The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

55 1.8

ecsh

I just got notification that the 55 1.8 lens is now in stock at B&H. Anyone getting one of these babies?
Joe

vjbelle

I have extremely high expectations for this lens..... I have read reports that it occupies a space near the mighty Otus.:cool: I will find out soon enough.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Look forward to seeing some images. Right now I don't have a 55mm on my Nikon system but maybe it would be nice on the Sony system. Hmmm

My patience is growing thin waiting for UPS to delivery my goodies even worse my espresso is on the same truck and I ran out today. Damn this is not good. LOL

If this is close to the Otus its a done deal for me for 1k. No question

iiiNelson

I'm thinking about getting this lens at I don't have the exact fov and I do want at least 1 AF lens...

GrahamB

The Photoblogger has a "review". Review: Sony 55mm f1.8 (Full Frame E Mount) - The Phoblographer

The lens looks to be excellent optically, and build quality seems good. I'll probably pick one up as my sole AF lens for my a7r. My one objection is the size.

I purchased the vertical grip to balance the camera with some of my DSLR lenses, and the 55/1.8 too looks like it would benefit from a beefier body.

Photo from The Photoblogger

Graham

iiiNelson

I don think it's much larger than a telephoto or super fast specialty M lens like the newer (Noctilux, 75 Lux, 35 Nokton etc.) The hood makes it look larger.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a feeling many folks have my thought of having at least one native lens on board. This maybe it. Not sure why they did not have the 24-70 ready at launch, that would be a big seller for them.

I wish they did a 28 prime and this 55. Perfect setup

iiiNelson

I have a feeling many folks have my thought of having at least one native lens on board. This maybe it. Not sure why they did not have the 24-70 ready at launch, that would be a big seller for them.

I wish they did a 28 prime and this 55. Perfect setup
I thought it was kind of odd to have 2 wide to short telephoto options initially. I thought one of those should've been a 12 to 16- 35 option if not a semi fast portrait like a 100/2 or so.

jagsiva

I don think it's much larger than a telephoto or super fast specialty M lens like the newer (Noctilux, 75 Lux, 35 Nokton etc.) The hood makes it look larger.
It looks about the size of a 55lux with adapter. A big plus is the weight, around 260grams (approx 1/2 lb). Should find out when I get it in my hands by Friday hopefully.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have mine, been shooting with it a fair bit on a 'getting to know you' basis and will report back soon...

D

Deleted member 7792

I have mine, been shooting with it a fair bit on a 'getting to know you' basis and will report back soon...
Looking forward to it, Tim. You're my favorite guinea pig, er I mean early adopter. :ROTFL:

Joe

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's a few from today with the 55mm F1.8 - but none from which I would draw any real conclusions.

Fist impressions: it is very nice but yet again, I think I have a dodgy copy of a Sony Zeiss lens. I need to test it properly but I think it's softer on the left when focussed on centre, and focus falls a little closer on the left than on the right.

I shot for a couple of hours walking around and I tried a variety of focus modes (flexible spot, zone, face, single, continuous in various permutations) and for anything that is moving all I can say is either forgeddit or pre-focus. I shot 21 frames using continuous, both with and without face detection, of people moving painfully slowly on a congested ice rink and not one shot was anywhere near focus, barring one of a father and child who were effectively stationary.

Anything with bright or flashing lights is a no-no with AF, it just gets confused.

A shutter speed of over 1/125th is needed to be reasonably sure of no shake.

Rendition looks to be very nice and I think that a properly centred copy might give the 50 Lux a run for its money. OOF is nice, there's a tiny touch of CA, distortion is low, flare resistance seems good.

More to come. Here's a gallery that I'll add to, mostly with full sized images developed from RAW in LR 5.3 and with sharpening at 50/0.6/70/20 which is a touch lower than I use for the D800E.

V

Vivek

Anything with bright or flashing lights is a no-no with AF, it just gets confused.
Isn't that the general problem with the way the AF works with these cams? Focus on the background instead of the person.