The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7.16 adds A7(r) support

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
A lot of folks output to Tiff and catalog in LR. I never done it but you can output to a DNG and do further work in LR. LR does have a few nice tools.

Ben Rubinstein

I tried the files in C1, perhaps I'm just used to the studio computer which is super fast but with the A7r files C1 is very slow on my computer, changes aren't happening in real time. ACR/LR are working fine.

Ron Pfister

I tried the files in C1, perhaps I'm just used to the studio computer which is super fast but with the A7r files C1 is very slow on my computer, changes aren't happening in real time. ACR/LR are working fine.
Could be C1's GPU-accelerated rendering? Perhaps the computer you observed this on has a much weaker GPU than the one you have in the studio?

Edit: neither LR nor ACR feature GPU-accelerated rendering (boo-hoo), so the performance difference between beefy workstations and tiny portables is often quite a bit smaller.

Ben Rubinstein

Not true actually, GPU is used a lot in ACR. It's why I bought a better video card and the previews speeded up a lot as a result. Both ACR and C1 take a couple of seconds to show the preview but only C1 lags on showing changes, i.e. redrawing. I realise that it's my computer of course. It's an old build.

Ron Pfister

Not true actually, GPU is used a lot in ACR. It's why I bought a better video card and the previews speeded up a lot as a result.
Really? :bugeyes: Is this new in PS/ACR CC? It certainly isn't in CS6 or any version of LR. This performance test has some info with this respect in the discussion:

Lightroom 4 and 5 Hardware Performance Test: Single vs Dual CPUs, Hard Drive Configurations, Previews and More!

Edit: I should add that to my knowledge, LR and ACR use the same rendering engine, and I would be *highly* surprised if one was GPU-accelerated and the other wasn't. Entirely different coding paradigm.

fotografz

Capture 1 really outperforms LR in my opinion

100% crop from jaggies (less pronounced on C1 and better details overall):

And a detail just in front of the focus area, better details out of C1

Better transitions too.
Hope this comparison will survive the print screen/jpeg/internet thing.

Oh yes, left shot from LR, right from C1...
Are you sure left is LR, right is C1 ... ?

In both cases the left one looks slightly better :eek:

- Marc

jagsiva

Am I the only one that actually prefers the UI and workflow in C1? Well I am Canadian and have been using it since v3.

Just tried some A7R files with 35FE. Look great. The lens does not have a profile, but the generic one lets you address most basic issues.

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been using C1 since the M8 came out and it is my go to converter. takes a bit to get into the mindset and vocabulary of the programmers, but it is now quite easy for me to get done what i want.

the "sessions" concept drives many over the edge, but i use it and i think the confusion is mainly due to semantics.

I see the site opening page now has some tips from Doug, which I applaud

thomas

Capture One vs. Lightroom with A7R...

Source files are taken from imaging-resource.

C1 shows noticably less Moire and Aliasing.
Or in other words... C1 extracts finer details.

A7R - Aliasing + Moire - C1 above, LR below:

A7R - Moire - C1 above, LR in the middle, below C1 again with Moire correction applied:

Moire is mostly only present in 2 of the 3 color chanels. You can use the unaffected color chanel to do a pretty much lossless restoration.
Here's the green chanel of the A7 (non-R this time) processed in C1 and LR. As you can see the green chanel of the C1 file is very good usable for moire restoration. In LR all three color chanels show moire:

anGy

Are you sure left is LR, right is C1 ... ?

In both cases the left one looks slightly better :eek:

- Marc
Yes Marc,
My goal here was based on checking details only: how far can we push the fine details in both LR & C1 before artefacts become unacceptable ?
IMO the C1 file clearly wins.
For the rest, the left LR file also looks too soft and 2D to my taste. The C1 has too much contrast however, but that was not the point of showing those crops.
If your remark is also based on details then I'm really surprised :confused:

anGy

Am I the only one that actually prefers the UI and workflow in C1? Well I am Canadian and have been using it since v3.
Nope, we're at least 2.
Using LR for 3 weeks now for the A7r and am very happy to go back to C1.
The one and only thing I'll miss is the highlights recovery of LR, something C1 should still improve.

Ron Pfister

Capture One vs. Lightroom with A7R...

Source files are taken from imaging-resource.

C1 shows noticably less Moire and Aliasing.
Or in other words... C1 extracts finer details.
…snip…
Thanks for posting these, Thomas. Quite a difference! I've been seeing the LR/ACR artifacts in DPR resolution tests, then. Been wondering for a while whether that could be improved upon during RAW conversion. Thanks for providing the answer!

fmueller

In my opinion, Capture One does better with the A7r. "orange peel" not an issue with C1 and the jaggies seem to be gone. Not sure why Adobe has such substandard results, it is unusual.

scho

In my opinion, Capture One does better with the A7r. "orange peel" not an issue with C1 and the jaggies seem to be gone. Not sure why Adobe has such substandard results, it is unusual.
Not that unusual. I still remember the frustration with Adobe LR/ACR trying to translate Fuji X sensor raw data and the horrible looking "water color" landscape images.