The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color shading compensation with native FE lenses

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have a mea culpa. I have written both here and elsewhere that the in-camera corrections for shading are partial only and don't seem to fully correct colour or luminance shading - and that if necessary a lens cast calibration shot should be made for colour critical shots.

Some things I noticed, something Lloyd Chambers wrote on the matter yesterday and some correspondence I had with at reader lead me to look into this again and I now think it most likely that in-camera corrections are for luminance shading only and that no colour shading is attempted.

I have a call in to Sony so I can bottom this out but I did find the following, which heavily implies that there is no colour shading correction going on in-camera at all, regardless of which options you select in the menus.

Help Guide | Shading Comp.

Thoughts?

V

Vivek

From the same guide:

Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
ILCE-7/ILCE-7R
Chro. Aber. Comp.
Reduces the color deviation at the corners of the screen, caused by certain lens characteristics.
MENU

(Custom Settings
) →
[Lens Comp.]

[Chro. Aber. Comp.]
→ desired setting.
Menu item details
Auto
(default setting):
Reduces the color deviation automatically.
Off
:
Does not compensate for the color deviation.
Note
The
[Chro. Aber. Comp.] function is only available when an E-mount lens is mounted.
This is Sony speak for color shading correction! :eek:

V

Vivek

Reduces the color deviation at the corners of the screen, caused by certain lens characteristics.
Why would CA occur only at the corners? :confused:

tashley

Subscriber Member
In any event, i think that menu item is really about fringing rather than very broad shifts, which are often referred to as color shading.

V

Vivek

I guess you are right. My major worry now is to tackle the adapter induced vignetteing in some M and LS mount lenses. Cheaper adapters appear to work fine than the Hawk focusing adapters for some wides.

V

Vivek

It seems a game of gain and pain my friend!
Yes and no. Things did accelerate after the advent of G1. I could cobble a Leica M adapter quickly and use any Leica lenses. With cheap adapters available at the ready, it has become even more convenient. No need to scrap the skin off my fingers grinding metal.

If I look back at my attempts (ignoring the money that has to by sunk into a bottomless pit) to get one lens fitted for Leica M with correct (not even accurate) RF coupling, this is a breeze by all accounts. :)