Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 55 1.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 55 1.8

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before (and maybe I shouldn't be saying it then)...but there is a place for lenses with character (ie: often due to optical aberrations, intentionally or unintentionally incorporated into its design) and lenses that strive for technical perfection in terms of pure performance. Where the former may be more attractive to use with certain types of portraiture or possibly street work, the latter may be more applicable for landscape, interior and other forms of imagery. Of course the deliniation as to where each should be used is often quite subjective.

As Ben alluded to, there are different tools for drawing an image, whether it's a painter or a photographer. I don't see a lens with aberrations and a certain look "a crutch" that helps a photographer's who might otherwise been unable to convey impact to a image with a technically perfect lens, now able to do so with a lens with character. On the contrary, it often makes matters worse. especially if this lens with character is used inappropriately. On the other hand, such lenses most definitely have their place in my opinion as do technically proficient lenses. Its simply choosing the right tool for the right job or in this case, the intended look or lack thereof thats desired.

I'm intrigued by the Sony FE 55 and 35mm lenses and what they bring to the table. The 55 mm may not be everyone's up of tea and /or the 35mm, but they're impressive and luckily there are also so many choices in optics to bolt to the A7(r). I watch this all unfold with great interest as well as future lens releases by Sony.

Martin, strikingly impressive images and love the last one for a variety of reasons. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4th January 2014 at 15:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Dave.... I think most of the negative posts about any of the Sony lenses were regarding mis-aligned lenses, and rightfully so. Quality control is difficult at this price point and I think Sony has room for improvement. I, for one, need lenses that can focus accurately on a planar image.... that's just me. A lot of lenses just aren't designed to do that but the two Sony releases are very capable if good copies can be obtained. Took me 3 55's to get a good one....... my first 35 is a keeper. So far a very happy camper....

Victor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Really diggin the lens...it's as sharp as the 50 lux asph, with a differen OOF....less OOF due the aperture, but closer focus to compensate...every well executed lens, as is the 35 FE....great start for Sony... Here are some from today with the lens:

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That first one is a real keeper !

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Really diggin the lens...it's as sharp as the 50 lux asph, with a differen OOF....less OOF due the aperture, but closer focus to compensate...every well executed lens, as is the 35 FE....great start for Sony... Here are some from today with the lens:

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think this whole exercise from Sony marks a bit of milestone.

IMO, they have put one of the better photographic tools with-in financial striking distance of a lot more people. I mean, come on, all this A7 stuff is being compared to other tools that are but a dream to most, and in many cases stacking up pretty decently (or dare I say it, outperforming them).

While not exactly inexpensive, these tools are close to 1/2 the price of comparable equipment (in some cases 1/4 to 1/10th the price) ... not to mention 1/2 the size. Then for a mere pittance, one can secure an adapter and use some of the lenses you already own, or ones long forgotten that are less expensive.

Not for everyone and everything to be sure, but I for one am grateful to spend less to get more ... for once. Retirement and other more pressing life matters can do that to you

Many thanks to all those fine photographers here on GetDpi that show their stuff, and what can be done when any tool is in the right hands. Great images everyone.

- Marc
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

55FE vs. Coastal Optics 60mm

I have been using the Coastal Optics 60mm on my D800E as well as IR modified D800 for some time now. Nothing short of Rodie lenses with the IQ180 beat this combo for me. It's not a cheap lens, and pretty much hand built to order.

Naturally, I tried it on the A7R with Novoflex adapter, and the results continued to be very good. The manual focus enhancements in the A7R and the small size of this lens make it a great combo.

Just for fun, I thought I'd compare it to the 55FE today. These were shot handheld, so nothing scientific, but that is how I intend to shoot the A7R. The results were certainly not what I expected. The 55FE was visibly better. I thought this could be an A7R with non-native lens issue and compared the CO lens on the A7R against the CO lens on the D800E. Both images were identical.

Here are the samples. CO on D800E, 55FE on A7R. All shot at f4. The CO is great from wide open, and f4 is it's max aperture. Interestingly, even at f8, it never catches up with the FE at f4. All are 1000px wide crops.

55FE

CO60

55FE Center

CO60 Center

55FE near right

CO60 near right

55FE far right

CO60 far right
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images