Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutter Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shutter Vibration

I have to say that this whole post has me somewhat confused. Surely if you used a SLR with any long lens without image stabilisation you would have to up your shutter speed because of 'mirror slap' and on better quality SLR you can lock up the mirror to mitigate the problem. So surely 'Mirror slap' would have the same effect as 'shutter slap'. So the problem as I see it is that on the A7r you have no mode that equates to 'mirror lock-up' but with the A7 you do as you can have the electronic first shutter.. I hardly feel this is a reason to slam the camera just use a higher shutter speed.

Post Thanks / Like

After looking very carefully over my 50 ZM planar tests, my view is this (and I reserve the right to change it, if I get different results next time I cannot see any change in resolution resulting from shutter vibration. I CAN see a change in centre resolution resulting from a change in aperture.

The shots at F8 and with shutter speeds in the danger zone from my 90mm tests (1/20-1/60th, roughly) are less sharp on centre than those shots at 1/320th... however, those shots were shot at a slightly higher ISO and wider aperture (about f5 I recall). it is very clear that the reduction in central resolution is a result of aperture changes and not vibration, because the peripheral sharpness is commensurately lower than the F8 shots (which had weaker centres).

If Chambers is having real issues with the 55 1.8 FE, I am wondering if this is due to the lens being longer, or something to do with his tripod rig vs mine?

Regarding his central premise that 'professionals need need cameras that have no quirks', I think this is both untrue and out of kilter with the reality of professional work. While I completely agree that this issue needs to be fixed and is a pain in the butt for some people, the real issue is 'cost benefit analysis' for everyone. No quirks is better, but its rare we get perfection. Everything is compromised somewhere.

The fact is that ALL pros go into EVERY shoot, with compromises and maybe some (or a number of) quirks. If they are any kind of a pro they know where the weaknesses (because they know their kit) are and work around them as best they can. If a pro decides a bit of kit is not working for them, then they move on (or don't buy it in the first place). We know our lenses and apertures, DOF and focal length (and differences between lenses of the same FL even on the same format).

We all make decisions based on what we need and are prepared to tolerate. The assertion that the A7R is unsuitable for professional use is total rubbish. I'd love to see him decide to tote his D800 and lenses up mountains instead of an A7R kit, for example. I'd personally put up with some vibration workarounds for sparing myself that particular misery, loss of fluids, larger pack catching the wind.... the list goes on.

Hopefully Sony will be able to improve it with firmware, but Chambers and his supported posts are the ones who do not understand the concept of personal choices. There seems to be an authoritarian streak in some of his proclamations. Disagree with him and 'you're not a real pro'....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that talk is a bunch of bullshit. I just dropped 7 k into this system and I'm a Pro. I do not like these people talking for me. I do my talking with getting the job done and done well. It's why I do NOT pay for reviews. They got to sell something, hype works.

Pisses me off, he is not a Pro with clients writing checks. There I said it. Same for a lot of these guys. I said that too. Flame suit on
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But, Guy, he is a professional tester!

Don't let the true believers burn you down! They do take some time off from shooting charts and bricks to browse the net!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    If your technique is good, vibration is subtle. We are looking for something that is like the difference between a grade A lens and a grade B lens. Both can take great pictures and without careful comparison most people would not notice (or care about) the difference. Shoot. Enjoy.

Some of us are just not tuned that way. Why bother to lock up the mirror on your pro camera? Why care about getting a 36MP sensor? In some applications and to some people it matters.

Under controlled conditions I can detect vibration with the 90 cron in blind testing at 100% confidence. I have not bothered to do controlled testing with the 50R cron or FE55. Informally, I do see shutter vibration with both lenses.

I do not expect the A7r to match the my tech cameras. However, it can make me happy when everything is working well. I use care to avoid vibration, and select lenses that do not smear. Worth it for the moment but I wish I didn't have to be so careful. Simple is good.

In a year or so we will see pundits referring to the A7r as "innovative but flawed" and will all be looking forward to the next new thing.
    I think the same can be said about every camera system ever offered ... because none of them are perfect. As comedian Gilda Radner said when informed she had a terminal illness: "It's always something."

So we could just "freeze up" and never get anything to shoot with because maybe the next thing will be better

I appreciate others posting that this or that lens/mounting system shows vibration ... luckily, I don't have a 90 cron or 50 cron and have no plans to get either. However, this forum is populated with a lot of landscape shooters ... where the rest of the world is shooting people and moments where content is ever changing and mutable in approach. Thus folks like Vivek can flood the "fun with" thread with successful examples from this camera using a mind boggling array of lenses.

