldy.

For the price of a magnifier, I can get a couple of lenses for the A7R. Luckily I do have an OVF for the 135mm but framing and focus are major problems.

henningw

When mounting a camera on a tripod there is also the matter of harmonics that comes into play.

Years ago I had a Nikkor 400/5.6 PC which was probably one of the best lenses of the era; definitely the best Nikkor telephoto of its time. I had/have a Gitzo 509?? 5 series Geant tripod that was used mostly for high viewpoint sinar-p 8x10 shots as it is a bear to carry around for general use, and have a Foba 2 axes head that makes the Cube seem flimsy.

No matter if the mirror was locked up on the Nikon F2 and the the weather was dead calm, I couldn't get a sharp shot at 1/125sec when the lens and camera were mounted on the tripod. If I added the motor drive (but had it shut off) or added an extension tube I could get sharper shots. If I used a much flimsier Gitzo pan tilt head the shots were also sharper. If I used the camera/lens combination handheld, my hit rate of sharp shots at 1/125sec was over 90% (I was also 40 years younger).

There are many factors in play in enhancing or reducing shutter vibrations. It just seems that the A7r seems more than usually problematic.

Henning