The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

55 1.8

D

Deleted member 7792

Meanwhile, the 55/1.8ZA test posted at SLRCLUB shows how far away it is from perfection.
Really?! Perfection?! That's what we're expecting now from a Sony lens that costs less than $1,000? Of course the lens isn't perfect. Neither are my Leica M-system and S-system lenses that cost 3x-10x more than the Sony 55mm. But the Sony punches above its weight class, to use a boxing expression. And believe me, I'm not a Sony fanboy.

Joe

turtle

Looks pretty good to me...

I am assuming that they have a 80-100mm prime in the pipeline as well. I agree that a smaller 50mm would appeal to a lot of people and perhaps we will see one of those too in due course. Zeiss (non-Sony) and other third party manufacturers will be in on this party soon. If I'm right and the Alphas sell as well as I think, the Tokinas, Tamrons, Sigmas and many more will be all over e-mount.

If Zeiss were smart, they would consider making the new forthcoming manual lenses in M mount, with a coupled/digital adaptor for e-mount. This way you'd be able to shoot them on any Leica M as well as on E-mount cameras, with full aperture read out and communication. I assume this would be possible. Also, with retrofocal designs working brilliantly on the A7 series, presumably anything that is optically great on the A7R would also be great on the M?

Makten

I agree that a smaller 50mm would appeal to a lot of people and perhaps we will see one of those too in due course.
I doubt that there will be a smaller, native ~50 mm lens. Don't know if you've seen the lens IRL, but it really isn't large at all. If one wants something smaller, there should be no problems using the ZM 50/2.

If Zeiss were smart, they would consider making the new forthcoming manual lenses in M mount, with a coupled/digital adaptor for e-mount.
It would also restrict them from optimizing the optical design for the Alpha cameras. The FE 55 is a good example, since the rearmost lens element is closer to the sensor than the M mount would allow. It wouldn't surprise me if they've also taken the sensor filter stack into the calculations of the design, and that would make it not work well with the much thinner filter of the M:s.

I hope for a fastish (f/1.8) 35 mm Zeiss lens that is built like the ZM:s. :toocool:

turtle

Good points, Makten. Maybe someone else will put out some compact/pancake lenses. A 40-50mm f2.8 pancake would make a lot of people happy.

Personally, I am most interested in slow optically amazing and compact lenses. A slew of f4, or even f4.5 lenses will killer performance, in the 16-28mm range would be nice. The A7R needs the sort of optical performance we got used to with the likes of the 25mm ZM, 24 3.8 Elmar etc.

I feel this 55 1.8 sonnar has the potential to be a real jack of all trades and, for many, the only fast prime they will use. I'd be happy with the rest being compact travel lenses .

FRIeD.eGG

I dont think this lens is lack of character. This lens is comparable to other modern Zeiss lens. It has a good bokeh, colours, and great sharpness and 3D look. I think the 3D look is comparable with other Zeiss. The 3D feel is even better that the 35 in RX1, 50 lux ASPH and much much better that the Zeiss 24/1.8 E mount lens. The 24 1.8, to my extent, has no Zeiss character, and I sold it immediately. The color and bokeh, is not bad, but I like the lux better. But for AF and price, I bought it and love it when I use the camera for snapshot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Malina DZ

Really?! Perfection?!
I did exaggerate with the term “perfection”, my apologies. FE55/1.8ZA might be the best native lens so far. I have no personal experience with Leica gear but I do shoot a lot with Sony and its (Minolta) 50/1.4 lens which is faster, lighter, smaller, focuses closer, renders OOF highlight shape better with less iris blades, and is two times cheaper. So I probably do expect a lot from Sony and 30 years of evolution.
It’s a good lens though as Makten and others have showed what it’s capable of in creative hands.

cunim

Sunlight in cedars, A7r FE55, f3.5, 1/200 + 100% crop
Nice rendering from the lens and lots of detail

Ben Rubinstein

Makten, you make a good point. Lens character cannot be used as a crutch and too often is. However. In drawing there is a huge difference in impression between a drawing done with a regular propelling pencil and charcoal. Sometimes you want the sharp clarity. But sometimes you want to live in the dream world. Jim Collum on this forum first introduced me to the concept of using that 'soft pencil' back in the days when I was stitching for ultimate detail and resolution, with his use of the 110mm that Marc referenced, old large format lenses and pre-asph lenses. A different tool for saying a very different thing.

Stitched 40 megapixels of exquisite detail using tripod, MLU, cable release, L lenses, yada, yada.