Corner smear with some M lenses? Oh well, now you get to shell out $7,000 for a M240 to avoid that, but then deal with an "innovative but flawed" camera due to a thin IR filter and color performance requiring IR filters and special color profiles requiring a degree from MIT.

Why care about a 36 meg sensor? Well, it isn't just that it is 36 meg ... it is a better high ISO camera than anything else I have, or am likely to get in the near future. Higher shutter speeds are better than lower ones no matter what or how the camera is held or supported ... because shutter shock isn't the only thing that effects acuity ... unless you shoot test charts in an enclosed area with a solid floor on a locked down, sand bagged camera stand, and the subject is either dead or an inanimate object.

User shake, and subject movement isn't conducive to 1/30 or 1/50 or (depending on the lens) even 1/100 anyway. I've lost more images to those two than I'll ever attribute to shutter shock ... NOW I can finally use a higher shutter speed in lower light ... AND at 36 meg not have to enlarge that higher ISO image as much as with a 24 meg camera.

When I take this pup into the studio, flash duration determines acuity and shutter speed is meaningless. That is a huge world of application where this camera set to its lowest ISO will sing a song that may well and threaten many established systems.

Those two things alone make the price/performance ratio one of the best out there now ... and since NOW is when I am shooting I'll leave it to others to wait for the next "better" thing ... which I can guarantee will be flawed in some way or another.

- Marc
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's it Marc. This camera is so damned sharp with good lenses that should were ISO 100 to give me a shutter speed of 1/20 with my 90mm, I'd have no hesitation either:

drop to ISO 50, if the range of the scene allowed me to give up DR and speed. 1/10th is v sharp. Or//

Increase to ISO 500 and shoot at 1/100th. Its still absurdly sharp and noise is all but irrelevant. The only time I would be upset is if I absolutely had to shoot at base ISO to get my full 14 stops of DR and its not a static subject that allows me to shoot a second exposure, but how likely is that?

I bet Sony will regard this camera as a real breakthrough and improve the issue with a firmware fix if this is indeed possible.

I'm so impressed with mine, that I am seriously tempted to add an A7 for the non tripod work... and when the A7R is on a tripod you have a bit of time to think through your plan for staying out the shutter speed danger zone when shooting with affected rigs.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its long been my observation that there is little overlap in the skills needed in order to be prolific as:

a. a talented photographer
    b. a professional photographer
    c. a photographic gear tester

The skills as I seen them in order to be prolific in these each of these are for:

a. talent and the ability to preserver at the art and craft
    b. ability to run a business and get clients to pay you for your product
    c. ability to be rigorous, methodical and with an attention for the borderline irrelevant minutiae

Lloyd Chambers isn't possessed with great photographic talent (IMHO) and he doesn't earn a living from selling his photographs but he does have a penchant for being anal enough to find any flaw with a product no matter how small or large it may be.

Now one can look at this result, acknowledge that for the situations and subjects he found the issue with its there and then determine that it doesn't apply to their photography, either style or subject and move on (i.e. which is what I've done with a whole bunch of stuff Lloyd has said over the years). However, belittling him or what he does because what he does for a living "measure up" in your value system is ignorant at best and jerky at worst.

I say this with all due respect of course

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I agree that talk is a bunch of bullshit. I just dropped 7 k into this system and I'm a Pro. I do not like these people talking for me. I do my talking with getting the job done and done well. It's why I do NOT pay for reviews. They got to sell something, hype works.

Pisses me off, he is not a Pro with clients writing checks. There I said it. Same for a lot of these guys. I said that too. Flame suit on
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aravind, Nice prose.

Here is the problem. There is bunch of contributors here who share their independent experience that directly contradicts (to put it mildly) the so called findings.

Why not you and your chambership brethren acknowledge that instead of dismissing it summarily or ignoring it?

That is not courteous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    However, belittling him or what he does because what he does for a living "measure up" in your value system is ignorant at best and jerky at worst.
    I've performed tests with my a7r and lenses. Vibration problems with my 90/2.8 Tamron macro, and 70-200/2.8 G Sony were indiscernible.

Here's some full size strips, shot with my Sigma 400/5.6 APO telemacro and Sony LA-EA3 adapter, using the lens collar, mounted on a Gitzo 3 series tripod, with a RRS BH-55 head, triggered with the Sony wired remote. As many are aware who've use one, the Sigma is a consumer grade lens. The collar and foot are far from "pro grade".

