The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r returned defective

jpaulmoore

Much to my dismay I had to return my A7r due to a defect in the LCD (Lower Left Corner) It looked as though there was some type of separation. At first I didn't pay much attention to it, thinking there was a bubble in the protective removable cover over the LCD, but upon closer inspection found the defect. In hindsight isn't it strange to not have a protective cover on the LCD? Is it normal Sony procedure/practice to not include this type of cover?

Being new to Sony I sure hope this is a fluke and not how Sony normally builds their cameras......or at least the A7r. It doesn't leave me with a good first impression.

Anyway Amazon shows that this camera is in stock and so I have re-ordered.
J. Paul:(

Shac

I don't remember either of my Sony Nex's having LCD covers, can't even remember if they are glass or not. I heard the New Nikon has gone naked b/c the LCD face is glass. I bought Giotto glass covers from Hong Kong for most of my cameras. No problems

GrahamB

In hindsight isn't it strange to not have a protective cover on the LCD? Is it normal Sony procedure/practice to not include this type of cover?(
The a7r is my 4th Sony camera in the past 8 years (a700, a850, a77). All were perfect, no dead pixels, etc when purchased. They've remained trouble free and all are still in service.

Sony hasn't included a protective LCD cover with any of it's cameras, although they do offer one for sale. I've used GGS glass screen protectors for my other cameras, but there's not one available for the a7. I ordered the Sony model. I'm impressed with the Sony PCK-LM16. Installed, it's indistinguishable from the naked LCD.

Graham

Annna T

Just as the A7R was released, I visited a local brick and mortar shop to see the camera in person. The owner had only one demo model available and it had a defective LCD too. It was like a sheet folding across the lower left corner angle. At first we also believed that it was a protective screen, but no. It was really a badly damaged LCD. I don't know the end of the story. I forgot to ask her yesterday.