The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter Vibration

vjbelle

Maybe it is my old eyes, but I have peered at lots of images that were supped to demonstrate shutter vibration blur.
I just don't see it really.
Shutter vibration blur usually has a directional component to it. Consider that the shutter is not bouncing around in all directions and there is no mirror slap to confuse.
What I DO see from time to time is just old fashioned blur, of the sort that you might see in a lens that is not critically focused. I see more generally soft images than I would expect without a hint of directionality to the blur.
Is it just my eyes or is there something with the focus that needs to be worked out?
-bob
You know, Bob, I started this thread and I really feel it has validity. So I tell you what..... you meet me, and anyone else who wants to join, and lets shoot and see .... and I don't mean in your back yard so I have to travel there..... OK?? I got the time and the interest and maybe then you will finally see or maybe I have the only faulty Sony camera.....

Victor

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You know, Bob, I started this thread and I really feel it has validity. So I tell you what..... you meet me, and anyone else who wants to join, and lets shoot and see .... and I don't mean in your back yard so I have to travel there..... OK?? I got the time and the interest and maybe then you will finally see or maybe I have the only faulty Sony camera.....

Victor
Victor,
I don't doubt you for a moment, it is just that as far as the raw files I have seen so far, they don't have that shutter vibration characteristic to them. It could be that it is multi-axis, or perhaps related to orientation, but is just looks a bit different from all the other examples I have looked at.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, just to show how minimal blur is with the FE55 here are 300% crops. There is no focus difference present.

Look at the far left side of the label. There is a yellow bar, then a fine black line, then a broader yellow area. That fine black line is blurred a bit at 1/30. A profile across there shows a degradation of contrast (about 30%) in the black line. I do not see a directional component. On my monitor, moire is also a little bit more moire evident in the half second image, as you would expect.

Before everyone dismisses me as a hopeless pixel peeper let me stress that I am not showing this as an example of blur that I fault Sony for. Again, this was done with lousy mounting, there has been no sharpening, and who cares about flaws only visible at high zooms anyway? I cannot tell the difference in blind comparisons at 100%, and that is my own test for whether the blur matters. The FE55 meets my criteria for a "keeper".

OK, I admit it. I'm a hopeless peeper and will seek professional help.
We should offer a 12 step program for that. I would be the first enrollee.
-bob

fmueller

I hate testing. It knocks me out of the "zone." It crushes all creativity.

I am now waiting for my third copy of the 35 FE trying to get one that is right. This has never happened to me with any lens before in 30 years of photography or maybe I was too inept to notice... As for shutter shake, I believe it was Michael Reichmann that said something to the effect of "work around it."To some that may seem flippant, to others that is the common sense solution to a problem that requires searching to reveal.

I had a minor issue with focus accuracy on my M9 which sucked the joy and creativity out of that while I was getting it sorted out also.

I have a better appreciation for my Canon 5D3 on which everything just always seems to work, even if I am using a sensor and technology that makes the most fastidious gear reviewers sneer in disgust.

Can't say I enjoy testing at all, it's a necessary evil. Once it's out the way then hopefully I can set about allowing the camera to become an extension of my mind. That's the idea at any rate. I get really frustrated going through the testing time, especially when it takes often years to get a problem worked out. It took a couple of years to get all the AF niggles sorted out on my 5D's before it was working properly and I could just allow it to to what I'm telling it to do. Far more frustrating though as a pro, tools have to work or you don't eat. Now with this camera I have the luxury to take my time.

Last edited:

algrove

My conclusion, incidentally is that I will not hesitate to use any of these lenses on the a7r (subject to LCC for the wides) hand held, because I'd be using faster speeds anyway to avoid shake. The M glass is so sharp at wide apertures, the high ISO of the a7r so clean, what's not to like?

The only thing I don't understand is why it's about as loud as my a900 which has an articulated mirror to raise as well as a shutter. Go figure.

Bill

You did not mention the M-E adapter you used. Thanks.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

It is the Metabones. It is a VERY tight fit. I'll probably get the Novoflex when B&H has them in stock, and I'll relegate the Metabones to duty with my odd screw mount lens. (I have a screw to M bayonet adapter already).

The Metabones does focus to infinity but I feel the fit is too tight - I feel like I'm arm wrestling to change lenses!

vjbelle

Bill,

Just because it has the Novoflex name doesn't mean it can't be faulty. I purchased a Novoflex Nikon F to E mount that was faulty. My Voightlander VM adapter is as good as it gets..... you should consider one and save a couple of bucks.

Victor

fmueller

Bill,

Just because it has the Novoflex name doesn't mean it can't be faulty. I purchased a Novoflex Nikon F to E mount that was faulty. My Voightlander VM adapter is as good as it gets..... you should consider one and save a couple of bucks.

Victor

Very pleased with my Voigtlander adapter for A7r. I have a novoflex for mft and outward fit and finish between the two are indistinguishable.

Fred

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Good advice, thank you. I'll troll through B&H to see if I can find one. I have a Voigtlander 12 mm Heliar and some other accessories and am very pleased with them. Their 21 mm accessory VF for Leica is much better than Leica's.