Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A7R - time to buy some glass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7R - time to buy some glass!

I currently have the A7R and 35FE. It is a nice all-rounder with good performance, with the shortcomings that have been described very well by Tim on his blog - thanks for all that work Tim.

My main objective for this camera was a high-quality camera for travel. I felt I could finally use fast manual focus lenses with a great and practical solution for manual focussing via the EVF, peaking and magnification. So far, I can focus my Coastal Optics lens much better on this camera via the EVF than I can using the OVF on my D800E. So I am confident that I can manually focus fast lenses with a good degree of confidence. On the D800E, I only feel this way when using LV on the rear LCD. On the M9, I never felt confident but then again, I never got used to the RF focussing. Additionally, the EVF image, like the LV image is what is on the sensor, eliminating focus shift issues on most fast lenses.

Faster lenses also tend to be heavier, but range finder lenses are still a lot more compact when considering SLR lenses and the associated adapters.

So now to the point, and appreciate your thoughts. This is not my primary system, some compromises are acceptable:

1. CV 21 1.8 ASPH - fast, large, good build, appears not to have colour cast issues. Alternatives would be Zeiss 21mm or Leica 21/3.4 - both smaller, but with colour issues and certainly slower. WATE is an option, but much slower.

2. CV 35 1.2 II ASPH - I had the Lux 35FLE on my M9 and loved it. But this CV has some glowing reviews and is a lot cheaper.

3. CV 50 1.5 ASPH - this one is tougher, looks like a good match for the above 2 and good performance. The LUX 50 ASPH was one of my favourite lenses on the M9. Again, a lot more expensive.

4. CV 75 F1.8 or Summicron 90 APO. Again, I loved the Cron on my M9, but could never get focus right. The CV costs far less, but cannot get any info on performance. The CV is a little shorter than I'd like as well.

Would appreciate comments from anyone that have tried these on the A7R or other bodies. There are some reviews on Stevehuff, ReidReviews and Diglloyd I have read as well.

BTW, the CV lenses all appear to be retro-focus designs, and perhaps one of the reasons there are favourable experiences reported. I just have no personal experience with these.

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7R - time to buy some glass!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

21 and 24 Summilux also seem to perform well on the A7R.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    21 and 24 Summilux also seem to perform well on the A7R.
    I had the 24Lux on the M9, and it is great lens. Just a lot of coin

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't familiar with the CV lenses (in fact, had no idea what CV stood for so had to Google it!).

Anyone know how the 12/5.6 performs on the A7r?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald, that one is a no go. When C1 supports A7R files, perhaps LCC will save the day, assuming there is not too much smearing in the corners. I had this lens on the M9, and it had severe casts there as well.

Some A7R samples here:

Sony A7r with Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Test Sample Images |ThaiPhotos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Gerald, that one is a no go. When C1 supports A7R files, perhaps LCC will save the day, assuming there is not too much smearing in the corners. I had this lens on the M9, and it had severe casts there as well.

Some A7R samples here:

Sony A7r with Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Test Sample Images |ThaiPhotos
    Hmm. Doesn't look toooo bad compared to what I've seen with extreme shifts on some glass on the IQ180 - certainly would expect it to clear up with an LCC.

Lightroom does LCC correction (or something similar) too now though, yes? Would be interesting to see how it copes.

Many thanks for the prompt reply and the samples - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

From my testing, I can't recommend the ZM 21 you mentioned as an alternative. Will require quite some work in post to look acceptable.

Here a list of compact SLR primes that I'm using on the A7R and I'm very happy with:

- Zeiss C/Y 2.8/28
    - Leica-R 2/35 E55
    - Leica-R 2/50 E55
    - Zeiss C/Y 2.8/85

You could substitute the Leica lenses with the corresponding Zeiss C/Y offerings, and you'd have a very nice, light-weight and reasonably inexpensive kit.

Edit: I should add that with tis kit, you wouldn't have any purple or mushy corners - guaranteed. Also worth noting is the difference in minimum object distance between SLR and RF lenses. Depending on your style of shooting, that's a serious consideration.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No interest in the 55mm FE?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    No interest in the 55mm FE?
    Perhaps when it is out. Can't say for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post

- Zeiss C/Y 2.8/28
    - Leica-R 2/35 E55
    - Leica-R 2/50 E55
    - Zeiss C/Y 2.8/85
    Agree with you on the ZM21 based on samples I have seen. On the CY and Leica R lenses, are we not back to using larger adapters as well? The adapter I have for my Nikon glass adds over an inch, and the lenses of course are larger too.

