The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 5.3 released

tashley

Subscriber Member
First look it seems to me as if the orange peel issue remains unchanged (I can't say it bothers me too much) but that the 'jaggies' may be better. I am going to do a proper side by side test.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I did some extensive testing with files of different sorts and I see no difference. My early optimism was based on Retina display, where the jags are hard to see. On a 100dpi monitor, they are there and they are unchanged, as is the look of the Orange peel. Neither is a biggie for me, but I can see that some people might find them bothersome.

Ron Pfister

Tim, after reading about Sony's cRAW compression, I believe both types of artifacts are due to that, and only a truly lossless compression would alleviate them.

tashley

Subscriber Member
You're probably right. My reading didn't lead me to that conclusion but there is clearly something different with the a7R versus D800E and the pipeline is the main suspect. My understanding was that the compression process would not affect normal scenes at all but...

hcubell

FWIW, the image processing pipeline for a new camera is always a work in process. There are firmware modifications and improvements in the way the raw converters handle the files. I vaguely remember a while back that one of the Phase One backs had some really weird stuff going on in the shadows when it was first released, and it was later corrected. The P45, I think.