The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, are you bothered?

pozzello

A straw poll of owners and would-be owners of the A7R:

Orange peel effect
Jaggies
Shutter sound
Shutter vibrations
Colour shading with native lenses if you have them and with non-native lenses if you have tried them.

I'll start, next post.
I've had the A7R for a week.

Haven't noticed any orange peel effect
I like the shutter sound
I haven't seen any jaggies with IDC
Slightly disappointed with color shading with Elmarit-M 24 and edge smearing at wider apertures but I haven't tried it with the flat field plugin / LCC

Overall the camera exceeds my expectations and I particularly like the performance with the Canon TS-E 24mm.

The camera is flimsy and I don't like the feel of any of the buttons - it's kind of like eating with plastic utensils.

algrove

Only the mentioned bothered me

Held a7r for 10 days
Trouble focusing well with R lenses
Shutter vibration less than ideal
Smearing of M lenses making some unusable.

I live amongst oranges in Florida so I would not want to upset them with any comment about their skin.

cunim

The only two that really bother me are corner smearing and shutter vibration. This camera is nice as a toy and lots of fun figuring out its little secrets, but very demanding to get all it's potential. If I have to work that hard I'll stick with MF.

Amin

A straw poll of owners and would-be owners of the A7R:

Please state if you are
An owner (and for how long now)
Have ordered and not yet taken delivery
A prospective owner
I have a review copy of the A7R due to arrive tomorrow, and I'm considering buying it.

Orange peel effect - not bothered by this
Jaggies - not bothered by this
Shutter sound - suboptimal but acceptable in a full frame camera with 1/8000s shutter speed
Shutter vibrations - not bothered by this
Color shading and corner smearing - comes with the territory

jfzander

Owner

Orange peel effect Not affected
Jaggies didn't notice
Shutter sound Don't understand the problem. I like it. Clack Clack. The 5DIII, that sounded strange.

Shutter vibrations No problem.
Colour shading with native lenses if you have them and with non-native lenses if you have tried them. No problem

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you to everyone for these replies. I think a very clear message is coming from all this!

retow

I have the A7r for about 3 weeks.
Color shading,
Corner & edge smearing
with Leica m lenses bother me, particularly with wider ones as the A7r was planned as the replacement for the M9. As things are, I use it now with the Sonnar T FE35, MF Nikkors and a few selected m-lenses, including ZM 50 Sonnar, 75 Summarit. And the M9 will not be send to retirement. The rest of the listed "warts" is not of concern to me.

fultonpics

have the a7r and sony 35

works great

love: being able to shoot an image and immediately send via wifi from a phone--use this all the time for test shots.

small

fun camera and easier than carrying around the 1Dx's and lens!

m_driscoll

Got an A7 and 28-70mm kit lens on the 29th and flew to London on the 1st. Returned to Seattle on the 12th and picked up an A7r and 35mm f/2.8 today. Haven't shot the A7r and I'm just processing the A7 photos. My initial impression is that I like the A7 and "kit" lens, a lot.

A7:
Orange peel effect -maybe a bit on underexposed shots
Jaggies - No
Shutter sound -No
Shutter vibrations - No
Colour shading with native lenses if you have them and with non-native lenses if you have tried them - Haven't noticed
Corner/edge smearing - Jono showed me this with photos from his A7r. Haven't noticed it with the A7

I'll comment on the A7r after I have some experience with it.

Cheers, Matt

iiiNelson

Got an A7 and the A7r should be here in the morning. More to report after I get more hands on time but so far so good with a few test shots around the house. The camera seems to naturally overexpose a bit but I'm also a "shoot to the left" guy. I rather lose some shadow detail than blow highlights.

Annna T

Got an A7 and the A7r should be here in the morning. More to report after I get more hands on time but so far so good with a few test shots around the house. The camera seems to naturally overexpose a bit but I'm also a "shoot to the left" guy. I rather lose some shadow detail than blow highlights.
I would love to hear more about how the A7 compares to the A7R. The 7R seems to get all the buzz right now, but it is too many pixels for my needs. What interests me more is how your wa lenses compares when put on those two cameras.

W.Utsch

Have the A7R from November 19.

Orange peel effect: NO, dont overdo sharpening!
Jaggies: NO, on prints up to A2 absolutely nothing
Shutter sound: No problem
Shutter vibrations: Its me with "vibes"
Colour shading with native lenses if you have them and with non-native lenses if you have tried them: Native FE35 - NO, some M-lenses oc. as expected.

jonoslack

A7 vs A7r - print size

Just a thought you know. When we talk about MP we are fundamentally speaking in terms of area (24mp, 36mp) and there is an instinctive feeling that the ratio will be relevant to print size (so if 24" is okay with 24mp then 36" will be okay with 36mp). Of course this isn't right - probably everybody else realises this, but it's something that just occurred to me recently.

In fact - we speak of print sizes as a linear measurement, and the truth is that

if 24mp is good for a 24" print,
then 36mp will be good for a 29.5" print.

it's a simple linear relationship - A7 = 6000 pixels wide A7r = 7360.

Of course, the lack of an AA filter in the A7r may have an effect - but then the bigger pixels of the A7 might have an effect too.

All the best

Ron Pfister

Thanks for pointing this out, Jono! I fully agree with your statement in general, but would like to add that for me personally, 24MP is already good enough for a 36" print. I am very happy with the 36" prints I've made of images taken with the NEX-7. Granted, they don't have that LF-contact-sheet-insane-hyper-realism, but they're still very, very detailed. I have yet to print a 24x36" image taken with the A7R, but I expect the results to be highly satisfactory (at least to my eyes)...

jonoslack

Thanks for pointing this out, Jono! I fully agree with your statement in general, but would like to add that for me personally, 24MP is already good enough for a 36" print. I am very happy with the 36" prints I've made of images taken with the NEX-7. Granted, they don't have that LF-contact-sheet-insane-hyper-realism, but they're still very, very detailed. I have yet to print a 24x36" image taken with the A7R, but I expect the results to be highly satisfactory (at least to my eyes)...
HI Ron
I completely agree - it was only an example of the ratio, and a point of my bad thinking!

if 24mp is good for 36" prints then 36mp is good for 44"

iiiNelson

I would love to hear more about how the A7 compares to the A7R. The 7R seems to get all the buzz right now, but it is too many pixels for my needs. What interests me more is how your wa lenses compares when put on those two cameras.
From what I've seen and read the A7 is a bit more forgiving with rangefinder wides in general. That being said some wides are just "better" than others so judge/ pick according to YOUR kit. That being said I don't think one could go wrong either way. Both seem highly capable of producing a satisfying image.

vjbelle

36 inch prints from a 24mp image are at the outer limits for me and very dependent on subject matter. My rule of thumb is to stop at 1.5 times native size.

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
Beware that impression: it regularly underexposes by between 1/2 and 1 2/3rds stops, it just has very paranoid blinkies. The sensor has, probably for processing pipeline issues, noisier shadows than a D800 so it is vital to expose more to the right than you'd think… as long as you are shooting RAW, that is...