The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

55 1.8

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh Marc the ZA 85mm 1.4 noisy as hell but what a beauty. Really nice on this cam. Love the 1.4 aberrations than love it about perfect at 2.8. Great two for one lens aka Leica R 80 lux. Glad I grabbed it

D

Deleted member 7792

Crikey, is that little USB cord proprietary? Kinda makes it a precarious item ... misplace that and you're screwed.
Marc,

No worries. Standard A connector on one end and Micro B on the other. Available in various lengths on the Web.

Joe

Don Libby

We're going crazy here, Sandy ordered the 55 which will arrive Monday and preordered the 24-70. Looks like Sandy will get completely away from Canon.

Don Libby

Not surprised Don. She would live something like this
She having some problems with arthritis in her hands and just able to continuer using the much heavier 1dsiii. We got a NEX7 shortly after I bought yours for IR work and she's loved using it. Ordered the a7r while here in Jackson and while the Canon lenses work she'd prefer no adaptor thus we're looking at what Sony is offering, first the 55 then in the end of Feb the (according to B&H) the 24-70. Now we need to see about longer lenses like a 135 and either a 200 or 300.

Sorry this is slightly off topic.

Don

Guy Mancuso

I'll get the 24-70 for PR work. What I would like to do is have the 24-70, 85 1.4 and the 135 for AF and PR for the A7

Than for the A7r go manual glass all Zeiss and Leica

Don Libby

I'll get the 24-70 for PR work. What I would like to do is have the 24-70, 85 1.4 and the 135 for AF and PR for the A7

Than for the A7r go manual glass all Zeiss and Leica
If it were me I'd be using Zeiss and Leica lens as well and maybe a Voltlander (had a 50mm when I still had the M9). I don't have a problem with MF but Sandy does and she keeps reminding me I shoot Medium format and this camera is hers. To that I say Yes Dear!

It's the truth, I can't remember the last time I touched or even wanted to touch the 1dsiii.

kuau

Workshop Member
So since I am the odd ball out and only have the A7, besides all the "pros" who purchased both A7 and A7R, I currently have the Zeiss 50/2 ZM with a voigtlander adaptor.
Besides the obvious, no AF what else am I missing by not having the FE 55/1.8

Guy Mancuso

If you want AF with no adapter than right now your only choice . These cameras the MF is so good that for some AF may not be needed. Easiest manual focus by far over anything else in 35mm.

iiiNelson

So since I am the odd ball out and only have the A7, besides all the "pros" who purchased both A7 and A7R, I currently have the Zeiss 50/2 ZM with a voigtlander adaptor.
Besides the obvious, no AF what else am I missing by not having the FE 55/1.8
Slightly longer focal length. Slightly faster lens. Different rendering. Don't fret though. The ZM50 Planar is a great lens and works great on either A7. I have both (and my 50 Lux) still.

fotografz

If you want AF with no adapter than right now your only choice . These cameras the MF is so good that for some AF may not be needed. Easiest manual focus by far over anything else in 35mm.
Even though I ordered the 55/1.8 and will probably get the 24-70/4 just to have a smaller AF kit ... I cannot agree with you more regarding the manual focus possibilities of this camera.

The acid test of this is use of my Leica M 50/0.95, wide open, close up, with off-center composition.

Right now I am in "training mode" ... this is a new focusing approach with certain muscle memory techniques that have to be acquired ... in other words, that "work" you referred to in another post ... work you have to do to get familiar and proficient.

Bringing up the mag square and wheeling it off center then magnifying it to focus is getting faster and faster with practice ... I have had to learn to keep my finger off the shutter button while focusing since it is quite sensitive and snaps back to full view if you even brush it slightly ... I also caught myself shooting while I was still slightly moving the focus collar ... which doesn't work at 0.95 :rolleyes:

Old dog, new tricks ... I figure I'm a week away from getting it down pat.

Here's that off-center 0.95 close up using mag focus on Irakly's eyeball ... with DOF so thin it could give you a paper cut :shocked:

"Dinky and Grandma take a Christmas evening nap" ... another with the 0.95 using an ISO undreamed of with my M9.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Agree Marc that reset on the shutter is too sensitive. Like to see that a full half press. I do the same thing once in awhile is touch the shutter and goes back to full viewing.

Totally agree on getting used to the system and its abilities and also training ourselves. This takes time. We have 3 custom functions the dial does about 5 things than a Fn button with much more control. This just takes time to learn. We could use a few updates in certain things but that is to be expected.

But I have to say and this is extremely rare for me to say but I'm actually excited and thrilled again about a camera. To me its a fun challenge and I have yet to miss focus on anything yet with any lens. I love my manual focus lenses but seriously every Modern DSLR absolutely sucks at focusing them. This changes the game. End of the day I get paid to deliver a image if something actually helps me do that instead of limit me, it just makes me better at my job. Plus it frees the artist in you.

vjbelle

I received my 3rd copy of the 55 and..... I still can't believe it but its on the money.:thumbup: The first thing I did was shoot a Resolving Power Chart and checked the sides, top and bottom and corners. When compared to the center they are all very similar. Compared to my previous copies which had sharp center, sharp right side and completely out of focus left side. That's decentering!:eek: This the easiest and quickest way to check a lens for decentering. All the talk about making sure the camera is completely parallel with the target is way overblown. Close is good enough..... if the lens is off it will show. If you get a bad lens send it back and get another.... good ones are out there.

Victor

V

Vivek

This is good to know but what guarantee is there that there will not be decentering after some time? Are these made just like the NEX E mount lenses? If so, I will stay away from them. I have taken apart a few of the (NEX) lenses to know how badly they are put together.

vjbelle

Totally agree... The two Sony primes are not meant for the front lines. I consider them very delicate. Time will tell.... I have Leica and Zeiss glass and would like to try some of the Voightlander's.

Victor