Yes, the 1/80s and 1/100s images are a little softer than the 1/250s example. Would anyone notice without a direct comparison?

When one performs one's own tests, and the results differ so much from the reported results of Mr. Lloyd, I don't think it's unusual to question the competence or agenda of the person yelling "fire".

Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My head is officially spinning now....
    So I have an A7 coming from B&H with the FE 35mm and Voigtlander NEX to M adaptor.
    I will also be using my Zeiss 50/2 ZM and 85/4 ZM. That's it 3 lens kit.
    I guess my question is forgetting about this shutter vibration is an issue or is not an issue,
    realistically don't you still need to shoot the A7R on a tripod to really benefit from 36mp?
    I could never get tack sharp images with my D800/E hand holding it unless maybe 1/500 sec or above.

I am just trying to keep it real here. Of course I would love 36mp don't get me wrong. Yet I am trying to break away from always shooting on a tripod
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    realistically don't you still need to shoot the A7R on a tripod to really benefit from 36mp?
    I'm delighted with my images shooting the a7r handheld. Judging by their images, I think Vivek and other's who frequently post their images in the "fun with a7/a7r" would also answer affirmatively.

Ultimately, you're the only one who can answer your question. You might want to order an a7r to test along side the a7. Keep the model that best suits your needs.

Graham

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I have an A7 coming from B&H with the FE 35mm and Voigtlander NEX to M adaptor.
    I will also be using my Zeiss 50/2 ZM and 85/4 ZM. That's it 3 lens kit.
    I guess my question is forgetting about this shutter vibration is an issue or is not an issue,
    I could never get tack sharp images with my D800/E hand holding it unless maybe 1/500 sec or above.

I am just trying to keep it real here. Of course I would love 36mp don't get me wrong. Yet I am trying to break away from always shooting on a tripod
    Who said every situation requires 36 meg of retina slicing acuity?

If one took a Canon 5DMKIII and shot it at ISO 6,400 to get a great "of the moment" shot ... would that be using the camera's sensor to its greatest ability? Of course not.

I've heard the same argument regarding use of MFD cameras ... didn't stop me from shooting ISO 800 or 1600 hand-held to get a shot ... but I still had the choice to bolt it down on a tripod and shoot native ISO 100 if I wanted. The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

IMO, that is "keeping it real."

- Marc
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Might depend on your own hand stability and age. For me, no. I get very sharp, detailed images handheld with the 55 f/1.8 pretty reliably at 1/80s.
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its long been my observation that there is little overlap in the skills needed in order to be prolific as:

The skills as I seen them in order to be prolific in these each of these are for:

c. ability to be rigorous, methodical and with an attention for the borderline irrelevant minutiae

Lloyd Chambers isn't possessed with great photographic talent (IMHO) and he doesn't earn a living from selling his photographs but he does have a penchant for being anal enough to find any flaw with a product no matter how small or large it may be.

Now one can look at this result, acknowledge that for the situations and subjects he found the issue with its there and then determine that it doesn't apply to their photography, either style or subject and move on (i.e. which is what I've done with a whole bunch of stuff Lloyd has said over the years). However, belittling him or what he does because what he does for a living "measure up" in your value system is ignorant at best and jerky at worst.

Meh, like it or not, use of the word MORON will be a lightening rod.

Trying to categorize photographers and their skills into nice little cubicles is an over-analizing trait best left to file clerks and bureaucrats.

I know people who are all three of your subdivisions, and some that would claim none.

Who's to say whom is a talented preserver of the art. You, and your value system?

Who's to say that a professional photographer isn't the above? History is peppered with them.

I know photographers who are rigorous and relentless in testing any gear they may depend on, finding the flaws no matter how big or minute, then get on with it keeping that in mind.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's sounds like a next neighbor. You need to understand commerce and what really that is all about. You have no idea what these forums and review sites are all about. I'll leave it at that. Give you one example drama causes participation. Maybe now you will understand it better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Tim,

Or better yet my Alpa with a 150mm lens on a Gitzo series 1 traveler and an Acra head.... geez that head/tripod setup weighs 3.1 lbs. and allows me to use any shutter speed I want with no vibration - ever.

Victor
    Apologize for being off topic ...............

Hello Victor

Please breakdown your setup that weights in at 3.1 lbs, with head and tripod included.