I will look again at the specific lenses you have listed hear, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

On the CY and Leica R lenses, are we not back to using larger adapters as well? The adapter I have for my Nikon glass adds over an inch, and the lenses of course are larger too.
    True, but you only need one adapter for all these lenses (if you go for C/Y throughout), meaning that your kit stays very compact overall. And I have to say that ergonomically, I have grown to like that extra inch of distance between camera body and aperture/focusing ring a lot. For me, it's actually considerably better this way than on an SLR body, but I have fairly large hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hmm. Doesn't look toooo bad compared to what I've seen with extreme shifts on some glass on the IQ180 - certainly would expect it to clear up with an LCC.

Gerald.
    Gerald, after all that money we have thrown at tech cams and Rodie lenses, I'm sure dropping 700bucks on a CV12 would be worth the test. I am going to wait for C1 support first though. I don't want to go an learn another RAW converter, and from what I have seen, the LR process is a little more involved with various adjustments. I like the reference shot on a white card with C1 as it also fixes other things like dust.

Looking forward to how go things on your end. BTW, although bulky, I think your 24TSE also makes a great combo on the A7R.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The assumption I see everyone making with the A7 and A7r is that one should adapt Leica M mount lenses to them. Personally, I think this is less than optimal ... Until Sony/Zeiss has the dedicated lens line available to do the job best, I would adapt SLR lenses whenever practical as I have found, from my experience adapting lenses to digital bodies, they are generally a better performing adaptation.

The CV 21/1.8 and CV 35/1.2 are unique and may work well. If they didn't, well, the Zeiss FE lens available from Sony is probably excellent, and for a 21mm there are a lot of SLR choices although not as fast as f/1.8.

For fast 50mm and 90mm lens, however, I'd look for a Leica R Summicron or Summilux 50mm and a Summicron 90mm. These lenses are terrific quality, have the "Leica rendering signature" and sell for very reasonable prices.

That's what I'd do if I bought an A7/A7r while waiting for the Sony/Zeiss offerings to appear.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The assumption I see everyone making with the A7 and A7r is that one should adapt Leica M mount lenses to them. Personally, I think this is less than optimal ... Until Sony/Zeiss has the dedicated lens line available to do the job best, I would adapt SLR lenses whenever practical as I have found, from my experience adapting lenses to digital bodies, they are generally a better performing adaptation.

Your opinion. My experience contradicts that.

M-Rokkors 28,40 and 90 make fabulous combo with the A7R but of course it will be way beneath the price point of this thread standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald, after all that money we have thrown at tech cams and Rodie lenses, I'm sure dropping 700bucks on a CV12 would be worth the test. I am going to wait for C1 support first though. I don't want to go an learn another RAW converter, and from what I have seen, the LR process is a little more involved with various adjustments. I like the reference shot on a white card with C1 as it also fixes other things like dust.

Looking forward to how go things on your end. BTW, although bulky, I think your 24TSE also makes a great combo on the A7R.

Cheers,
    Agreed on all counts!

The 24TSE behaves extremely well on the a7r. I've not done any "proper" testing, but am happy with the snaps that have come out of the combo so far.

I can also recommend old Mamiya lenses via a Mirex T/S adapter (to Canon) for some fun and games

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the A7r last week and still have my stable of M lenses and a M240 to compare to. Sadly I only did one quick comparison before breaking my ankle on Monday leaving me unable to do anymore testing.

In my one quick test with the lens detection turned OFF on the M240 I found the wides to be fairly disappointing on the A7r. The CV12 was pretty bad, I'll try to post an example but the 21 SEM and 18 weren't great either (both from color shift, vignetting and edge resolution loss).

However, one bright spot has been the longer lenses. My 50 Noct has been glued to this camera for the last few days and its been incredible to use. Focusing is considerably easier and the results are gorgeous. I am tempted to pick up a 90 APO now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    I got the A7r last week and still have my stable of M lenses and a M240 to compare to. Sadly I only did one quick comparison before breaking my ankle on Monday leaving me unable to do anymore testing.
    Aravind, when you start breaking bones, it is good indication of too much gear Hope you are better soon.

