The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need just a little help. Please

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay the 7r is in hand. But i have no adapter till tomorrow which means i have no dang lens to bolt on it. I have a lot of the menus setup and the FN button setup to get to certain settings easily. On custom settings I put C1 to focus mag. which until i get a lens on here just not sure yet. okay custom 2 is ISO and custom 3 is zoom. This all may change and advice would be nice from folks since i will be using my Nikon mounts with a Novaflex adapter

Next somewhere i read about formatting easier to a function or custom setting. Crazy they buried that so deep in the menus. Anyway need guidance here.

I just tried my Nikon flash in A mode seems to work but obviously need lens attached.

Okay i saved the dumbest question for last. I know the answer but just want to confirm I'm not half baked. lol

With the Nikon G lens I obviously will use the Nova flex to adjust aperture both my 85mm g lens and my Sigma 35mm are without aperture rings so no choice here. Now my Leica 19mm and Zeiss 135 both in Nikon mounts have aperture rings. Now correct me if I am wrong but I would assume leave the Novafles aperture control to wide open than just use the aperture on rings on the lens. Correct.

Now will the viewing at lets say F8 auto adjust to wide viewing brightness. So I can focus and everything stopped down to F8?

I may have a few more questions later but little advice goes a long way. Thanks in advance

Guy Mancuso

Yes the Novaflex. I ran out of espresso this morning and i am just NOT functioning like a human being. LOL

How about the format function

k-hawinkler

Novoflex not Novaflex! :eek: I just like having a bit of fun. :D

Format and sensor cleaning function very easy to remember.
Push the button left of the EVF, last panel, #3 and #5 or something like that.
I first format, then clean as camera needs to be shut off after cleaning.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, there's no sensible answer to the 'which buttons' question. For example, I keep on re-jigging them as I work towards a deeper understanding of how I'll use the camera and neither the short nor long versions of the manual are significantly useful in pinning down how these various functions work, especially in combination.

It also depends on how you like to use your adapted lenses: do you use peaking or not? Magnification? And will you try the Zebra (actually don't bother!) function to see where exposure is blowing?

For example I have just re-set the main command dial's centre button to its shipping state, which is Eye detect AF, a feature I never thought I'd need but might be useful. As you experiment, you'll change everything anyhow.

Here's my current setup:
Control Wheel: ISO
AEL button: AEL Hold
AF/MF Button: AF/MF Ctrl Toggle
Cn1: Focus Settings
Cn2: Peaking level
Cn3: Smile/Face detect
Centre Button: Eye detect
Left Button: Drive mode
Right Button: WB
Down Button: Focus area.

But that changes regularly. However, setting as I have done
AF/MF Button: AF/MF Ctrl Toggle
Cn1: Focus Settings
has a logic that becomes clear when you shoot, if you use MF or adapted lenses at all as I do.

The Novoflex instruction sheet tells you how to attach a lens: set the adaptor to aperture closed. It will then work with either a G lens by turning the blue aperture control ring on the adaptor, or on a regular lens by turning the lens aperture ring.

HTH!

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Tim yes i will be using focus peaking and magnifier for sure with adapted lenses. I did do zebra on but I so will see where that goes.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Tim yes i will be using focus peaking and magnifier for sure with adopted lenses. I did do zebra but I also have his to on so will se where that goes.
I tried Zebra. Hopeless for large aperture wide open lenses.
Mostly I got just a glare on the EVF until I briefly dialed down exposure.
Then the EVF would snap into a useful view and I could switch the exposure back.

Please, let us know what you find. Thanks.

ecsh

As far as format goes, once you are done in the menus, if you need to go back it, it goes to the last spot you were visiting. My last spot is format.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks just noticed that putting in a new card. Thats a good thing

I got a feeling I need 4 batteries. I have 3 now. LOL

k-hawinkler

This is crazy. iPhone shot
Progress maybe?

I have the D800E as well. It's great for AF with Nikkor lenses like the 80-400 II.
However for manual lenses, including Nikkor ones, I much prefer the A7R with magnification.
It's more precise than focus peaking or the green dot focus confirmation. :)

Guy Mancuso

Progress maybe?

I have the D800E as well. It's great for AF with Nikkor lenses like the 80-400 II.
However for manual lenses, including Nikkor ones, I much prefer the A7R with magnification.
It's more precise than focus peaking or the green dot focus confirmation. :)
I know and the WTF comes into play here. Have to say if all the lenses where out and if everything was perfect at first blush I maybe making some serious changes. Not there yet though. But I am seriously tired of lugging **** all my career.