My IQ280 and Cambo WRC 400 and HR 40 weigh in at 2.1 kg w/o tripod and head.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I've performed tests with my a7r and lenses. Vibration problems with my 90/2.8 Tamron macro, and 70-200/2.8 G Sony were indiscernible.
    Glad to hear it. I did some quick testing (I'm not much of a tester, don't have the patience for it) with the Canon 24-70 II, 35 FE, 55 FE and Leica '90 cron and saw no discernible issues with any of the lenses except the Leica 90, where there was noticeable degradation at 1/160s.

Yes, the 1/80s and 1/100s images are a little softer than the 1/250s example. Would anyone notice without a direct comparison?

When one performs one's own tests, and the results differ so much from the reported results of Mr. Lloyd, I don't think it's unusual to question the competence or agenda of the person yelling "fire".
    As I said before, you can identify an issue and decide its a non-issue for you and carry on. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that a difference that is irrelevant to you is irrelevant to all (for the record, Lloyd's differences in sharpness on the 55 FE due to shutter vibration are irrelevant to me).

I guess I don't get why people are getting all worked up over the folks who are getting worked up over shutter vibration. You don't have an issue with it, be happy and move on right? After all if Sony does manage to get bitch slapped into putting in a better delayed release pattern (i.e. one that closes the shutter then waits then opens shutter) in a firmware update you don't have anything to lose right?
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Forgive me for being a bit slow, but what is Lloys C saying in his tweet? A7R buyers are morons, those who don't believe in shutter vibration are morons, or what?
    Way I see it he is either:

1. Calling Ferrell McCollough a moron.
    2. Calling all of us that feel "shuttergate" is not as huge of an issue _for us_ as some are trying to convince rest of the world it is.
    3. Both of the above.

Regardless of which one it is I don't care, I am not a professional tester, I am in photography for the art part of it and I am happy with the results from my A7R. If I would get on Sony's case about anything it would be what seems to me as (in)accuracy of metering, not "shutter shock".

Now if you will excuse me, my A7R is waiting on me for what it has been actually made for: Some photography.
    Last edited by ZoranC; 25th December 2013 at 20:08.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Meh, like it or not, use of the word MORON will be a lightening rod.

I know photographers who are rigorous and relentless in testing any gear they may depend on, finding the flaws no matter how big or minute, then get on with it keeping that in mind.

- Marc
    That's all Lloyd chambers and joe Holmes have done. Identify flaws in the way the A7R performs that are relevant to Their needs and look for workarounds. Please. Does anyone think that joe Holmes' needs are the same as vivek's? I know Joe and the guy has much better things to do than waste his time in a polemic about the flaws of a new camera. I am sure his interest in the A7 R and its flaws is motivated by his desire to see if the camera can work for him because it has extraordinary potential. I think Lloyd chambers is similarly motivated. I have not once seen any comments from either one if them suggesting in any way that someone who buys an A7R is a moron, or that a "real" professional would never buy an A7R. However, in this day and age with the internet, there is a vocal group of camera owners who are messianic about heir choice of a f....ing camera to the point where anyone who raises issues about the performance of the camera system elicits the equivalent of tribal warfare. It's not enough for them to say respectfully, I understand your concerns and I see your test results , but you know what, those concerns are not a practical issue for me given my needs. Instead, they need to vilify the messenger, and question his motives. This does strike me as moronic.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who said every situation requires 36 meg of retina slicing acuity?

If one took a Canon 5DMKIII and shot it at ISO 6,400 to get a great "of the moment" shot ... would that be using the camera's sensor to its greatest ability? Of course not.

I've heard the same argument regarding use of MFD cameras ... didn't stop me from shooting ISO 800 or 1600 hand-held to get a shot ... but I still had the choice to bolt it down on a tripod and shoot native ISO 100 if I wanted. The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

IMO, that is "keeping it real."

- Marc
    Marc,
    Your point is well taken. I guess for me as others have suggested is shot both cameras hand held, same lens and see with my own eyes if I can see the difference.
    I don't question others success they have had hand holding the A7R, yet would they have achieved similar results with the A7?

The A7R reminds of when Nikon came out with the D800 and they published a technical document describing specifically what lens worked, and stressed proper shooting technique, tripod, MLU, etc. This is what prompted me on my original comment. Why would this same advice not apply to the A7R?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Instead, they need to vilify the messenger, and question his motives. This does strike me as moronic.
    Maybe I missed it so could you please point out where exactly did McCollough do something moronic or vilified / questioned motives of Lloyd?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if others have tested this but the A7r's shutter vibration also causes blur issues when used hand-held on certain Canon lenses when image stabilization is enabled. In my testing it occurs on the Canon 28mm f/2.8 IS and 35mm f/2 IS lenses but not on heavier lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II or Tamron 24-70VC. The affected shutter speeds are 1/40 through 1/200. The blur goes away if the A7r is mounted on a tripod or if I place a heavy hotshoe-based flash on top.