Diglloyd posted some samles on the SEM 21/24 and they have issues up into f11. This was my main reason at looking at the CV lenses. The Leica APO is a beautiful lens.

Post Thanks / Like

If the CV 21 f/1.8 is a winner, I just might have to pick one up
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote against M-lenses on the A7R (paid subscription required):

diglloyd blog - Leica 75mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH on Sony A7R (Pescadero Creek Redwoods)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to use my Nikon mounts for now. Especially my Leica 19r and my Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 135mm all Nikon mounts. Either going to get the nova flex adapter or metabones. Now I read some discrepancy on that on another thread. Oh and I think I bought a ar7 waiting word from a member. Sooner than I wanted to go for it but its worth a try.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think M glass is useable depending on how critical on desires their IQ or how much one shoots landscape type scenes. I'm more of a people photog and didn't "see" many issues wih M glass until I really started tearing images apart. I ended up with the A7 as it plays much better with m lenses, is cheaper, and quieter/less shutter vibration, with 24 more forgiving megapixels. However, I do miss the resolution of the R, but I am thrilled at home useable my M lenses are with this set.

On thing out the Noct f/0.95 on the R- watch for CA....it's nasty on that sensor
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like I'll be joining the party. LOL

I really need my head examined.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with those putting a question-mark behind m-lenses on the A7r. It`s too much of a trial and error and distracting from taking pictures. I rediscovered MF Nikkors and think they are great on the A7r.
    A Noct-Nikkor 58 1.2 will arrive next week. A 105 f2.5 and 85 f2 are already in use. For comparison, the Nikkor 85 f2 is a bargain compared to a Leica 90mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my results with the CV 12:

On the M240:

On the A7r:

To me the M240 images are usable straight from camera, the A7r usable but only with LCC.

This was with a white diffuser in front of the lens (wasn't large enough to block all the reflections, hence some on the edges).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm going to use my Nikon mounts for now. Especially my Leica 19r and my Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 135mm all Nikon mounts. Either going to get the nova flex adapter or metabones. Now I read some discrepancy on that on another thread. Oh and I think I bought a ar7 waiting word from a member. Sooner than I wanted to go for it but its worth a try.
    I got the Novoflex adaptor and the ring with foot. I've only tested it with the 135 APO and 70-200 f/4 VR so far and it seems to work well. Haven't had a chance to test for vibration issues yet.
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks I'm leaning towards the Novaflex. Now to find more money. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'm leaning towards the Novaflex. Now to find more money. Lol
    Great choice, both adapter and ASTAT-NEX.
    BTW the collar fits the R to E, M to E, and F to E Novoflex adapters.

You may want to take the collar apart and put together so that the tightening screw is on the other side. That way your fingers can get at the camera grip.

Your lenses should be fine on the A7R.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 15th December 2013 at 10:29.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to take the collar apart and put together so that the tightening screw is on the other side. That way your fingers can get at the camera grip.

That's a great tip for every user of this particular collar, K-H.
    One of first things I did too with mine !

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    That's a great tip for every user of this particular collar, K-H.
    One of first things I did too with mine !

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart.
    I did the same as soon as somebody on this forum pointed the way.
    Coming from a pure Leica forum what impresses me is the openmindedness displayed on this forum in general.
    And one can post images taken with all sorts of gear.

With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much. Need to put this in the BS board but I am looking to buy the Novaflex if anyone has one for sale. I think I will just get a small RRS plate for now as well. Than I'll do some testing for everyone

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my first M mount lens today. Largely as a result of Vivek's images, I have a Rokkor 40/2 and Metabones M > E adapter winging their way to me.

Graham

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome, Graham! I was not very clever though. I would like to have another copy of this.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Lloyd Chambers has a nice write up on the Zeiss 35mm FE.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    Here are my results with the CV 12:

On the M240:

On the A7r:

To me the M240 images are usable straight from camera, the A7r usable but only with LCC.

This was with a white diffuser in front of the lens (wasn't large enough to block all the reflections, hence some on the edges).

Tip from a tech cam user. Buff down your LCC material. It really helps taking the reflections out. Steel wool and even sandpaper.

