The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 or A7r with m-lenses

retow

Who of the digital Leica M owners has tried a A7(r) and how satisfied are you with the Sony output?
Center resolution of the A7r with m lenses is impressive. But corner to corner and edge to edge performance is not up to what the M9 delivers. Even with the outstanding Summilux 50 asph stopped down to f8, f11 @infinity edge performance (and it is a wide "edge") is disappointing imo. And then there is a crispness/micro contrast with the M9 files, I simply do not see with the A7(r). As a landscape camera, a Sigma DP Merrill easily betters the Sony A7(r) Leica-M lens combo. For connoisseurs, the RX1 with the exquisite files it produces is the FF Sony to get. So is the A7(r) just a Mustang Shelby of cameras, a monster sensor under the hood, but the rest rather mundane and lacking refinement?
What`s your early verdict?
(I`m not trying to bash the A7r which I own along a M9.)

Last edited:

CharlesK

I tend to agree:) Having the M240, RX1R (My fiancee's cam) and the A7r. Love the IQ from the A7r, but it has been hit and miss with M lenses, and four different adapters. I am a 50mm person, so the A7r was my choice for this reason, thinking the M mount lenses would not be an issue. The testing I have done, suggests that 50 Lux Asph, and 50 Noct f/1.0 have issues also. For portraits, and close work this is not an issue but for general work there is quite a difference, just comparing DNG files from the M240 particularly at the mid to range, and the outer edges. I also have differences between all four of my adapters, 2 Novaflex and 2 Metabones from Sony. The 75 Cron AA, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA are excellent with no issues to date. For now my A7r, is patiently waiting for the FE 55/1.8.

I feel there is a great need for Sony to introduce their FE range for the A7r/A7 as soon as possible. The initial sparkle of testing the variety of lenses, has almost driven my crazy, as some M lenses work, and others don't on different adapters. The IQ when it works, it is amazing.

iiiNelson

I haven't done any official testing but I think the answer lies in your kit as to what's best. Some Leica M mount lenses work better on the M cameras. Some are fine on both. Some are better on the A7/r. The new Noctilux and 50 Planar are two lenses that come to mind.

jonoslack

HI There
I tried a series of M lenses - I thought they were all better on the M(240) so I sent the Sony back - I might reconsider this when I've seen results from 'native' Sony/Zeiss lenses, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep shooting my M lenses on my M camera (I like shooting with a rangefinder anyway).

All the best

V

Vivek

So is the A7(r) just a Mustang Shelby of cameras, a monster sensor under the hood, but the rest rather mundane and lacking refinement?
What`s your early verdict?
(I`m not trying to bash the A7r which I own along a M9.)
Hi, I do not own a M9 nor do I shoot landscapes. Mustang Shelby would be an apt description if I shoot landscapes with it and with non FE lenses.

Tim Ashley has a detailed write up here on the FE 35 on A7R: Tim Ashley Photography | Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA on the A7R: The 'Bisto' lens.
An enormous amount of work is condensed into one word and that is in the title. :)

Also, one thing I noticed (on the MM) might be of relevance here. My ~$50 Jupiter-3 takes on a new life when it is coded for a Summilux. There is a visible jump in contrast compared to the non coded lens (or LTM to M adapter).

Given that, I am hoping that I can persuade someone in PRC to come up with chips that one can attach to old lenses/adapters to bring out some extra luster (Sony A7R). I do not have any desire to buy the FE lenses (especially at their current asking prices). An old and cheap Revuenon 50/1.4, to me is far better constructed than any of these plastic fantastics.

Also, this system is in its infancy. It is a great step up from the NEX'. Apart from the lenses, the flash area is sorely lacking. The new hot-shoe is not entirely charming. One of these days, Sony will get it right when they allow themselves to. :)

To Sony's credit, they have rightly classified the A7/A7R as "intermediate" level cameras. Their last "pro" camera was the A900.