Here's a test with the Canon 35mm f/2 IS @ 1/80 comparing IS-enabled vs IS-disabled:

And here's a test with the same lens with IS-enabled with and without a Yongnuo YN-560III flash w/batteries attached (adds 1.0 lbs to camera):

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutter Shock at work? Please, see here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/557838-post112.html
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Apologize for being off topic ...............

Hello Victor

Please breakdown your setup that weights in at 3.1 lbs, with head and tripod included.

My IQ280 and Cambo WRC 400 and HR 40 weigh in at 2.1 kg w/o tripod and head.

Thanks

Phil
    I thought I was clear..... The Gitzo traveler and Acra head together weigh 3.1 lbs. I didn't say that included the weight of an STC and 150mm Digitar and Phase IQ180.

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    Your point is well taken. I guess for me as others have suggested is shot both cameras hand held, same lens and see with my own eyes if I can see the difference.
    I don't question others success they have had hand holding the A7R, yet would they have achieved similar results with the A7?

The A7R reminds of when Nikon came out with the D800 and they published a technical document describing specifically what lens worked, and stressed proper shooting technique, tripod, MLU, etc. This is what prompted me on my original comment. Why would this same advice not apply to the A7R?
    You are right, that Nikon stringent technique advice WOULD apply, same as with the D800/D800E.

IMO, you'd also be right that you very well could get similar results from a 24 meg A7 in some less carefully controlled A7R situations.

The point you are missing is that when you choose to apply stringent technique with the A7R, you cannot match it with the A7. (Plus, one other unknown I'd like to see compared is the higher ISO of the A7 verses that of the A7R. That is the wild card in all this.)

If the A7 is all you need or will ever use, or there is some other criteria like faster AF, the choice is clear.

Otherwise, an A7R user can have his cake and eat it too ... shoot more freely and be at least as good as an A7, shoot more carefully and produce what the A7 cannot.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    Not sure if others have tested this but the A7r's shutter vibration also causes blur issues when used hand-held on certain Canon lenses when image stabilization is enabled.
    Do Canon's IS lenses work with any other maker's cameras?

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Do Canon's IS lenses work with any other maker's cameras?

Graham
    Yes, with Sony NEX and A7/A7R when used with a Metabones MkIII Smart Adapter. This adapter sports aperture control, EXIF and AF (with certain lenses), too.

Edit: Metabone's Speed Booster for EF lenses offers the same features, but is only usable on APC-C cameras (i.e. NEX).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

The point you are missing is that when you choose to apply stringent technique with the A7R, you cannot match it with the A7. (Plus, one other unknown I'd like to see compared is the higher ISO of the A7 verses that of the A7R. That is the wild card in all this.)

If the A7 is all you need or will ever use, or there is some other criteria like faster AF, the choice is clear.

Otherwise, an A7R user can have his cake and eat it too ... shoot more freely and be at least as good as an A7, shoot more carefully and produce what the A7 cannot.

- Marc
    Hi Marc
    I think the point that you're missing is that, if, like Steven and I, you shoot primarily handheld, then there are circumstances when the A7 would appear to produce Better results than the A7r. It's not a cake and eat it situation with the A7r at all, you need to choose your cake with care, because they both have their up and down sides.

Personally I'm pretty certain I'll jump back into the water, but like Steven I'm finding it tough to pick my poison.

I've played with both cameras, and I immediately realised that the shutter on the A7r was relevant to the way I shoot (because I could feel the camera shake!) playing with Matt's A7 briefly was quite different. Of course, there is an argument for Guy's approach (getting both).

All the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    Yes, with Sony NEX and A7/A7R when used with a Metabones MkIII Smart Adapter. This adapter sports aperture control, EXIF and AF (with certain lenses), too.

Edit: Metabone's Speed Booster for EF lenses offers the same features, but is only usable on APC-C cameras (i.e. NEX).
    Hey Ron,

I was aware Canon lenses can be mounted, I was curios if the IS worked with other than Canon cameras?