Post Thanks / Like

The R35/2 is definitely a nice fit for the camera. About the same size and maybe? a bit lighter than the CV35/1.2 when the adapters are included.

I haven't spent any quality time with the 35/1.2 on my A7 yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I've seen some great pictures with that combo.

The ZM50/2 appears to be great in my use so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another alternative.

Samyang says five of its full frame lenses now available in Sony E mount: Digital Photography Review

Edit: these lenses are *big* with their barrel extensions. Personally, I'd prefer to use an adapter with the Nikon-F version.
    Last edited by Ron Pfister; 17th December 2013 at 03:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seeing all this and reading some of the stuff on Diglloyd, maybe the best option is native glass. I cannot help but thing that every manufacturer now cooks RAW files in-camera before we even get our hands on them to fine-tune for specific shortcomings in the hardware and of course the limits of optics and physics. May also explain why we never settled on a RAW/DNG standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played with the 28-70 in the store the other day and it was nice. Not sure it works on the R version though but I am tempted for sure to get the 35FE. Would like to have at least one with AF ability and it looks good as far as IQ. Problem is the 24-70 makes more sense but we have to wait and waiting for me is like pulling wisdom teeth out. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My stuff comes this week so hope to get out and play. Need to figure out if I'm all in or not before I get crazy with glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice side-by-site test of 4 different 50mm M-lenses here:

diglloyd blog - Shootout: Four 50mm Rangefinder Lenses on the Sony A7R

The gist: the AA Cron unsurprisingly takes the cake, but the ZM 2/50 comes very close between f/4-8 - and costs 1/8th!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought the 14 Rokinon, the 55 FE off Amazon today, and traded my A77 for a 35FE (whenever that comes in.) I'll probably get the LA-E4 and keep my 70-200/2.8 for those rare occasions I need crap that long and of course there's still my M kit.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally, I was hoping to use my Contax G lenses and Leica R lenses on the A7r. Now, it seems Leica R lenses are my only hopes for new Sony. For Leica M glasses, I still prefer using them on M9 and M240.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the Leica 28-35-50mm? I have had very good results with the Leica 16-18-21mm. Some vignetting but otherwise no major complaints. Sharp edge to edge very little flair or fringing. My CZ 18mm/3.5 (Nikon mount) is also good but much more flaring. I am using Nikon Metabones and Leica M voigtlander adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Leica 28-35-50mm? I have had very good results with the Leica 16-18-21mm. Some vignetting but otherwise no major complaints. Sharp edge to edge very little flair or fringing. My CZ 18mm/3.5 (Nikon mount) is also good but much more flaring. I am using Nikon Metabones and Leica M voigtlander adapter.
    Michael has some samples on LULA with that lens. Look at his latest as well as two previous ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

THE FINAL VERDICT .... for me for now

Stick with native Sony Zeiss Lenses:

I just got my 55 FE and looks great. Light, fantastic wide open, no adapters, AF etc. etc. Along with the 35FE, it is a great kit and I will patiently await a 21 or 24 in this line.

Here's my rationale:

1. There appear to be several issues even with 50mm M-mount lenses - Diglloyd just posted some samples with the Leica 50 Lux, Nocti, Cron ASPH and Zeiss 50/2. All appear to have issues of one sort or another. For the money and hassle of an adapter, not sure it is worth it.

2. If you already have these lenses, then by all means, the $300 cost of an adapter is no big deal.

3. DSLR lenses appear to work better, but negate the size advantage with the size of the lenses themselves, and the relatively large adapter needed. Again, in my case, I just got the Novoflex NikonG/Nex adapter and $300 is no biggie for the flexibility of using Nikon glass in a pinch. But I would not go out and buy DSLR lenses for this purpose. I'm sure there are others that have older and smaller MF glass where this may make sense. Also lenses highly specialized lenses like the Canon 24 TSE II have similar appeal for various folks.

4. I do believe there is a lot of RAW file cooking going on in camera. This is not true just of sony, but for all manufacturers. One of the reasons for the success of the Sigma Merill (the fixed lens ones) and the Sony RX1/RX1R is that the manufacturer has far more control of the full image processing workflow. To further this cause, lens profiles etc. available in C1, LR and other RAW converters further augment this. However, this is only possible when manufactures work together with access to each other's technologies. Again, this cannot happen in an open-ended model such as when using any 3rd party lens.

