Site Sponsors

Thread: 35 Mm fe or 55 mm fe?

Post Thanks / Like

35 Mm fe or 55 mm fe?

I have a a7 and kit zoom. I wish to add a prime lens. Should it be a 35mm fe, or a 55 mm fe? Obviously there is a difference in both focal length, and aperture. These differences aside what should I choose? I shoot mostly landscapes, street, and travel photos.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 35 Mm fe or 55 mm fe?

It really depends on you but I would say 35 as it just a nicer travel type lens. But you could flip that to a 55 and still be correct. Its a tough call. I'm more a 35 guy but that's me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would opt for the FE 35, too. Not only because of its FOV, but also due to its size (the hood is tiny, but seems to be effective).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

in the street, the 55 will get you a few steps farther away from your subject, the 35 needs you closer if you want to eliminate more background confusion.

how you work will do it. i prefer 35 (or 28), and 75mm, don't seem to use my 50 so much, but it can depend on your mood. usually i bring two lenses only

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, "depends". Depends on your style and requirements.
    I took a Leica X-1 through Europe a few months ago, fixed 24mm (so "effective" 35mm) and wondered if I would find it too limiting. Quite the opposite, nothing else to carry, just the camera with fixed lens. Yes, I missed a few shots, but the others were all there, and I possibly got more because I wasn't faffing around switching lenses, or trying to decide.
    So, when my A7R arrived, the only lens I got was the 35/2.8. Yes, I have tried the CV25mm and the Canon 50mm f1.2, plus an R 100/4 macro, but in reality, the 35/2.8 lives on the front.
    Like Jim, I feel 35 and 75 would be all I needed. Hopefully there will be an FE72 soon?
    So, my suggestion: FE35.
    Gary