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ron,

I was aware Canon lenses can be mounted, I was curios if the IS worked with other than Canon cameras?
    Yes, it does - with the adapters I mentioned in my post.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Marc
    I think the point that you're missing is that, if, like Steven and I, you shoot primarily handheld, then there are circumstances when the A7 would appear to produce Better results than the A7r. It's not a cake and eat it situation with the A7r at all, you need to choose your cake with care, because they both have their up and down sides.

Personally I'm pretty certain I'll jump back into the water, but like Steven I'm finding it tough to pick my poison.

I've played with both cameras, and I immediately realised that the shutter on the A7r was relevant to the way I shoot (because I could feel the camera shake!) playing with Matt's A7 briefly was quite different. Of course, there is an argument for Guy's approach (getting both).

All the best
    Jono I think in your case the A7 is the better choice if you still plan to use an adapter for M lenses on occasion. I find that it plays with them better than the A7r (and yes I own both.) That being said the native lenses all produce great results IMO as well. I'm hoping the 24-70 and 70-200 keep up with this sentiment once released.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are right, that Nikon stringent technique advice WOULD apply, same as with the D800/D800E.

IMO, you'd also be right that you very well could get similar results from a 24 meg A7 in some less carefully controlled A7R situations.

- Marc
    Marc,
    I get it, A7R with excellent technique equals excellent IQ which then the A7 can't mach. This is completely understood even forgetting about shutter vibration issue / non issue.

Though for my needs, handheld, maximum print size 20x30 I feel the A7 fits my needs.

I have a large investment in A mount glass, and will wait and see what Sony announces in 2014, I'm hoping for a 36mp A99

If I didn't have a big investment in A glass, I would have gone for the A7R.
    Yeah I know I could get the Sony laea3 or 4 adaptor, but to me, then all of the sudden the A7 series looses it appeal, using a tripod becomes almost a must.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Jono I think in your case the A7 is the better choice if you still plan to use an adapter for M lenses on occasion. I find that it plays with them better than the A7r (and yes I own both.) That being said the native lenses all produce great results IMO as well. I'm hoping the 24-70 and 70-200 keep up with this sentiment once released.
    HI There
    . . . but in the end I don't plan to use an adapter for M lenses - because as far as I can see, the A7 provides no advantages in terms of IQ, and the A7r provides no advantages in terms of operation (and some disadvantages in terms of IQ). Of course, I already have an M which I'm not planning on selling - if I didn't, then I think your assessment is just right.

I am planning on using mostly native lenses, but also probably some R lenses and some Contax Zeiss lenses via an adapter - Really the camera's only excuse for me is to provide the longer focal lengths, which the M and lenses is not ideal for. . . . . but I don't use a tripod . . . ever - I do have good hand holding technique though, and I expect to see no camera shake in my M photos and I understand very clearly what I can get away with in terms of focal length and shutter speed.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    I get it, A7R with excellent technique equals excellent IQ which then the A7 can't mach. This is completely understood even forgetting about shutter vibration issue / non issue.

Though for my needs, handheld, maximum print size 20x30 I feel the A7 fits my needs.

I have a large investment in A mount glass, and will wait and see what Sony announces in 2014, I'm hoping for a 36mp A99

If I didn't have a big investment in A glass, I would have gone for the A7R.
    Yeah I know I could get the Sony laea3 or 4 adaptor, but to me, then all of the sudden the A7 series looses it appeal, using a tripod becomes almost a must.

Steven
    Got it.

I have applied the opposite logic. I also have a large investment in A glass and an A99, so 24 meg is already covered with a fast AF camera and dual card slots, etc. The A7 would have been a bit redundant except for the size factor.

So, what the A7R beings to the party is 36 meg and higher ISO capability than the A99 ... and I've since discovered that hand-holding with the LA-EA4 adapter yields fine images for my typical applications ... and unlike the A99 I can use some of my M lenses like the M50/0.95 on the A7R which is easier to manually focus in lower light than the M240 I tried a few weeks ago.

However, I don't normally print many 35mm images beyond 16 X 20 on a 17 X 20 paper, so my criteria is different.

If Sony updates the A99 with a 36 meg sensor, at least you and I now know what to look for.

I'll stand pat for now and see what they do next.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if printing to 30" and no larger, I'd stick with the A7 and not bother with the R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Yes, if printing to 30" and no larger, I'd stick with the A7 and not bother with the R
    Here's the thing. If you don't get the A7r you'll never know what you missed. As a chap who had the A7 and changed it for the A7r I have some experience.