5. The only exception to the above is tech lenses and tech cams with MFDBs. In this case, I think the lens designs are so basic and pure that we have workable solutions, BUT, even in this case, we do a lot of manual processing with LCCs etc. to get the final result.

6. If Zeiss/Sigma etc. release native FE lenses it is likely that LR, C1 and other RAW processors will have lens profile support, even if Sony itself does not provide the additional "cooking" in-camera. With Zeiss, they might. If this happens, then we will have an alternative MF set of lenses for the FE mount. Even better would be if Sony white-labels/OEMs the A7/R to Zeiss for new IKON, and we would have a great platform with native Zeiss MF lenses.

7. For me, this was a small go-to kit for casual work. In keeping with that, I think FE native lenses make the most sense.

So there it is. Of course, this might change, but I though I'd share my perspective since I started this thread, and several people have contributed so well.

Notwithstanding any of this very rational thinking, Guy is supposedly getting his A7 today, so he could re-ignite the arms race all over again

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually have the A7r sitting here and waiting on my adapter and to be real honest what you all are not seeing on the forum yet is a Nikon Fire sale as i may just completely switch. Ill get another body a A7 with the zoom which I will trade out later when the 24-70 comes out but I am at least getting the 55mm and flash and i may either go with a FE 35mm or a Zeiss 35mm F2 in Nikon mount( tough call they are both good). My idea is A7R for manual work, clients, landscapes and such and use the A7 for PR work. Its almost like having a D600 and D800e the way i got this figured out. This could also be a big mistake, so i need to decide and decide quick. I have a really big gig starting Jan1 but I don't shoot until the 6th. I have a headache

Actually I tend to agree with you on almost all counts. I would stay with DSLR lenses as much as you can. There simple is no reason to be out shooting LCC and plugins to correct **** when Zeiss has some really nice glass in DSLR mounts that are very good the 18mm, 25mm F2 and 35mm F2 are hard to beat in the DSLR mount. But on the same hand these FE 35mm and 55mm look very good. Also those Zeiss glass I just mentioned are very small. About the only thing I'm giving up is my Sigma 35mm 1.4 but I am keeping in my Nikon mount the Zeiss 135 and Leica 19mm. Reason I am thinking the 25 and 35mm Zeiss glass in Nikon is than I will have 4 Nikon mounts for one adapter only and in case i want to go back i have the glass in place and all of them are outstanding on any system.

Post Thanks / Like

Jag, I am starting to come to a similar conclusion, except the 50 Noct though, it is a f'ing brilliant on the A7r but my usage pattern is different from Lloyd, I want to photograph people in low light, handheld (not landscapes on a tripod). I wouldn't put any wide Ms on there, but I did get a 90 'cron APO to try out. I decided to get both the 35 and 55 based on how good the reviews are with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

....you all are not seeing on the forum yet is a Nikon Fire sale as i may just completely switch. Ill get another body a A7 with the zoom which I will trade out later when the 24-70 comes out but I am at least getting the 55mm and flash and i may either go with a 35mm or a Zeiss 35mm F2 in Nikon mount. My idea is A7R for manual work, clients, landscapes and such and use the A7 for PR work. Its almost like having a D600 and D800e the way i got this figured out. This could also be a big mistake.....
    Guy, I'm sure you'll have the camera in your hands for a while and be quite sure before you make such a jump. Between the FF Nikons and the Sony A7R, the biggest difference for me is the "crispness" of operation. Not sure I am expressing this correctly. The D800 and D800E are just more responsive in an almost intuitive way, whether it is in focussing, pushing the shutter button, clicking on a lens etc...yes, intangible, but a big difference in use for me.

From an IQ standpoint, I think either will work. What I loose in lens availability in the Sony, I gain in portability, meaning, I have the camera with me most of the time, and especially when I am not expecting to be shooting.

Looking forward to your experience.....as long as I don't have to spend more money

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly think regardless of some of the bad press having the FE 35 and 55 for a total of what 1700 dollars is pretty cheap considering what people are bolting on these things. To ME they look like nice lenses to have in the bag. Regardless AF comes in handy once in awhile