Lensbaby Composer single lens element @ f22 iso 6400 handheld.

Two very different tools for very different ways of communicating. My students have many different thicknesses of pencil and charcoal in their drawers....

Last edited:

D&A

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before (and maybe I shouldn't be saying it then)...but there is a place for lenses with character (ie: often due to optical aberrations, intentionally or unintentionally incorporated into its design) and lenses that strive for technical perfection in terms of pure performance. Where the former may be more attractive to use with certain types of portraiture or possibly street work, the latter may be more applicable for landscape, interior and other forms of imagery. Of course the deliniation as to where each should be used is often quite subjective.

As Ben alluded to, there are different tools for drawing an image, whether it's a painter or a photographer. I don't see a lens with aberrations and a certain look "a crutch" that helps a photographer's who might otherwise been unable to convey impact to a image with a technically perfect lens, now able to do so with a lens with character. On the contrary, it often makes matters worse. especially if this lens with character is used inappropriately. On the other hand, such lenses most definitely have their place in my opinion as do technically proficient lenses. Its simply choosing the right tool for the right job or in this case, the intended look or lack thereof thats desired.

I'm intrigued by the Sony FE 55 and 35mm lenses and what they bring to the table. The 55 mm may not be everyone's up of tea and /or the 35mm, but they're impressive and luckily there are also so many choices in optics to bolt to the A7(r). I watch this all unfold with great interest as well as future lens releases by Sony.

Martin, strikingly impressive images and love the last one for a variety of reasons. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

vjbelle

Very well said Dave.... I think most of the negative posts about any of the Sony lenses were regarding mis-aligned lenses, and rightfully so. Quality control is difficult at this price point and I think Sony has room for improvement. I, for one, need lenses that can focus accurately on a planar image.... that's just me. A lot of lenses just aren't designed to do that but the two Sony releases are very capable if good copies can be obtained. Took me 3 55's to get a good one....... my first 35 is a keeper. So far a very happy camper....

Victor

ashwinrao1

Really diggin the lens...it's as sharp as the 50 lux asph, with a differen OOF....less OOF due the aperture, but closer focus to compensate...every well executed lens, as is the 35 FE....great start for Sony... Here are some from today with the lens:

Annna T

That first one is a real keeper !

Really diggin the lens...it's as sharp as the 50 lux asph, with a differen OOF....less OOF due the aperture, but closer focus to compensate...every well executed lens, as is the 35 FE....great start for Sony... Here are some from today with the lens:

fotografz

I think this whole exercise from Sony marks a bit of milestone.

IMO, they have put one of the better photographic tools with-in financial striking distance of a lot more people. I mean, come on, all this A7 stuff is being compared to other tools that are but a dream to most, and in many cases stacking up pretty decently (or dare I say it, outperforming them).

While not exactly inexpensive, these tools are close to 1/2 the price of comparable equipment (in some cases 1/4 to 1/10th the price) ... not to mention 1/2 the size. Then for a mere pittance, one can secure an adapter and use some of the lenses you already own, or ones long forgotten that are less expensive.

Not for everyone and everything to be sure, but I for one am grateful to spend less to get more ... for once. Retirement and other more pressing life matters can do that to you :rolleyes:

Many thanks to all those fine photographers here on GetDpi that show their stuff, and what can be done when any tool is in the right hands. Great images everyone. :thumbs:

- Marc

jagsiva

55FE vs. Coastal Optics 60mm

I have been using the Coastal Optics 60mm on my D800E as well as IR modified D800 for some time now. Nothing short of Rodie lenses with the IQ180 beat this combo for me. It's not a cheap lens, and pretty much hand built to order.

Naturally, I tried it on the A7R with Novoflex adapter, and the results continued to be very good. The manual focus enhancements in the A7R and the small size of this lens make it a great combo.

Just for fun, I thought I'd compare it to the 55FE today. These were shot handheld, so nothing scientific, but that is how I intend to shoot the A7R. The results were certainly not what I expected. The 55FE was visibly better. I thought this could be an A7R with non-native lens issue and compared the CO lens on the A7R against the CO lens on the D800E. Both images were identical.

Here are the samples. CO on D800E, 55FE on A7R. All shot at f4. The CO is great from wide open, and f4 is it's max aperture. Interestingly, even at f8, it never catches up with the FE at f4. All are 1000px wide crops.

55FE

CO60

55FE Center

CO60 Center

55FE near right

CO60 near right

55FE far right

CO60 far right