The difference in resolution is amazing and using the 55/1.8 FE, as an example, the images are so sharp. Even with Leica lenses, which are being dissed by almost everyone, I find the quality as good as the M240.

Of course, there will be the nay sayers; there always is. Those are usually the people who didn't get the A7r (but secretly covet it).
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The A7r also has a 1/3 stop noise advantage over the A7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wuffstuff View Post
    Here's the thing. If you don't get the A7r you'll never know what you missed. As a chap who had the A7 and changed it for the A7r I have some experience.

The difference in resolution is amazing and using the 55/1.8 FE, as an example, the images are so sharp. Even with Leica lenses, which are being dissed by almost everyone, I find the quality as good as the M240.

Of course, there will be the nay sayers; there always is. Those are usually the people who didn't get the A7r (but secretly covet it).
    You know and I am dead serious it's not a bad idea to have both even as a hobbyist if you get the A7r for the extra 1700 for the A7 is not such a bad idea. First a lot if folks are buying expensive glass to begin with maybe think in terms of the A7 as your fast cam with AF for those times a A7 may make more sense like a A7 and the small 35 FE makes a perfect travel walkabout unit and you A7r for manual focus lenses and when you want the highest quality. I have both but can't go by me per say since I work for clients and many needs but it's not such a bad idea and you have a backup or shoot two cams at once doing street work or weddings, parties and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a former professional press and wedding photographer it's my view that knowing the equipment and having confidence in it is as important as the image quality. Now that I'm an amateur I don't care so much about quality, but I do like detail. The A7r detail is extraordinary.

I'm not yet confident with the camera and it definitely has it's faults. But, I had many, many years with blads (and I bet you all did) and they had so many faults that in the end I got used to them and accepted them as normal.

For me this new camera feels like an actual game changer. Small, light and very high resolution. The grip helps for me. Even the daft apps are a bit helpful. I've not experienced a camera like this before and I've had them all.

We'll see in time whether we are all just beta testers for the next iteration, as were were with the M8, M9 and now we are with the M (240).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure if others have tested this but the A7r's shutter vibration also causes blur issues when used hand-held on certain Canon lenses when image stabilization is enabled.
    I think you have confirmed that Canon's IS shouldn't be used with this camera... I'm unsure why anyone would assume that it would actually work correctly anyway (without testing it). Just because the lens is powered, doesn't mean the IS is doing the right thing, and it appears that it is actually exacerbating the movement (probably because the camera is light enough that the sped of the acceleration and deceleration is faster than Canon can compensate for).

It appears to me that most people are fretting about this as if the camera is supposed to accommodate poor technique. What happened to shooting with a properly braced camera/lens? Just because we don't have mirror slap anymore, doesn't mean that we are absolved from applying good shooting technique.

Brace the camera properly, and this won't be an issue. Don't just dampen it with weight (although that may actually resolve it mostly, and well enough for most people).

Good shooting practice dictates that you do not cantilever the camera off the back of an inadequate support. Anyone who has shot super telephotos (and also large format and ultra large format shooters) can tell you that, because the images are easily improved with proper support technique.

Would it be nice if the shutter were fully electronic, YES. But it is not, and therefore, we have to deal with moving parts and bracing to get the most out of the system.

The fact that the camera is so light actually makes the effect more apparent, and the need for proper bracing techniques to avoid the problems more necessary.

It sure would have been nice to have them put in-camera ISS in, like the a900 has.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

I suspect you won't have to wait long...

I debated holding off on this as well, but I decided to go for the a7r as an ultralight alternate to the SLR form cameras. I may regret that, who knows. Plus, I really want to get some TS lenses and start shooting architectural again more seriously, and the a7r will permit that to occur whereas the A-mount would not, I don't think.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    I think you have confirmed that Canon's IS shouldn't be used with this camera... I'm unsure why anyone would assume that it would actually work correctly anyway (without testing it). Just because the lens is powered, doesn't mean the IS is doing the right thing, and it appears that it is actually exacerbating the movement (probably because the camera is light enough that the sped of the acceleration and deceleration is faster than Canon can compensate for).
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to work on the A7r since it works fine on the A7 and APS-C NEX bodies. Also, the problem may not be limited to third-party image stabilization - the A7/A7r wont even let you enable OSS on a large number of E-Mount lenses, including the 18-55, 55-210, and I believe the 16-70 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wuffstuff View Post

Actually I do no what I am missing. Since having owned a D800/E and all Zeiss MF glass, yeah it was nice but always required top notch technique.
    If I want to go that route I still use my Medium Format setup that IMHO smokes the D800/E.

