The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

55 1.8

D

Deleted member 7792

A shutter speed of over 1/125th is needed to be reasonably sure of no shake.
That's what I find with the 50 Lux on the A7R. 1/2F seems to work.

Rendition looks to be very nice and I think that a properly centred copy might give the 50 Lux a run for its money. OOF is nice, there's a tiny touch of CA, distortion is low, flare resistance seems good.
High praise indeed. My interest in this lens would be for the AF, so if the AF is dodgy, I'll pass.

Tim, thanks for posting these and I look forward to more of your observations on this lens. I haven't written it off.

Joe

tashley

Subscriber Member
Isn't that the general problem with the way the AF works with these cams? Focus on the background instead of the person.

yeah, there's a lot of that going on. For shooting a Christmas fair, you really need a Leica...

cunim

Here's a few from today with the 55mm F1.8 - but none from which I would draw any real conclusions.

Fist impressions: it is very nice but yet again, I think I have a dodgy copy of a Sony Zeiss lens. I need to test it properly but I think it's softer on the left when focussed on centre, and focus falls a little closer on the left than on the right.

I shot for a couple of hours walking around and I tried a variety of focus modes (flexible spot, zone, face, single, continuous in various permutations) and for anything that is moving all I can say is either forgeddit or pre-focus. I shot 21 frames using continuous, both with and without face detection, of people moving painfully slowly on a congested ice rink and not one shot was anywhere near focus, barring one of a father and child who were effectively stationary.

Anything with bright or flashing lights is a no-no with AF, it just gets confused.

A shutter speed of over 1/125th is needed to be reasonably sure of no shake.

Rendition looks to be very nice and I think that a properly centred copy might give the 50 Lux a run for its money. OOF is nice, there's a tiny touch of CA, distortion is low, flare resistance seems good.

More to come. Here's a gallery that I'll add to, mostly with full sized images developed from RAW in LR 5.3 and with sharpening at 50/0.6/70/20 which is a touch lower than I use for the D800E.

Tim, thanks for posting these. I am holding off on this lens until I see what your conclusion is.

I note in the image of the pylon thingie there are concentric magenta rings. Was this flat-fielded? If yes, the flat field process has issues. If no, the camera has issues. The most obvious ring does coincide with the riders so perhaps we are seeing a "spew trail".

bcaslis

The Photoblogger has a "review". Review: Sony 55mm f1.8 (Full Frame E Mount) - The Phoblographer

The lens looks to be excellent optically, and build quality seems good. I'll probably pick one up as my sole AF lens for my a7r. My one objection is the size.

I purchased the vertical grip to balance the camera with some of my DSLR lenses, and the 55/1.8 too looks like it would benefit from a beefier body.

Photo from The Photoblogger

Graham

It's not big. It balances perfectly on the A7 body without the grip. The lens hood is large but it's smaller and lighter than the 28-70 kit lens. Got mine today. Weather is poor but here's one that I like.

Building stone by bcaslis, on Flickr

fotografz

B&H stock was gone in a nano second ... snooze you lose :facesmack:

Bet Sony wasn't ready for the demand this A7/A7R is creating.

Bet other camera makers weren't either ... :ROTFL:

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Victor you just been elected the official GetDPI guinea pig on the 55. You are to proceed directly into creative mode with it and have some fun. You better post images or I'm coming after it. LOL

By the time I saw that notice it was long gone at B&H

V

Vivek

Victor you just been elected the official GetDPI guinea pig on the 55. You are to proceed directly into creative mode with it and have some fun. You better post images or I'm coming after it. LOL

That is a very smooth way to encourage someone to post some pictures instead just words! :D ;)

Werner U has been posting shots taken with the 55/1.8 already.

V

Vivek

does anyone else hate the beer can moderne look of the zeiss/sony lenses?
I thought I was the odd one out! :D

I can not stand the looks of the Otus, and the ones they make for NEX' as well. Modern?!

W.Utsch

does anyone else hate the beer can moderne look of the zeiss/sony lenses?
Thats true, but make the stuff modern or retro there will be someone complaining.
Though the look of the ZE native lenses is not my very favorite, the quality of the lens is exceptional and on the cam the whole looks consistent and clean.

vjbelle

Will do.....;)