The A7R is for sure an awesome camera. No question. Maybe I will look at it again in the future and when the price comes down which I am sure it will.

I still like to shoot long glass to for landscapes 200mm and since there is no native FE long glass yet, which I doubt there will ever be, because of just the near size of even a 200/4 FF lens, and looking at these images of different peoples Nikon F or Leica R Glass adaptor sitting on a RRS rail, etc, to much hassle for me.

Lets not forget before the A7 series came out everyone was writing Sony off completely now everybody wants one and its also funny that not to long ago most people hated EVF, now everyone wants one for manual focusing. When I sold my D800/e earlier this year and switched to the Sony A99 everyone probably though I was crazy, but you know what for me it was a great move, I love to manual focus, and the Nikon OVF 36mp was not happening on top of the LV implementation was also bad. So for me, yeah I currently own 2 24mp cameras, one small and one well kind of bigger but has a mature lens eco system where the other is just a starting off.

There is no right or wrong here. Just different strokes for different folks. Now I just wish I was back in Telluride where there is endless shooting opportunities as here in Park City, not so much.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still like to shoot long glass to for landscapes 200mm and since there is no native FE long glass yet, which I doubt there will ever be, because of just the near size of even a 200/4 FF lens, and looking at these images of different peoples Nikon F or Leica R Glass adaptor sitting on a RRS rail, etc, to much hassle for me.
    and me too.

Lets not forget before the A7 series came out everyone was writing Sony off completely now everybody wants one and its also funny that not to long ago most people hated EVF, now everyone wants one for manual focusing. When I sold my D800/e earlier this year and switched to the Sony A99 everyone probably though I was crazy, but you know what for me it was a great move, I love to manual focus, and the Nikon OVF 36mp was not happening on top of the LV implementation was also bad. So for me, yeah I currently own 2 24mp cameras, one small and one well kind of bigger but has a mature lens eco system where the other is just a starting off.
    Again - quite agree - EVF is great, both for manual focus and for getting a 'feel' of the image. . . Sony have consistently taken the next step forward over the last year or so - me? I did the A900, A77, A65 - I missed the A99, and I still rather regret it, and I regret selling the glass even more.

There is no right or wrong here. Just different strokes for different folks.
    Indeed - and the who-hah about shutter vibration has become magnified out of all proportion . . . but that doesn't mean that it's nothing.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bingo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to work on the A7r since it works fine on the A7 and APS-C NEX bodies.
    Why you find it is reasonable to expect component designed for system A to work on system B using link from manufacturer C? You wouldn't expect anti-lock brakes from Honda to work on Toyota, much less if they were hobbled together using bits and pieces from Hyundai, so why you expect Canon image stabilization to work on Sony body using Metabones adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    and me too.

Again - quite agree - EVF is great, both for manual focus and for getting a 'feel' of the image. . . Sony have consistently taken the next step forward over the last year or so - me? I did the A900, A77, A65 - I missed the A99, and I still rather regret it, and I regret selling the glass even more.

Indeed - and the who-hah about shutter vibration has become magnified out of all proportion . . . but that doesn't mean that it's nothing.
    I always feel validated when Juno chimes in. First he is an amazing photographer and I hope one day I get to meet him in person.

Thanks again Jono for all your insightfulness.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got the ZA 85 1.4 with the nice sony adapter put on both cameras for AF. Let me just say this they are NOT worlds apart. Now I don't have the latest and greatest AF in this lens it's still a screw drive but it's pretty fast. These two cameras function pretty close . Yes the A7 is quieter and slightly faster and it does have Phase focusing but I'm not getting rid if the A7r or the A7 either way. Seriously I think the differences between them although they are there is getting blown out of proportion a little, they both feel great. I'm glad I bought them both as even though they act similar they doe have a slight edge either way over the other one. Personally I would not get to hung up because they both are very nice on there own two feet and as brother and sister.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and special color profiles requiring a degree from MIT.
    How to get your degree from MIT in 5 easy steps:

1. Shoot Colorchecker Passport.
    2. Insert card into card reader.
    3. Open XRite software.
    4. Drag DNG into XRite window.
    5. Press button “save”.

From what I have seen it should be worth it to use profiles for the A7 and A7R as well. As with most if not all digital cameras.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutter Shock Example

Details here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/558028-post125.html
    With best regards, K-H.